Halton Enhancements

Went to the State/Wake game at LJ a couple weeks ago. At the half we went to the Deacon Club. Full cash bar, a roast beef carving station for free, and lots of flat screen tvs and high bar tables. Really nice. Is there something that prohibits Charlotte from having something similar besides alumni/fan contributions? Maybe the fact that Halton is on campus? Would be nice to have something like that.

[QUOTE=KissMyAxe;216149]Went to the State/Wake game at LJ a couple weeks ago. At the half we went to the Deacon Club. Full cash bar, a roast beef carving station for free, and lots of flat screen tvs and high bar tables. Really nice. Is there something that prohibits Charlotte from having something similar besides alumni/fan contributions? Maybe the fact that Halton is on campus? Would be nice to have something like that.[/QUOTE]
We have that now (food & beverage) if you are a Green Jacket member or above in the 49er Club for pregame. Otherwise, the fact that Halton is on campus is your answer.

LJVM is run by the City of Winston-Salem too. The Greensboro Coliseum has the Carlyle Club room for the same purpose.

Just so I understand. You mean there is another half time “section” in Halton other than the main hall that serves up free 2 liter soda and a bag of chips?

I’m talking full bar…with our friends Jack, Jim, Henry, and Evan.

[QUOTE=KissMyAxe;216152]Just so I understand. You mean there is another half time “section” in Halton other than the main hall that serves up free 2 liter soda and a bag of chips?

I’m talking full bar…with our friends Jack, Jim, Henry, and Evan.[/QUOTE]
Not at halftime. Upstairs has a full meal, beer & wine for pre-game. The practice court for larger donors has the same plus mixed drinks. Both are open 90 minutes prior to tip off. There is no alcohol provided other than at pregame.

Just so I understand. You mean there is another half time "section" in Halton other than the main hall that serves up free 2 liter soda and a bag of chips?

I’m talking full bar…with our friends Jack, Jim, Henry, and Evan.

HP is referring to the pregame meal down by the practice gym. VERY nice layout with open bar (and yes, with Jack, Jim, etc.) and really good food buffet. I was down there earlier this year and sat at a table next to Judy. Metro would have been jealous. :tongue:

Guess I need to get to donating… :smiley:

The setup in Joel Coliseum is completely different from the one in Halton. There may be a free pre-game meal for “dignitaties” at Joel, but for the most part it has cash bars and cafe/restaurant types of places to eat (although I’ve never eaten). It also has numerous sections. It’s more like walking through a convention style hotel lobby loaded with numerous bars and places to grab something to eat.

A setup like that by itself could possibly get more people in Halton, but I’m not sure of the legalities involved.

I’m 99% sure that its illegal for the public sale of alcohol on campus in NC, though I’ve heard Duke has a bar on campus; can anyone shed any light on that one?

I think you’re right Central. Can’t be sold, but can be served.

Duke is a private school. I was told at a Wake Forest game a few years back that they didn’t sell alcohol at the game because it was against NCAA or ACC rules or something along those lines, but I could’ve sworn to the fact that I saw a Red Oak sign.

I’ve been upstairs for the pregame meal several times. Based on my impressions (& the guests that I’ve brought there)…the setup at Halton is nice.

However, the consensus is that it severely lacks in the WOW factor. Sounds like the Joel Coliseum has the WOW !!!

My own personal opinion, along with what knowledge I’ve gained from asking questions, is that the biggest drawback to anything more creative is Chartwell’s.

Again, I could be wrong, but it appears that Chartwell’s has control over ALL food prepared and served on campus. It’s too bad because something other than UPSCALE cafeteria food would do well in Halton IMO.

On a related note, I think the 49er Club misses the boat on something. $49.00/yr gets preferred parking & halftime hospitality. Any yearly sum between $49.00 & $1,500/yr ONLY adds a media guide. There should be a way to create a level in between, say $300.00-$600.00, that gets you limited pregame hospitality (2-3 games per season). My point is strictly that if you want to get more people out of the $49.00 categories, you should find a way to give them some kind of motivation to do so.

I think you're right Central. Can't be sold, but can be served.

Yeah, we know it can be served. Remember the Engineering Alumni Social thing?

On a related note, I think the 49er Club misses the boat on something. $49.00/yr gets preferred parking & halftime hospitality. Any yearly sum between $49.00 & $1,500/yr ONLY adds a media guide. There should be a way to create a level in between, say $300.00-$600.00, that gets you limited pregame hospitality (2-3 games per season). My point is strictly that if you want to get more people out of the $49.00 categories, you should find a way to give them some kind of motivation to do so.

I agree. Personally, I feel the parking pass is too much of a luxury for only $49. If anything, that should only go to $150+ donors Though it certainly hasn’t been a problem this year but in the past, the upper decks for Club members has been jam-packed. That will be an even bigger problem as more people join for $49.

I like your idea of adding a mini-meal pack to a certain level of giving. I’d certainly be more inclined to give a little more if I knew I’d be able to enjoy 3-5 pregame meals. There are some nights where it’s next to impossible to eat before heading across town and no offense to those in charge but the concession stand food is abysmal. So grabbing a meal upstairs would be nice for a few games a year. IMO, it would be worthy of tossing a few more bucks towards the Foundation each year.

As you mentioned, the addition of only a Media Guide for that big of a jump in contributions is very little incentive to donate at the next level.

Yep. Fostering a little alumni comraderie via drinks for donors is always a good idea. I would be apt to give a little more. I like Picasso’s pregame, but a captive audience on campus allows more interaction amongst those you do not know. Could they not do something like this at the Alumni House? Seems they could pull it off without having to donate $1,500 a person.

Where exactly is the pregame meal held? I recevied Pregame meal tickets for tonight and Saturday from a friend and I was thinking it would be at the same place as halftime.

Where exactly is the pregame meal held? I recevied Pregame meal tickets for tonight and Saturday from a friend and I was thinking it would be at the same place as halftime.

Depends on which service you’re going to. If you have a green pass, then you’re upstairs in the hospitality suite. If it’s yellow, then you’re downstairs by the practice gym. You’d just go through the door over by the student entrance and down the steps.

My thoughts are that you should have to pay more to get the parking pass. I agree on the bump up from $49 to get the pass. I have been at the green jacket level for a few years now and I enjoy the pre-game meal but the food quality has been a little down in my opinion this year. It is still a bargain compared to other schools.

My thoughts are that you should have to pay more to get the parking pass. I agree on the bump up from $49 to get the pass.

I’m sure the parking pass is the Athletic Foundation’s biggest incentive for getting graduates to join the 49er Club in the first place. Though, just getting the option of purchasing season tickets (and at the 1st year alumni price) should be enough reason to join. I understand their philosophy but it’s going to be hard to get donors out of the $49-$150 range when there’s not much incentive to give more. Making the parking pass only available to $150+ would help a lot.

What about:

49 - 49er Club membership and halftime hospitality
149 - add parking pass and Niner Nation tee shirt
449 - add option for 3 or 4 pregame meals
1000 - add Meet and Greet with TOPCATS (yea, I know) and guaranteed option to purchase “CLUB LEVEL” seats at future Niner football games and priority parking pass at those future games

What about:

1000 - add Meet and Greet with TOPCATS (yea, I know) and guaranteed option to purchase “CLUB LEVEL” seats at future Niner football games and priority parking pass at those future games

And who should I make the check out to?