Halton fans loud and into the game?

armein kirkland thinks so. heck, he seems downright fond of you hooligans, so be nice if he ever comes back:

[b]GAUGING ATMOSPHERE: Both Nick Williams and Armein Kirkland agreed that Saturday's atmosphere during UC's loss at Charlotte was more intense than the atmosphere last year for the Crosstown Shootout in Xavier's Cintas Center.

“I don’t think the environment was that bad (last year) because (after UC built a big lead in the first half) I don’t think the Xavier fans thought they could win,” Kirkland said. "The Charlotte fans, we let them in the game early and it was close the whole game, so they were loud and going crazy.

“The Charlotte fans are real dedicated. They’re real basketball people, just by what you hear them say. They look on ESPN.com every day and find out what’s going on with UC. It’s unbelievable how much they know. It’s not the same as Xavier. Xavier’s more just a crosstown thing, just a pride thing. It’s not as much strictly basketball.”
[/b]

UC notebook

Charlotte fans are pretty rabid and they do know something about Hoops. If you are from NC, its ingrained early in life.

Nice bulletin board material for Xavier too, gruehls (not that it’s going to matter).

Since CUSA has been around Cincy has been the standard and we have been #2. Our students realize that. I wish we had 7 or 8 more teams like you in the A10 that our students can really get a passion for. Halton would be one of the great spots if we could replicate the UC energy. In time I think we can get there… On a side note, I wish WE would get to a place where we got other schools fired up to play us (like Cincy does for other schools). I’m gonna miss Huggins.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Feb 8 2005, 10:43 AM [b] Nice bulletin board material for Xavier too, gruehls (not that it's going to matter). [/b]
HP, I thought the same thing. :P

[b]BIG GAME: As he approaches his 16th Crosstown Shootout, Huggins was asked Monday if he likes the annual game against XU.

“It’s all right,” he said. “We’ve got a lot of big games, you know. I think that’s why guys come here. We play a lot of big games.”

Huggins is 7-8 vs. XU.[/b]

[b]On a side note, I wish WE would get to a place where we got other schools fired up to play us (like Cincy does for other schools).[/b]

ECU fans were fired up. Their students were into it all game long. However, XU to UC is not as ECU is to Charlotte. XU is a quality program. Unfortuantely ECU right now is not. I wish they were RPI Top 100 regularly, but they aren’t.

gruehls, does Cincinnati consider us a “rival” or are we just another team Cincinnati happens to play twice a year? If we are considered a rival where would you rank us?

[i]Originally posted by CPA_Niner[/i]@Feb 8 2005, 11:30 AM [b]gruehls, does Cincinnati consider us a "rival" or are we just another team Cincinnati happens to play twice a year? If we are considered a rival where would you rank us?[/b]

hmmm, i’m reluctant to answer for the whole darn city.

my subjective view is that charlotte is, and has been for some time, a true rival. we’ve been playing regularly for ten years and the games and the series are competitive and emotional. the players seem to reflect that too (e.g. logan and guevara). i’d rank the rivalry right now as behind only louisville and xavier, ahead of memphis, depaul, st. louis and anyone else in cusa with whom we go back decades

i think alot of UC fans who consider themselves purists on the issue would say the lack of history between the programs rules out true rival status. i disagree.

I would put Charlotte a solid three on UC’s rival list behind UL and XU. If UK or OSU would ever grow a pair and play UC that would drop you guys back…Heck, UL and XU would drop behind those two.

Charlotte fans are true basketball fans compared to other schools. Most ACC fans in this area don’t follow teams outside their conference and Charlotte fans tend to have a better picture of the national scene than most fans.

I’d love to see a Charlotte vs. the ACC basketball trivia contest.

[i]Originally posted by ninermike[/i]@Feb 8 2005, 12:14 PM [b] I'd love to see a Charlotte vs. the ACC basketball trivia contest. [/b]
No, that wouldn't be fair because the moderator would end up being a huge ACC fan from University City. All the Q's would be on Chris Corchiani and Ralph Sampson.
[i]Originally posted by UCTOM[/i]@Feb 8 2005, 12:07 PM [b] I would put Charlotte a solid three on UC's rival list behind UL and XU. If UK or OSU would ever grow a pair and play UC that would drop you guys back...Heck, UL and XU would drop behind those two. [/b]
That seems the be the general consensus.

