Green Jacket Cocktail Party

I just got home from the annual Green Jacket Cocktail Party, and it was a well done function as always. Kudos to the Athletic Department for putting it on, and thanks to Larry and Ginger Griffin for being wonderful hosts. This is always a great event because it helps me to span the gap between basketball seasons. I look forward to seeing friends and commiserating about how long it will be until the next tipoff. This year was different though. There was talk of football, and how we would soon be gearing up for those games, and there was Coach Major. As busy as he is right now Coach made the time to come out and meet people, and I was very impressed. He is personable, and was quite at ease in the crowd. He didn’t just shake hands wedding reception line style, he engaged people in conversations. I think he was a big hit and I have no worries about him as an ambassador for the 49ers. Unfortunately I left the party more anxious to start the season than ever.

I agree. I was there and it was a great event. I got 30 seconds of Coach Majors time and was impressed with his excitement about the team and the school.

I like the spring format much better than the fall time frame. Couldn’t ask for better weather or a better setting. I too spoke with coach Majors for about 10-15 minutes and was very impressed…very genuine and very humble. Great job Mike, Kelly and the rest of the athletic foundation crew. Sorry to Larry and Ginger for being the last one out the door!!!

Great event, wonderful location and a special thanks to our host, the Griffins, for opening up their beautiful home for the event. Well done and what a great way to welcome Coach Major, and to get some time to speak with our other coaches as well…

[quote=“EJNiner, post:3, topic:23075”]I like the spring format much better than the fall time frame. Couldn’t ask for better weather or a better setting. I too spoke with coach Majors for about 10-15 minutes and was very impressed…very genuine and very humble. Great job Mike, Kelly and the rest of the athletic foundation crew. Sorry to Larry and Ginger for being the last one out the door!!![/quote] Weather and grounds were beautiful, but I doubt this function will be held in the spring next year. I heard the delay this year was because the Griffins have only been in the house for a month or so. You could always let your wishes be known to the Foundation.

Digging this thread up from the grave. Things have changed a ton over the years. Anyone been to the green jacket reception of recent? Just curious if worth attending as a first timer

I’ve been GJ for awhile and never gone. Discussed with wife maybe we should. Haven’t committed.!

1 Like

Let’s go. :call_me_hand:

Time to cut off the sleeves of the jacket I guess.

I’ll go whenever I figure out the dress code. WTF is “beach casual”? A thong and a beer can?

Otherwise, go to it if you enjoy food and meaningless chit chat. And valet parking.

Been GJ and gone to this many years. Always a relaxed good time. You see a bit of everything from a wardrobe perspective
You should come, enjoy and take the opportunity to speak with Hill and coaches.

1 Like

Why would one want to spoil a perfectly good time by doing that?