Halton Arena = Terrible Atmosphere

Since the other thread was hijacked:

[b]OK maybe the title was just to get you to look, but the point thread to to talk about what needs to be done at halton to make it one of the top 5 atmospheres in college basketball.

I took a Wake fan to the Depaul game with me and all he talked about is how bad the atmoshere was. He wasn’t talking about the students or fans, he was talking about the actual game production itself.

Now I’ve said many times that our marketing people need to go to a Wake game and see what they’ve done and copy it. For those of you that don’t know, Wake has gone from a nice little school playing in the ACC with a little local support expect when UNC, Duke or NC State where in town, then half the fans where wearing those school’s colors. Now under Prosser Wake is one of the top 5 atmospheres in college basketball, their student attendence has gone from 800 a game under Odom to over 2400 under Prosser(which incidentally is HALF the student body). All the students wear the same Tyed-Dyed shirt and 80% of the rest of the fans wear this same shirt. It is now rare to see someone not wearing Wake gear at a Wake game as witnessed at the Carolina game where there was very little blue(we have more blue at our games). Wake has sold out 95% of their games this year and there games have become events. At every dead ball they have something that either gets the crowd pumped up or keeps them pumped up. You don’t want to leave your seat because you don’t want to miss anything. How did Wake do this you ask??? They hired the marketing company Marquette uses because the Wake staff was blown away by their atmosphere when they played there their first year at Wake.

Now contrast that with our games: They crowd was awesome last night and got very loud at times and everytime the crowd really started getting into it a dead ball would come and totally deflate the crowd and what do we do to keep the crowd going…??? Nothing. We have Judy parading out with student athletes which there is a time and place for and that time is halftime. Do we play loud music to keep the crowd rocking…??? NO, I don’t count the one time during the game when they play the wonderful medley of “Jump Around” and “Footloose”. Jesus people it’s not like they haven’t already made the soundtrack for you, is there no money in the budget to purchase “Jock Jams 1, 2, 3, 4 ect”???

Do we really need our announcer tell us what the score is to the game we are sitting there watching???

I think we should have a couple of sponser type events during breaks, but how about a couple thing designed to fire up the crowd. When was the last time you saw the cheerleaders or Golddusters go up into the crowd???

Frankly the management of our game activites is embarrassing and if we are going to increase attendence and increase our fan base it must improve. Our team is putting a quality product out on the court, but they are not getting the support they deserve in other areas.

How do we fix it???
First the people running the show need to get a clue. Contact Dan Devos and Les Goodall and tell them what you’d like to see. Give them your input.

Second WE NEED A NEW SOUND SYSTEM!!! Ours sucks everyone knows it(even though we never use it) If you talk to Dan or Les make sure you make a pledge to help pay for the new sound system and a new video screen (it would be nice to have one that didn’t look like a Brite Lite).

Tell Dan and Les how awesome it would be to have one unifying shirt that we could all wear to the games. Tell them you would be happy to pay $10 for this shirt, whatever it takes we just need to get it done. On the shirt I really think we need a green and white tye-dyed or something that stands out. A lot of people wore green Wed. night, but it just doesn’t really stand out visually.

Now Dan and Les have a very limited budget, but I think it is important that we let them know what our priorites are and where we would like to see them spend our money.

Just so everyone is clear on everyones role in our games, Dan and Les run the game operations and everything that happens at the games. Signature Sports is responsible for trying to deliver as much money as possible and fortify our deals with Corporate Partners by providing Stunt Bike shows, Bobble Heads and baller bands, among otehr premium give-aways. The Chick-fil-A blimp and the cow toss after each three, that’s also one of their “staples”.

We have an incredible faciltiy in Halton and it should be one of the best places to experience a college basketball with a few changes that are very easy to make happen it will be. [/b]

Wake looked to Marquette as their model to follow. Marquette stole a lot of their stuff from Michigan State. Nothing wrong in taking what works from successful programs. This has nothing to do with Wake or the ACC, it’s all about what we want Halton to be.

I second playing music through timeouts to keep the crowd fired up. I have never understood why we let it get silent. And current stuff please. I don’t get the footloose or jump around selection either.

I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again. Instead of bobbleheads, how about giving away free shirts to the first 3,000 fans? I’ll take a Food Lion logo on it as long as the shirt is green and says Charlotte on the front. People might actually put the shirts on for the game, and wear them at future games. What a concept.

[i]Originally posted by NovaNiner[/i]@Feb 17 2005, 09:34 PM [b] Wake looked to Marquette as their model to follow. Marquette stole a lot of their stuff from Michigan State. Nothing wrong in taking what works from successful programs. This has nothing to do with Wake or the ACC, it’s all about what we want Halton to be.

I second playing music through timeouts to keep the crowd fired up. I have never understood why we let it get silent. And current stuff please. I don’t get the footloose or jump around selection either.

I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again. Instead of bobbleheads, how about giving away free shirts to the first 3,000 fans? I’ll take a Food Lion logo on it as long as the shirt is green and says Charlotte on the front. People might actually put the shirts on for the game, and wear them at future games. What a concept. [/b]

hey Nova…maybe if fans get to the game on time it will be a better atmosphere!

[i]Originally posted by ninermike[/i]@Feb 18 2005, 11:48 AM [b] hey Nova...maybe if fans get to the game on time it will be a better atmosphere! [/b]
Good call Mike. How about fixing the parking issues so fans don't have to wait 30 minutes to park?