Here goes.. 49er therapy.

I am in a freaking 49er Groundhog Day every year.

This team does not know how to win!!!
They can stay close enough to tease you but do not know how to win!!!

We could have playesd Alabama to 20 overtimes and fouled out everyone on their team except the remaining five on the bench and still lost.

We have to hold the record for 2 and 3 OT games in consecutive years. What is this our third straight year with a multiple OT game. D*mn’it learn how to win!!

Tonight’s examples of not knowing how to win…

Free throws of course but mainly free throws from your senior captain that is shooting close to 50% from 3 pt range.
2 technicals and a 5 second call because our PF is out trying to run the clock down at the end of a game and our coach is overcoaching as usual and gets a 5 second call. Lutz overcoaches so much on our half court sets that we usually burn about 15 seconds looking over at him before we go into the zipper play and eventually force a 30 foot off balance 3 because the clock is winding down.
Your “go to guy” does not score from the 8 minute mark in the second half and the game goes 3 overtimes.
Our PG drives past his man down the lane 4 times and attempts 4 lay ups and never converts any of them.
A stupid goal tending mistake after a foul.

Bottomline Lutz does not have disciplined teams.

Why did Goldwire and Nance not play in the second half. Nance did have a 3 point play on a put back.

Goldwire should have spelled Plavich in the second half. I think Plavich got dead legs in the second half.

Well I guess the good news is at least we did not have a backcourt violation tonight.

Here goes:

My first post. Been reading this board for a while and enjoy all the 49er news and talk. But tonight after the Alabama game…I need therapy.

Just a few questions (some of which have already been asked)…

Why not use CW more?

Why does CW make an entry pass (that is stolen) to Iti in one of the OTs when we haven’t passed him the ball all night? Not wanting to dwell on individual mistakes, we all make them, but our PG, SG, or anyone else for that matter gave him the ball in the post all night. I think all of his points came off of rebounds or deflections.

Why continue to force terrible 3s?

Why can’t we turn the corner?

Why no subs in OT 1-3? Or very few? If we are going to continue forcing up 3s. why not get fresh legs? Tired ones do not hit from that far out.

Why Plavich on Winston (or whatever his name is) on their last possession? I know they had to switch on the play but someone PLEASE help! Everyone in Halton knew he was going to take their final shot!

Free (not for us) Throws?

Finally, the most glaring question of all…

What team in America would force up a 3, in a tie game, in OT (first or second I don’t remember) with the score tied, just out of a TO, and we only need ONE point to win? Wait a second I know the answer to this one…Charlotte! I told my wife during the time out that if we shoot a 3 I’m going to be sick. Guess what? :huh:

OK, I feel a little better. Tomorrow is a new day and there are many more games to play. But it is tough to give games away. OK I’m going to submit this. We’ll see how it looks.

[b]What team in America would force up a 3, in a tie game, in OT (first or second I don't remember) with the score tied, just out of a TO, and we only need ONE point to win?[/b]

I’m dying to hear an explanation for that one.

[i]Originally posted by RPMNiner[/i]@Dec 5 2004, 08:07 AM [b]
[b]What team in America would force up a 3, in a tie game, in OT (first or second I don't remember) with the score tied, just out of a TO, and we only need ONE point to win?[/b]

I’m dying to hear an explanation for that one. [/b]


Me too.

As a 6 year season ticket holder and before that a die hard student supporter who froze his ass off many a night camping, etc. I want an explanation too.

I’ll be calling Lutz Live from Atlanta this Thursday and when Gary Williams sees that 404 area code come up on the show, he better put me on the air.

I’m honestly as frustrated as I’ve been as a Niner fan and I can’t wait to hear Bobby’s answer.

Maybe the refs missed a few calls.

Maybe we could have executed some plays just a little better.

The bottom line is that the FREE THROW SHOOTING OF BP AND CW WAS TERRIBLE. You cannot expect to win a close game when your team hits 60%. But when the game is close and your two star players go a combined 5 of 13 we are in trouble.

To blame coach or the refs is futile. Coach ran us plays to get us to the line way more than Bama. We just didn’t execute at the line (well two players didn’t execute - I’ll excuse Iti from this discussion as I do not expect him to hit too many free throws). Some of you will say that it is coach’s fault for players not making free throws but I say that those guys need to spend time outside of practice and work on it. That is what makes a great player.

The only other dumb play that got us into the OT’s in the first place is the 5 second call. But even with that if we hit our free throws we do not get into that situation and BAMA never makes it to overtime.

Why is the coach not accountable? In any business situation the leader is the one who is held responsible. Lutz makes good money being our leader and he should be held responsible. We have a TON OF TALENT and I know it’s early in the season but most of these guys have been in the program for a while now. We should be 5-0 right now, instead we are a bubble team in the making.

If the coach is not accountable, who is?

I think a lot of us are frustrated, but honestly if this wasn’t the same storyline year in year out it would be different…

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate+Dec 5 2004, 07:22 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (NinerAdvocate @ Dec 5 2004, 07:22 AM)

[SIZE=2]FREE THROWS ARE GIFTS![/SIZE]

On November 15, 1993, a 71-year-old man stepped up to the line in a local gymnasium and sunk 2,750 free throws in a row. He walked away without a miss – they were closing the gym and asked him to leave.

