Great shot by Plavich, BUT

I never post on this board (Sports Forum), but have to say this.

I want to preface by saying that no doubt, that was probably the greatest shot in Charlotte history. I am so excited about this win.

But after the game, after a bunch of us celebrated, we reflected and wondered if this doesn’t allow for even more undiscipline with our shot selection. If we hadn’t taken so many bad shots, if we had run more of an offense, tried to get the ball inside to Withers, etc…, would we have had to rely on a last second shot by Plavich? This guy is allowed to shoot wherever and whenever he wants. And it isn’t only him. Yes, Goldwire hit some big shots but took some bad ones as well. We come away with a victory but does this actually make us better?

I like Lutz but my buddies that are not Charlotte fans but huge college basketball fans continously shake their heads when they watch us play (year after year). They say that no other college basketball coach would let happen what we continue to do; run an out-of-control offense with little/no shot selection.

I’m ecstatic about the win but also somewhat curious about if we can get better from this victory. It certainly doesn’t seem like we get smarter with each game.

I guess I should get use to us playing at this frantic pace with little discipline. With the way we play offense, we never will be a serious threat in the tourney. Plavich definitely has his nights, but more than not he hurts us; only from time to time does he really help us. When he leaves, we’ll find another guy to shoot consistently from 25 feet versus trying to find a go-to-guy (like Withers) in the post for an easier shot.

I see where you’re coming from and somewhere right now Pino and Pi are clapping I am sure as they read your post. I think there’s no doubt that if that shot doesn’t go in the mood of this board is totally different and I am included in that mix of anger and frustration. I frankly don’t give a crap what someone from another school says about Lutz to be honest either. But, there were some clear mistakes toight that have to be addressed. My hope and belief (maybe dream) is that this win will be a spring board toward bigger wins and not be like the UL win last year. I would like to think that shot will be one of the defining moments of our season toward a sweet 16 finish or better. I know that the mistakes of tonight will be debated and stressed by board members including myself after I re-watch the game tomorow, and probably posted on FireLutz.com or whatever the hell the name of that site is followed by useless stories of Plavich having a beer (shame :rolleyes: ). In closing I hope you’re wrong 49erblh, but I won’t argue with your points or concerns because they are valid and real. Merry X-mas!

Well stated blh and I respect your opinion, as well as agree with much of what you had to say. All I can say is thank goodness that shot dropped or this place would be hard to stomach for the next few days because of all the poor shots we took in the game.

But as for your curiosity about “can we get better from this victory”…

Yes, I do believe we can. I think we have come up on the short end of the stick too many times when a luck was on the table. It seemed only fitting that when they took the lead, that we would see another game we had in hand, slip away. But winning a game like this can do wonders for a team. And if you add in the trend of our team never peaking early, then good things can be in store for us. One thing cannot be denied: this team is LOADED with talent. The issue though is how we use that talent. If used properly, this can be a very, very good team that is capable of beating anyone on any given night.

Shot selection is a problem but my biggest frustration is just seeing flashes of what this team can do but not seeing it for 40 minutes. If this team got up for every game it played and played to their potential, it would be a season to remember. We can still have that but with our RPI/SOS, it’s going to have to come down to winning games. We just can’t afford many losses this season and we certainly have the ablility to avoid them.

PLav shot 6-17, that’s terrible. He was 3-4 at the FT, best three he hit all game.

Our team looked like garbage 2 games in a row against inferior teams. All that matters right now is that we won.

Coach is a very intelligent man, and he usally makes nice mid season adjustments. I trust him to see and adjust accordingly. He is driving this wagon and Ima hangin on for a helluva ride.

[i]Originally posted by switchfoot[/i]@Dec 22 2004, 11:49 PM [b] I see where you're coming from and somewhere right now Pino and Pi are clapping I am sure as they read your post. I think there's no doubt that if that shot doesn't go in the mood of this board is totally different and I am included in that mix of anger and frustration. I frankly don't give a crap what someone from another school says about Lutz to be honest either. But, there were some clear mistakes toight that have to be addressed. My hope and belief (maybe dream) is that this win will be a spring board toward bigger wins and not be like the UL win last year. I would like to think that shot will be one of the defining moments of our season toward a sweet 16 finish or better. I know that the mistakes of tonight will be debated and stressed by board members including myself after I re-watch the game tomorow, and probably posted on FireLutz.com or whatever the hell the name of that site is followed by useless stories of Plavich having a beer (shame :rolleyes: ). In closing I hope you're wrong 49erblh, but I won't argue with your points or concerns because they are valid and real. Merry X-mas! [/b]
[b]and Pi are clapping[/b]

Yup. I am clapping that a prayer dropped in. Plavich took about 10 bad shots, got toasted most of the night and hit one of the biggest shots in school history.

