Gunn aiming for third straight title

Came across in last week’s San Francisco Chronicle:

This part of the article got me riled up:

Gunn has done for the men’s soccer program what the Jim Harbaugh/David Shaw tandem did for football — not only putting Stanford on the map but also making it a mecca for top high school players. Gunn has done it the same way he thrived as a player, Tobin said, with “his absolute refusal to lose.”

FYI, Stanford won 5-1 to win their fourth consecutive Pac 12 title.

I wish we had an Athletic Director that had “an absolute refusal to lose” as opposed to managing expectations and providing equal student athlete experiences.

Rose hired Gunn (who had at least one national championship at a lower level) at a time when our men’s soccer program was underperforming.
The previous coach had big time success for a few years, but then we got progressively worse, so he “resigned”. This was at a time when we weren’t managing expectations, I suppose. I’ve really enjoyed seeing Jeremy’s team defeat ACC squads on the way to and in the national championship game the last 2 years. The man can coach. It’s entirely possible that had his team here in 2011 been wearing Stanford uniforms in the final match against Cheat, we would have had 2 penalty kicks and a national title.

[quote=“BigTymers99, post:1, topic:31170”]Came across in last week’s San Francisco Chronicle:

http://www.sfchronicle.com/collegesports/article/Jeremy-Gunn-s-intensity-attention-to-detail-12318542.php

This part of the article got me riled up:

Gunn has done for the men’s soccer program what the Jim Harbaugh/David Shaw tandem did for football — not only putting Stanford on the map but also making it a mecca for top high school players. Gunn has done it the same way he thrived as a player, Tobin said, with “his absolute refusal to lose.”

FYI, Stanford won 5-1 to win their fourth consecutive Pac 12 title.

I wish we had an Athletic Director that had “an absolute refusal to lose” as opposed to managing expectations and providing equal student athlete experiences.[/quote]

vs. ours which reads like how diabetic food tastes http://www.charlotte49ers.com/sports/2015/1/8/204862024.aspx

Gunn more than anything knew how to positively motivate while setting high expectations, which elevated everything around the program. Unique Coach.

Hope Gunn can get his 3rd Cup! Go Cardinal!