Hey Mike, How about a nice cover story on #1

I must say i’ve really enjoyed the great coverage on the niners lately, but I think the Charlotte comunity deserves a nice Tarheel cover story for there great efforts against the mighty WCC. Its really hard playing a school from the WCC when your star player is supended. :lol:

If there is room maybe you can squeez us in next to the ECU beating Pepperdine story

JK-thanks for the great coverage mike :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe a headline like “TARHOLES SUCK BUT NINERS REMAIN UNDEFEATED”.

B)   B)   B)   B)   B)   B)   B) 

B) B) B) B) B) B) B)

Someone needs to e-mail fatazz Poole and tell him at least the “CLASSY UNC” won last night. He will be whining for weeks.

:stuck_out_tongue:

After all the ink the Observer had been running on the Niners in preseason, to open Saturday morning’s paper and see the story on the Charlotte-Long Beach State game buried on page 11C was rather disheartening. The newspaper certainly showed what was important on page 1C:

Biggest headline - UNC-CH loss to Santa Clara
Biggest photo - Detroit-Indiana “brawl” (actually, biggest item on page 1C)
Other headlines - NASCAR, Davidson-Mizzou game, and Country Day-Charlotte Latin football

Yes, we did get a photo of Martin Iti in the lower left hand corner directing anyone interested to page 11C. Whoopteedo! :rolleyes:

Mitchell Baldwin has the game of his career and the story is buried in the back of the sports section! And here’s the headline for the story on page 11C (Saturday’s sports section had 14 pages):

Drayton impresses in guest starting role

There is a b&w nice photo of Baldwin on 11C (Iti’s was in color!), but other than a passing mention of him in the first few paragraphs, there is no focus on our starting PG in the story until the 9th paragraph!

And the story mentions that Shawn Hawkins is Long Beach State’s leading scorer at 18.5 ppg even though Friday was - other than exhibitions - the first game he every played for the West Coast 49ers!

Finally, as the Observer showed over the weekend and this morning, Conference USA is going to be an afterthought.

Well, there’s my 2 cents worth. I feel better now… <_<

GO NINERS!!! BEAT THE SCARLET KNIGHTS! (STORY ON PAGE…)

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Nov 22 2004, 12:08 PM [b] Biggest headline - UNC-CH loss to Santa Clara Biggest photo - Detroit-Indiana "brawl" (actually, biggest item on page 1C) Other headlines - NASCAR, Davidson-Mizzou game, and Country Day-Charlotte Latin football [/b]
I don't know run. I think from a pure news standpoint the Holes getting beatdown by a no name team and the NBA brawl are more interesting than us rolling a team we were supposed to roll. Davidson Mizzou was big upset as well.
[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Nov 22 2004, 12:08 PM [b] After all the ink the Observer had been running on the Niners in preseason, to open Saturday morning's paper and see the story on the Charlotte-Long Beach State game buried on page 11C was rather disheartening. The newspaper certainly showed what was important on page 1C:

Other headlines - NASCAR, Davidson-Mizzou game, and Country Day-Charlotte Latin football

Yes, we did get a photo of Martin Iti in the lower left hand corner directing anyone interested to page 11C. Whoopteedo! :rolleyes:

Mitchell Baldwin has the game of his career and the story is buried in the back of the sports section! And here’s the headline for the story on page 11C (Saturday’s sports section had 14 pages):

There is a b&w nice photo of Baldwin on 11C (Iti’s was in color!), but other than a passing mention of him in the first few paragraphs, there is no focus on our starting PG in the story until the 9th paragraph!

And the story mentions that Shawn Hawkins is Long Beach State’s leading scorer at 18.5 ppg even though Friday was - other than exhibitions - the first game he every played for the West Coast 49ers!

Finally, as the Observer showed over the weekend and this morning, Conference USA is going to be an afterthought.

GO NINERS!!! BEAT THE SCARLET KNIGHTS! (STORY ON PAGE…) [/b]

Bitter Biscuit…Get over yourself man. Tar Heels losing to lowly Santa Clara IS a bigger story than us doing what we’re supposed to do. We got a nice pic on the front page, didn’t need the story on 1C w/ a busy Saturday in the world of sports.