I think our rivalry would have grown leaps and bounds over the next 10 years. The win at the Shoe was huge, and Charlotte would have been a serious threat for the CUSA Championship every year.

I don’t understand why our rivalry with UL has never sparked much interest with the fans. 15-15 is one hell of a series.

We obviously won’t have the same number of people for Wednesday night, but we can still be as loud if we are there. As mentioned in the spirit meeting, the biggested unused noisemaker we have are the metal bleacher floors. Getting 5 people stomping those things during chants makes a huge difference, I was dissappointed we never did it with the whole crowd during Saturday’s game.

It is our “job” as fans to make that place as loud as possible every game, I say a good place to start is stomping the floor everytime you clap along with a cheer. The “defense, stomp stomp” is especially good when a lot of people are in on it. Have all of 104, 105 and GG rocking the whole game being as loud and annoying as possible, I think that’s the first step to filling up Halton for every home game. If all of the games were louder like Cinci, more people would show up.

Do your little grassroots bit and promote the team around people. I walked in on a friend’s class they were teaching and asked who was going to the game Wednesday and so on. If you get people talking, or showing they are interested, it’s a good start. A lot of times people want to go but don’t want to go alone. If they spot someone they are at least familiar with at the academic level, then maybe they’ll drop by the game.

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Feb 8 2005, 01:35 PM [b]Do your little grassroots bit and promote the team around people. I walked in on a friend's class they were teaching and asked who was going to the game Wednesday and so on. If you get people talking, or showing they are interested, it's a good start. A lot of times people want to go but don't want to go alone. If they spot someone they are at least familiar with at the academic level, then maybe they'll drop by the game.[/b]
Yea, just talking about the game helps a lot. It was also suggested to go into your class early(or just empty rooms) and write up on the board "Game Tonight....." like they always do with the Spring Break Work and stuff like that.

But I think having a louder, more involved crowd at the game is going to keep people coming back. If students see that it’s only really loud and exciting against Cincinnati, that’s why they don’t come back. Try to get it as loud as possible every game and more and more students will come back.

Yeah thats the problem here with Wednesdays game, none of my friends want to go because of the Carolina/Duke game, but screw it i’ll go by myself, gotta support MY team.

[i]Originally posted by amstamey[/i]@Feb 8 2005, 12:52 PM [b] Yeah thats the problem here with Wednesdays game, none of my friends want to go because of the Carolina/Duke game, but screw it i'll go by myself, gotta support MY team. [/b]
Steal their tvs.

well, there’s the “Chicago way,” which at least has some sense of personal honor, as evidenced in The Untouchables:

[b] Eliot Ness: How do you do it then? Malone: You wanna know how you do it? Here's how, they pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send on of his to the morgue! That's the Chicago way, and that's how you get Capone! Now do you want to do that? Are you ready to do that? [/b]

substitute “Capone” for that other “C” word, “Carolina,” and see what you come up with on a strategic basis.

and then there’s your way, which begs for a thief not wearing an easily identifiable outfit, such as a “Nuclear Nance” cape accompanied by green tights and an exquisitely tiny codpiece, culminating in:

Originally posted by Powerbait@Feb 8 2005, 12:57 PM

Steal their tvs.

i think i like the Chicago way better.

Gruels- What is the breakdown in Cincy of students to alumni??? Are you sold out every game? Does that place rock?

[i]Originally posted by ninermike[/i]@Feb 8 2005, 01:14 PM [b]

I’d love to see a Charlotte vs. the ACC basketball trivia contest. [/b]

I’d take them on myself, with PI and Yinzer as my hecklers.

Especially the big time WAl Mart ones. I’ve corrected big 'ACC fans" on more than one occasion in my day.

I got a lot of nice looks at PIcassos last year when everybody was booing UConn for beating Georgia TEch. I wanted everybody to realize Jim CAlhoun has just as many titles as Dean Smith in half the time with a third of the talent.