Hawkings Warns of Alien Invasions

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100425/sc_afp/scienceastronomyextraterrestrialhawking

Finally!
It’s about time someone warned Earthlings to STFU about our existence before we end up being wiped out like Columbus’ discovery did to the Native Americans. As a Whitey, I know not to let anyone off the damn ship because people can’t be trusted, & if I don’t trust people, I sure as hell don’t trust aliens. I say if any aliens do land we tell them to leave or die because they aren’t getting out of the damn space ship! Oh, & try to slip them a Mickey on the way out! And by Mickey, I mean Earth-like microbes so they die before getting home so they can’t tell where they were for more ships to come & invade us.

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:1, topic:23158”]http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100425/sc_afp/scienceastronomyextraterrestrialhawking

Finally!
It’s about time someone warned Earthlings to STFU about our existence before we end up being wiped out like Columbus’ discovery did to the Native Americans. As a Whitey, I know not to let anyone off the damn ship because people can’t be trusted, & if I don’t trust people, I sure as hell don’t trust aliens. I say if any aliens do land we tell them to leave or die because they aren’t getting out of the damn space ship! Oh, & try to slip them a Mickey on the way out! And by Mickey, I mean Earth-like microbes so they die before getting home so they can’t tell where they were for more ships to come & invade us.[/quote]

What if all the aliens are hot women just like ours who need help procreating to save their species???

I will fall on that sword, NWA.

psh, they will fall on my sword, HIYO!

In that case, I’m getting on the ship, telling them that all the other men have STD’s, & telling them to go back with me. :))

That way the next generation of aliens will have bad genes and we can take them over. I like the way you think SCK.

psh, they will fall on my sword, HIYO![/quote]

Winner!

Nothing wrong with a Vulcan either.

Sometimes this board scares me. Today is one of those dayz!

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:9, topic:23158”]Nothing wrong with a Vulcan either.

[/quote]

Not only do I know she bleeds green but she also has a thing for Engineers with southern accents! :stuck_out_tongue:

"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," said the astrophysicist in a new television series

As smart and open minded as Steven Hawking is, I would think he would not make such a claim. We obviously don’t know what aliens are like, so there is no way to know what they would do if they came here.

The real question is do we want to roll the dice? The aliens could have all kinds of technologies that could make all our lives wonderful and disease free. Of course, they could just want to kill us. They could have puny weapons and be easily defeatable, or they could have weapons beyond what we could even imagine and have the ability to wipe us out.

I guess the dice have already been rolled and are still being rolled as we speak… Guess we’ll just have to see what happens in the 25th and a half century.

Let’s just get this straight here, guys! 7 of 9 is NOT an alien. She was born to humans and was then assimilated by a borg colony. This does not make her an alien. This makes her a cyborg. She is still a human tho! Gosh! Geeze!
Noobs…

This thread is proof that the NNN offseason has begun.

[quote=“49or bust, post:12, topic:23158”]

“If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn’t turn out well for the Native Americans,” said the astrophysicist in a new television series

As smart and open minded as Steven Hawkings is, I would think he would not make such a claim. We obviously don’t know what aliens are like, so there is no way to know what they would do if they came here.

The real question is do we want to roll the dice? The aliens could have all kinds of technologies that could make all our lives wonderful and disease free. Of course, they could just want to kill us. They could have puny weapons and be easily defeatable, or they could have weapons beyond what we could even imagine and have the ability to wipe us out.

I guess the dice have already been rolled and are still being rolled as we speak… Guess we’ll just have to see what happens in the 25th and a half century.[/quote]

The way he presented it made sense (and the show blew my mind)

Consider that the species that would survive long enough to acquire the technology for deep space travel would have been hundreds, maybe thousands of generations ahead of us evolutionarily.

These would be the fittest of the fit, the strongest of the strong, much as evolution has done to us, times one thousand.

They would likely be out to colonize, there is little to no other reason to put forth all of the resources for deep space travel. It is a waste of time and energy just to stop in and say “hi”.

If they have the necessity, desire, and technology to travel the distance required to reach us… I don’t think we have much of a chance.

[quote=“Lew, post:15, topic:23158”]They would likely be out to colonize, there is little to no other reason to put forth all of the resources for deep space travel. It is a waste of time and energy just to stop in and say “hi”.

If they have the necessity, desire, and technology to travel the distance required to reach us… I don’t think we have much of a chance.[/quote]

I would think though that there would be a chance that any aliens that visit would have reached an evolutionary level where exploration for the sake of exploration would be possible with no alternative plans to colonize or wipe us out.

Of course if they are of that noble a group they may wait for us to prove a certain level of evolution before we are ever even contact - ala Vulcans.

clt says this guy clearly doesn’t remember alf.

[quote=“Lew, post:15, topic:23158”]The way he presented it made sense (and the show blew my mind)

Consider that the species that would survive long enough to acquire the technology for deep space travel would have been hundreds, maybe thousands of generations ahead of us evolutionarily.

These would be the fittest of the fit, the strongest of the strong, much as evolution has done to us, times one thousand.

They would likely be out to colonize, there is little to no other reason to put forth all of the resources for deep space travel. It is a waste of time and energy just to stop in and say “hi”.

If they have the necessity, desire, and technology to travel the distance required to reach us… I don’t think we have much of a chance.[/quote]
I see. I think, tho, that even this has gigantic assumptions in its logic. I mean GIGANTIC. I’m sitting here almost baffled that someone like Hawking, a mathematician, would make such assumptions.

First of all, we don’t fully understand evolution. We cannot make assumptions about how evolution would have acted on another planet. This leads to number 2.

Second, we don’t have any true knowledge of what their planet(s) is like and how this may have effected their evolution and culture. We don’t even know for sure all the elements that exist on their planet. There are so many variables that we can’t begin to guess at that their development and the way they live really isn’t something we can guess at confidently.

And going directly at his point, man has clearly evolved in a technological sense at an exponential rate - and I’m not using that for literary effect. We have advanced more in the last 200 years than we did over the previous 1000 years. Had societal events unfolded differently, our species could possibly be 100x more advanced than we are right now. I’m not so sure that evolution plays a strong roll in our ability to develop better technology. I’d wager to say that man today is pretty close genetically to man as it was back in Rome, and when man begins deep space travel or at least extra-planetary colonization, they will be pretty close genetically to the people in Rome too.

Trying to be more concise: in man’s evolutionary track, the vast majority of our technological achievements have come in the last 2%-.5% of our existence. I’m not so sure that evolution is a key point as much as society and what previous technological achievements we already have.

Even if Hawking is right and they aren’t so nice. What if they are really small? What if they can’t stand oxygen?

And who’s to say their culture isn’t a lot nicer and they do just want to come say hello and exchange ideas? Maybe they aren’t as barbarous and greedy as man.

Maybe they are already here. :o

It’s Hawking, not Hawkings…