Greensboro N+R editor will "check into it"

For all the 'boro Niners in the house, see my blog post regarding the headline in the paper after the Charlotte/Cincy game. In the comments, the Editor of the paper, John Robinson, says he’ll check into it.

If you read the N&R often, you know they always refer to the 49ers as UNC Charlotte (when they refer to us at all).

Greensboro has quite an active blog community, including most of the editorial staff on the city’s paper.

Hopefully something will come of this and Triad sports readers will be able to know us by who we truly are: the Charlotte 49ers, not the UNCC 49ers.

News and Record, repeat after me. CHARLOTTE

Oh, and props to Iron9er for that bit about the double standard.

Huh? Thanks for the praise, but I’m not sure what I did here. Maybe you can enlighten me. I love props, but only if its well deserved.

:lol:

Hm, maybe it wasn’t you. Someone in an earlier post (I can’t even remember which one now) was talking about the double standard when referring to the Carolina Tarheels and UNC Charlotte 49ers.

I think. (scratches head).

In any event, props to Iron9er for being a kick ass Niner fan. How’s that?

[b]How's that? [/b]

Right on. I do deserve props for THAT.

Now, on the other thing, I got no idea :huh:

Rusty,

Hicks is from Greensboro (Dudley). That’s why he is mentioned.

Tintin

Yeah, the editor pointed that out also. I’d forgotten about Hicks’s Greensboro connection.

Yeah,I was kind of bewildered when I opened up the n&r looking for some decent press about our big win…and they lead with Hicks scores 20(or whatever) in loss…

You may have been referring to my comment in the post about the W-S Journal story.

[b]Equal treatment then, UNC Chapel Hill in references to the Tar Heels. I always send them the archived link to the [url=http://charlotte49ers.collegesports.com/genrel//083100aaa.html][b]release[/b][/url] about the name change and make note that it was done on August 23, 2000! [/b]
At least there was more to read there than in the High Point Enterprise today. Plavich and Charlotte get the headline but little more.
[b][b]Plavich leads Charlotte past Cincinnati[/b] CHARLOTTE - Brendan Plavich scored all but 2 of his 26 points on 3-pointers Saturday to lead Charlotte to a 91-90 victory over No. 18 Cincinnati in the final regular-season meeting between the two Conference USA rivals. Plavich made 8 of 17 3-pointers to lead the 49ers (15-4, 6-2). The Bearcats fell to 17-5, 6-3.[/b]
By the way, the N & R's Doug Clark and his wife attended the game Saturday. His son is in the pep band, and also members of my church.
[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Feb 6 2005, 10:53 PM [b] By the way, the N & R's Doug Clark and his wife attended the game Saturday. His son is in the pep band, and also members of my church. [/b]
ditto that. I was at church this AM and Doug came by and immediately wanted to talk about the game. He indicated he had a great time, was impressed with the play by both teams, and loved the crowd/enthusiasm. He said it was the place to be bar none.

We’re not the only one’s who deal with a newspaper that won’t use the proper reference.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch refuses to refer to Saint Louis University properly and uses St. Louis instead.

Our own Big O typically misidentifies UAB, Southern Miss, and TCU as Alabama-Birmingham, So. Miss, and Texas Christian.

Just gotta keep after them…

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Feb 7 2005, 08:53 AM [b] We're not the only one's who deal with a newspaper that won't use the proper reference.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch refuses to refer to Saint Louis University properly and uses St. Louis instead.

Our own Big O typically misidentifies UAB, Southern Miss, and TCU as Alabama-Birmingham, So. Miss, and Texas Christian.

Just gotta keep after them… [/b]

We follow AP style on school names in general (but changed to Charlotte long before AP did). There are clarity issues with the school-preferred references in many instances when those schools are in other areas of the country, and honestly I would think those schools would rather be recognized by their full name than not recognized otherwise. Charlotte probably falls under that elsewhere.

What’s the name of this school, according to official website?

Doug Clark wrote about the game in his Greensboro News & Record blog. Check it out:

Doug Clark, N&R editorial blog

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Feb 7 2005, 08:53 AM [b] The St. Louis Post-Dispatch refuses to refer to Saint Louis University properly and uses St. Louis instead.

Just gotta keep after them… [/b]

I hope your joking because either of those substitutions for names are fine.

Plus, people who dont know what UAB is, its helpful to know its in Alabama. When I was a kid I thought it meant University of Annappolis-Baltimore

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger+Feb 7 2005, 09:05 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mike_Persinger @ Feb 7 2005, 09:05 AM)

Bad link, run… What’s in a Name?, Conference USA media guide, page 2

WHAT’S IN A NAME?
Several Conference USA institutions are often misrepresented when it comes to the correct spelling and abbreviation of their names. The following is a list of names which seem to cause the most confusion. Please be sure to use the correct names when referring to Conference USA and its schools.
Correct Usage Conference USA, C-USA
NEVER USEConf. USA, CUSA
Correct Usage Charlotte
NEVER USE UNC-Charlotte, North Carolina-Charlotte, NC-Charlotte, N.C.-Charlotte
Correct Usage DePaul, DE PAUL
NEVER USE Depaul, DEPAUL
Correct Usage Saint Louis
NEVER USE St. Louis
Correct Usage Southern Miss
NEVER USE So. Miss., So. Mississippi
Correct Usage TCU
NEVER USE Texas Christian
Correct Usage UAB
NEVER USE Alabama-Birmingham, Ala.-Birmingham, Ala/Birmingham
Correct Usage USF
NEVER USE South Florida, So. Fla.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Feb 7 2005, 09:53 AM [b] Bad link, run... [url=http://www.conferenceusa.com/sports/mbball/guide/2004-05/1-22m.pdf][b]What's in a Name?[/b][/url], Conference USA media guide, page 2 [/b]
Hmmm...works on my PC, though I did have a problem with that link last week. Thanks for posting that section!