Green-

I wonder if Green’s hitting the freshmen wall or if he’s just in a slump he can’t seem to break? When you look at his stats since the Fordham game he’s shot 16-59, 27%. From 3, he’s 9-43, 21%. For us to win, more often then not we need him to score, there’s no question. He basically won several road games for us this year so don’t misunderstand me, I am not blaming him for our losses. We’ve lost for a number of different reasons.

By the way, I love having Green on our team and I am glad we have him for a while. I think he will continue to get better.

I wasn’t aware that sophomores could hit a freshman wall. For Green to be most effective the inside game needs to be working too and it’s been inconsistent lately.

WHITE!

I am aware he’s a sophomore but this is his first year playing Division 1 ball. In that sense he’s a freshmen. That was my point, maybe he’s hit a wall. For some stupid reason I thought he was a redshirt freshmen last year, my mistake!

[quote=“HP49er, post:2, topic:22582”]I wasn’t aware that sophomores could hit a freshman wall. For Green to be most effective the inside game needs to be working too and it’s been inconsistent lately.[/quote]With our bigs being either undersized, freshmen, or unskilled inside, their success depends more on our outside shooting than our outside shooting depends on them. If we can’t hit any jumpers, we’re a god awful team because teams just pack it in and take advantage of the fact that Spears is very small for his position, Braswell and KJ are freshman, and that Phil isn’t particularly strong inside.

If this team had a consistent outside threat we’d be damn good. The fact that we don’t have a person to play SF that can defend and shoot is our biggest problem IMO. It’s easy to shut a team down when you only have 4 players to guard.

[quote=“switchfoot, post:1, topic:22582”]I wonder if Green’s hitting the freshmen wall or if he’s just in a slump he can’t seem to break? When you look at his stats since the Fordham game he’s shot 16-59, 27%. From 3, he’s 9-43, 21%. For us to win, more often then not we need him to score, there’s no question. He basically won several road games for us this year so don’t misunderstand me, I am not blaming him for our losses. We’ve lost for a number of different reasons.

By the way, I love having Green on our team and I am glad we have him for a while. I think he will continue to get better.[/quote]

Derrio has to develop a midrange game. This is a tough athletic conference with smart coaches. Opposing coaches have adjusted and Derrio has not. They are giving him no room to shoot uncontested 3s. His best weapon is his athleticism. If he doesnt use his athleticism to attack the basket,make defenders move their feet and create for himself and others off the bounce then he basically becomes another IAN. Which is what he has become over the last 5 or 6 games.

Average +/- stats for the season

Green: .9
Anderson: 2.2
Harris: 4.4
Barnett: 1.9
Gokhan: -1
Dewhurst: 6.1
Wilderness: -.6
Braswell: 3.2

Obviously people that don’t play much like Barnett, Sirin are thrown off in the stat. I know some don’t agree with it, but especially lately Green just kills us. The last 4 losses, his +/- has been -19.5, which his horrible. He isn’t a great ball handler, and he’s shooting about 37% from the floor and way under from the 3. We’ll never be a consistent team if we have to pray on shooter who is only good when he happens to get hot. If I calculated it correctly, Ian is +4.75 over those last 4 losses. Sure Green may have slightly better defense (which I must also mention disappears when his confidence drops after 4-5 bricks), but terrible turnovers/shot selection kill us.

Wilderness kills us because he can’t shoot beyond 2ft and turns it over. Dewhurst can’t score at all, but at least he can get some assists and boards.

[quote=“contemptor, post:7, topic:22582”]Average +/- stats for the season

Green: .9
Anderson: 2.2
Harris: 4.4
Barnett: 1.9
Gokhan: -1
Dewhurst: 6.1
Wilderness: -.6
Braswell: 3.2
some don’t agree
Obviously people that don’t play much like Barnett, Sirin are thrown off in the stat. I know some dont agree with it, but especially lately Green just kills us. The last 4 losses, his +/- has been -19.5, which his horrible. He isn’t a great ball handler, and he’s shooting about 37% from the floor and way under from the 3. We’ll never be a consistent team if we have to pray on shooter who is only good when he happens to get hot. If I calculated it correctly, Ian is +4.75 over those last 4 losses. Sure Green may have slightly better defense (which I must also mention disappears when his confidence drops after 4-5 bricks), but terrible turnovers/shot selection kill us.

Wilderness kills us because he can’t shoot beyond 2ft and turns it over. Dewhurst can’t score at all, but at least he can get some assists and boards.[/quote]

I AGREE!!!

haha that was my first reaction too

[quote=“Hooner49, post:3, topic:22582”][size=7]WHITE!
[/size]
[/quote]Damn you. You beat me to it. I’m just now seeing this thread and was going to make my “smart reply”.

Green is a gambler on defense, he jumps to the steal. Sometimes he gets the steal, and we get points on the other end, a lot of times he misses and his man slashes to the basket for a bucket. Bobby needs to tell him not to lunge for the ball on D. I disagree about his ball handling, I think he’s pretty decent, and he can slash better than Dew or An’Juan and that’s their whole offensive purpose. He makes ridiculous, contested slashing shots to the basket.

Back when Green was slumping earlier in the season, he himself said that part of the reason is that he was turning himself into just a jump shooter. When he started attacking the basket, he started playing better.

There is absolutely no doubt that his defensive intensity and focus is driven by his offensive success. To a huge degree. He’s an entirely different player when he’s on.

I think part of Green becoming a jump shooter is how defenses pack it in against us, leaving no room to penetrate.

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:13, topic:22582”]I think part of Green becoming a jump shooter is how defenses pack it in against us, leaving no room to penetrate.[/quote]Dijuan could look to penetrate more and attack the basket, we where much better earlier this year when he was doing so.

Well to throw my .02 in - I think a huge part of this late season slump are teams are now playing him and defending him like a player that can win a game. He has someone in his back pocket the entire night. And he knows that we have to have his scoring so he ends up taking some bad shots hoping they go in.

It’s obvious Harris hasn’t read NNN for the last couple of years.

You know how teachers always said to have another party read your papers for grammer? I think that NNN should be valuable for coaches/players somewhat. I SAID somewhat! lol. It’s good to get others’ views of what they are seeing.

[quote=“Over49er, post:10, topic:22582”][quote=“Hooner49, post:3, topic:22582”]WHITE!
[/quote]Damn you. You beat me to it. I’m just now seeing this thread and was going to make my “smart reply”.[/quote]

BLACK???

?

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:12, topic:22582”]Back when Green was slumping earlier in the season, he himself said that part of the reason is that he was turning himself into just a jump shooter. When he started attacking the basket, he started playing better.

There is absolutely no doubt that his defensive intensity and focus is driven by his offensive success. To a huge degree. He’s an entirely different player when he’s on.[/quote]
He also mentioned it was his dad that pointed this out, not Lutz.

Papa Green for Head Coach!

Does anyone know how many games they play in JUCO? Do they play 30+ like he is this year?

[quote=“EE9er, post:19, topic:22582”]Does anyone know how many games they play in JUCO? Do they play 30+ like he is this year?[/quote]Right now Hugh Robertson’s team has played 28 games. Not sure if that is including postseason play.