Hal Wissel

Just reading about our “wonderful” coach from the mid-1980s on the Fordham board. Yep, those were the years – NOT!!!

Link: Hal Wissel Hired as NBA Assistant

I saw this thread and shuddered.

Golden State is gonna break out the flash cards!

Actual conversation between my dad and another alumnus at a game recently:

Other Alum: So what year did you graduate?
My dad: '77.
Other Alum: You suck.
My dad: Why?
Other Alum: Because I had to endure two years of Pratt and two years of Wissel.
(awkward silence)

Nnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyuuuuuuurrrrrrrggggggghhhhh! :drool:

A quote stolen from the Fordham board

…“he was hired as head coach at UNCC, but let go after 2 or 3 uneventful years.”

As a refugee of the Wissel era, I beg to differ with the term “uneventful”.

I wish the era would’ve been uneventful. To me, that term implies SOMETHING good happened then. If it did, I missed it. There weren’t enough of us in the original Charlotte Coliseum…if SOMETHING happened, all ten of us would’ve seen it.

Are flash cards considered “eventful”?

Are flash cards considered "eventful"?

Anyone got a photo of him holding them up? That’d be priceless.

Please, no one ever mention that name again.

He held up flash cards?

He held up flash cards?

I heard an urban legend that, after forcing a turnover - a Charlotte player had a clear path ahead to the basket. The fast break was ruined when the player stopped to look at which flash card Coach Wissel was holding up. Fact or fiction?

Survivor, no urban legend there.

More from the thread on the Fordham board…

Amazingly to me, after all that success at Florida Southern where he was loved and could've stayed forever and maybe led it to Div. I, Hal instead jumped to UNC Charl of all places -- which was the closest thing to a duplicate of the Fordham situation I could've imagined. They'd jumped to be a national power on the back of Cedric Maxwell, then Cedric left and they plunged, but they still felt entitled to be a national power anyhow, with Hal holding the bag. He had a repeat Div I politics, recruiting, and media disaster. Deja vu.
Hmmm...

This one is easy to fix! It just requires dots.

More from the thread on the Fordham board...

Hmmm…

fixed.