Good for him.

We almost lost to a real bad team.

Again, 9 for 25 from inside game and Withers had 7 turnovers. Plavs % better than 9 for 25 and you guys continue to roast him?

[i]Originally posted by Seniorfan[/i]@Dec 23 2004, 09:01 AM [b] Again, 9 for 25 from inside game and Withers had 7 turnovers. Plavs % better than 9 for 25 and you guys continue to roast him? [/b]
I was calling for us to work the ball inside out, which is what I think even the boo birds want, until Withers demonstrated that he couldnt hold onto the ball. I'm as big of a fan as he has on this board, but he wasn't getting it done. And frankly, the ONLY guy on the blocks who has shown any aptitude to score is Nance, and he's 6'6-6'7 or so (not a matchup nightmare).

My thoughts on shot selection all game long and driving home is that it’s a team problem, not one or two guys. Leemire and Plav are forcing bad shots at times because we DON’T SCREEN for them. That was a terrible display of setting offensive screens last night.

And Lutz does call Plav’s number too much. But I’m not sure if we have a better alternative. I think we might: I still like Eddie & EJ on the drive as much as I like a Plav 3 from a set piece (balance the playcalling). As long as Eddie plays holds on to the ^%$#ing ball too.

BTW PB - 5/17 isn’t “terrible” - it’s 35.3%. It isn’t good either. It’s entirely mediocre and too many shots for a guy who wasn’t hot. If he was feeling it, then that many shots would be ok.

At the same time, he made two of the most clutch shots in Niner history to end that game. It’s impossible to roast him. Thanks BP.

Wait Wait Wait, Who said Indiana was a “real bad team?” They may not look good record wise, but don’t forget what Michigan St. looked like last year. This team has played a brutal schedule and I firmly believe that this Indiana team could make some serious noise in the lack luster Big-10. They have been in every game this year with the exception of the Kentucky game and I think they have the ingredients to make an end of season run. The only complaint I have with our team is that we can not hold leads, we need to learn to play a slower more methodical pace of basketball.

I also think Indiana isn’t horrible and they will get it turned around. We matched them 39 all on the boards and they were 7-0 in the rebounding margin cat. this year. They have lost to 3 top 10 teams and blew 19 and 13 point leads in two other losses. This we be a nice win when its all said and done. They will end up over .500.

[b]I was calling for us to work the ball inside out, which is what I think even the boo birds want, until Withers demonstrated that he couldnt hold onto the ball. [/b]

Somebody needs to break out the JZ tapes. He was great at the kick-out. Eddie nor Withers knows when to get rid of the ball when they have no shot or are double-teamed. Eddie made one fantastic pass to Nance on a drive when he got doubled, but he missed several layups and fumbled the ball a lot. Withers looked worse last night than he did in the game at Alabama last year. He is way too strong to be losing the ball that much.

I’ll take “bad” 3’s any time over possesions with no shot. We had plenty of the latter last night. At least the bad 3 has a chance of going in.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate+Dec 23 2004, 08:24 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (NinerAdvocate @ Dec 23 2004, 08:24 AM)
[i]Originally posted by JKniner[/i]@Dec 23 2004, 09:10 AM [b] I also think Indiana isn't horrible and they will get it turned around. We matched them 39 all on the boards and they were 7-0 in the rebounding margin cat. this year. They have lost to 3 top 10 teams and blew 19 and 13 point leads in two other losses. This we be a nice win when its all said and done. They will end up over .500. [/b]
Sadly, I believe the correct statistic is that Indiana has gotten rebounded by every team this year EXCEPT us. Unexcusable.
[i]Originally posted by Iron9er+Dec 23 2004, 04:30 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Iron9er @ Dec 23 2004, 04:30 PM)

Bobby Lutz runs one of the tightest ships in the NCAA.

I’m just curious, but when/where has Bobby made the necessary adjustments during the season. I remember Demon Brown, Diego Guevara and other’s shot selections over the years. Somehow we act like we are a version of the older Kentucky teams with Pelfrey, Rich Farmer, etc…that could knock down threes consistently, but we have guys that can score within 20 feet. Let’s use our athleticism and big bodies to their fullest. I can see where in the past we didn’t have that great of inside games but we finally have few players that can score in the paint and Bobby should adjust quickly or else this season will end up like every other…a first or second round exit. I’ve said it before, but we have the most talent in 10 years of watching this team…I hope the team starts gelling and we make a serious run this year because WE CAN!

I do believe in this team big time and if there was ever a chance for us to make a serious run, it has to be this year.