This amazing feat, which took 12 hours to accomplish, was witnessed by 10 people who submitted sworn affidavits to the Guinness Book of Records. The record was accepted by Guinness and he is now listed as the greatest free throw shooter of all time.

This remarkable man is Dr. Tom Amberry, known as the “Big Kahuna of Free Throws.”

Dr. Tom, now 81, coaches college and high school players and gives motivational speeches to national corporations and civic groups. He has had “shoot outs” against NBA players and has never lost. He has appeared on many local and national TV shows including “David Letterman” and “NBC Nightly News.”

So, what’s his secret?
“Focus and concentration,” says Dr. Tom. “When I’m shooting a free throw, I don’t think of anything else. I am 100% positive I will make the basket. Never have a negative thought on the free throw line.”

Are there other important aspects to free throw shooting? “It’s important to have the right mechanics. Once you learn to put your body in the proper position and shoot correctly, then the rest is mental.”

Dr. Tom’s method is clearly described in his book Free Throw; 7 Steps to Success at the Free Throw Line, published by HarperCollins. He has also produced a 20 minute training video “Make Every Free Throw.”

As a college player, Dr. Tom was twice All-American and the nation’s high scorer. His plan to become a professional basketball player was interrupted by World War II. He spent four years in the U.S. Navy. Later, he was offered a two-year no-cut contract with the Lakers but turned it down to become a podiatrist.

Dr. Tom shoots 500 free throws every day in a gym in Orange County, California. He shoots with a 99.5 percent accuracy.

My next donation (this year) to the 49ers Athletic Department is this… Make Eevry Free Throw.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er+Dec 5 2004, 09:51 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (jcl49er @ Dec 5 2004, 09:51 AM)
Originally posted by NinerAdvocate@Dec 5 2004, 07:22 AM [b]
[i]Originally posted by jcl49er+Dec 5 2004, 09:51 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (jcl49er @ Dec 5 2004, 09:51 AM)
Originally posted by NinerAdvocate@Dec 5 2004, 07:22 AM [b]
[i]Originally posted by forDniner[/i]@Dec 5 2004, 03:40 PM [b] Give the ball to Mitch and let him drive. As bad as the ref's were I refuse to believe that they would not call a foul it Mitch took it strong to the hoop. [/b]
My only problem with that is what get's lost in this is discussion is that before the ball went out of bounds, Basden went inside and I felt he got fouled and the refs didn't call it. My feeling is that the refs were going to make you score a basket there and weren't going to call a foul.

I’d like to know too. Didn’t the play start with the P&R with Baldwin and Withers but end up with Plavich in the corner? I’m hoping Plavich wasn’t the first option.

[i]Originally posted by switchfoot+Dec 5 2004, 02:45 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (switchfoot @ Dec 5 2004, 02:45 PM)
[i]Originally posted by TheShowDawg[/i]@Dec 5 2004, 12:35 AM [b] I am in a freaking 49er Groundhog Day every year.

This team does not know how to win!!!
They can stay close enough to tease you but do not know how to win!!!

We could have playesd Alabama to 20 overtimes and fouled out everyone on their team except the remaining five on the bench and still lost.

We have to hold the record for 2 and 3 OT games in consecutive years. What is this our third straight year with a multiple OT game. D*mn’it learn how to win!!

Tonight’s examples of not knowing how to win…

Free throws of course but mainly free throws from your senior captain that is shooting close to 50% from 3 pt range.
2 technicals and a 5 second call because our PF is out trying to run the clock down at the end of a game and our coach is overcoaching as usual and gets a 5 second call. Lutz overcoaches so much on our half court sets that we usually burn about 15 seconds looking over at him before we go into the zipper play and eventually force a 30 foot off balance 3 because the clock is winding down.
Your “go to guy” does not score from the 8 minute mark in the second half and the game goes 3 overtimes.
Our PG drives past his man down the lane 4 times and attempts 4 lay ups and never converts any of them.
A stupid goal tending mistake after a foul.

Bottomline Lutz does not have disciplined teams.

Why did Goldwire and Nance not play in the second half. Nance did have a 3 point play on a put back.

Goldwire should have spelled Plavich in the second half. I think Plavich got dead legs in the second half.

Well I guess the good news is at least we did not have a backcourt violation tonight. [/b]


At least your favorite cheerleader is OK after being dropped about 3 times.

My Sunday Morning Quarterback assesment on the coaching.

Great substitution pattern until the overtimes.
It is hard to say this, but Iti sould have been in on a couple of plays when we needed to get the rebound.

Lutz technical sucked - bad time. It did not help in any way.

The players have to hit their freethrows, the coach can’t shoot them.

Now is the time for the coach to stay positive. I think we are at a turining point, even though it is early in the season. This team still has a chance to do something this year. Think about it this way, we hit a few freethrows and we are undefeated and probably in the top 20. You could tell Lutz was dissapointed in the post game talk and said it would be hard to get ready for Davidson.

[i]Originally posted by switchfoot+Dec 5 2004, 02:45 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (switchfoot @ Dec 5 2004, 02:45 PM)

Its easy to sit and second guess after the game. The one thing I hope we do is try something new in the free throw department. Call in the consutant from California …whatever…just try something. As for the game in general I am sure Bobby Lutz is playing the game play by play over in his mind. We had them beat …and he coached us there…he also takes the responsibility for his part in letting it slip away. I think we can still have an AWSOME year if we can just improve in the free throw department. We seem so solid in all other aspects of the game.