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Nov 22 2004, 12:08 PM [b] After all the ink the Observer had been running on the Niners in preseason, to open Saturday morning's paper and see the story on the Charlotte-Long Beach State game buried on page 11C was rather disheartening. The newspaper certainly showed what was important on page 1C:

GO NINERS!!! BEAT THE SCARLET KNIGHTS! (STORY ON PAGE…) [/b]

Run, in my Boonies (Marshville) edition, ITI took up a third of what was above the fold, if not more…

The original front was overtaken by news, Run. I can send it to someone to post. I’m not tech-savvy enough.

send it to me Mike. I’ll PM you my address.

and FWIW, this is the first time I think I’ve ever disagreed with Run. :stuck_out_tongue:

NA, Bobblin, MK, Mac, Mike, et al,

Okay, I will admit that every one of those stories on the front of the sports page was newsworthy (although the NBA brawl was more sensationalism that anything else!). I also know that the Niner faithful are going to turn to page whatever to read about the game. Just thinking about the average reader, though. Is he/she going to turn to page 11C to read about the Niners? Should we even care?

I know we’ve gone around and around on this one. What role does/should the Observer take in “promoting” the Niners? I’m thinking more unofficial here. We know we’re not getting it from WFNZ and that we’re a just a soundbite on the local TV sports segments.

One thing I have often read on here is that all we have to do is win to get on the front page of the sports section. Well, now it seems like I’m hearing that all we have to do is win the BIG games to get on the front page. So I can expect “buried” stories on the UNC-Asheville, Georgia State, Yale-typle games.

Not to belabor the point, I suppose I’m just a tab bit overzealous about this team and this season. As one who has been following this team since the 1970s, I just want to see the best sports team in Charlotte right now get front-page coverage!

[BTW, Mac, I’ll be down in your neck-of-the-woods on Thanksgiving Day!]

GO NINERS!!! BEAT RUTGERS!

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Nov 22 2004, 02:32 PM [b] NA, Bobblin, MK, Mac, Mike, et al,

One thing I have often read on here is that all we have to do is win to get on the front page of the sports section. Well, now it seems like I’m hearing that all we have to do is win the BIG games to get on the front page. [/b]

As much as I and all Charlotte fan want more publicity and coverage, which by the way I do believe we are getting, I do not think winning one game (all we have done so far) is what is meant by winning. The coverage is getting there.

Run, I completely understand what you are saying and appreciate and support your concern. However, the stories on the papers front page were possibly more important than us beating LBSU. If the game had been the Alabama game then that would have been something else.

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Nov 22 2004, 02:32 PM [b] One thing I have often read on here is that all we have to do is win to get on the front page of the sports section. Well, now it seems like I'm hearing that all we have to do is win the BIG games to get on the front page. So I can expect "buried" stories on the UNC-Asheville, Georgia State, Yale-typle games. [/b]
If not Page 1 why did it get buried on Page 11? I know some Observer folks have the responsibility to promote the ACC $$$ but Page 11 for us was ridiculous.

We will be on Page 1 since we lost tonight. Wait and see.

[i]Originally posted by LakeNorman49er[/i]@Nov 23 2004, 12:29 AM [b] We will be on Page 1 since we lost tonight. Wait and see. [/b]
damn straight. and if we won by 30, we would get a small story that no one who isnt looking for it will see

very frustrating

[i]Originally posted by Chisox17[/i]@Nov 23 2004, 02:24 AM [b] we would get a small story that no one who isnt looking for it will see

very frustrating [/b]

You’ll get your picture on the internet when you and your “crew” beats the hell out of someone for wearing a Tarheel hat.

[i]Originally posted by Chisox17+Nov 23 2004, 01:24 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Chisox17 @ Nov 23 2004, 01:24 AM)
[i]Originally posted by Chisox17[/i]@Nov 23 2004, 01:24 AM [b] and if we won by 30, we would get a small story that no one who isnt looking for it will see

very frustrating [/b]

Thank you Chisox. You tell it like it is.