High Point, Nov 9... this may help some

No scrimmages before their opening game. I don’t know if you should blame the NCAA or them for this one. Actually, I would likely blame the Big South Conference for allowing their schools to schedule so many Division II games.

[QUOTE][COLOR=Indigo][B]High Point Basketballs Cancel Exhibitions
[I]By Brian Morgan, HighPointPanthers.com
October 25, 2007[/I][/B]

The High Point University men’s and women’s basketball teams in conjunction with the HPU Athletic Department announced the cancellation of all scheduled preseason basketball exhibition games for the upcoming 2007-08 season.

The games affected include the men’s basketball game versus Ferrum on Nov. 2 along with the women’s basketball contests set for Nov. 4 (Emory & Henry) and Nov. 7 (Belmont Abbey). The cancellation came about after High Point received word from the Big South Conference and the NCAA that their schedules may not have been in compliance with regards to the number of games allowed versus non-Division I opponents.

The situation is centered around a pair of NCAA bylaws. Bylaw 17.5.5.3 allows Division I teams to play non-Division I four-year teams for exhibition games while bylaws 20.9.6.1 and 20.9.6.3 set the number of non-Division I opponents at four per season for both men’s and women’s basketball. The misinterpretation issue deals with how exhibition games are to count towards the total number of non-Division I opponents for that season. A little-known NCAA rules interpretation written in 1985 concluded that preseason games were to be counted against the number of non-Division I games scheduled in a season.

“After speaking with the NCAA, reviewing the bylaws and discovering the interpretation,” said Dr. Woody Gibson, High Point University Director of Athletics. “The coaches and I determined that we were scheduled to exceed the allowable number of non-Division I games. In order to be in compliance, we decided our best option was to cancel our preseason exhibition games as opposed to any of our regular season competitions. I apologize to all our HPU fans for any inconvenience these cancellations may cause and also thank them for understanding and respecting our need to keep our schedules in compliance with NCAA rules.”

The Panthers were not the only program affected by this situation as several other Big South Conference men’s and women’s teams also cancelled exhibition games this year. In addition, multiple other mid-major conferences and teams were also contacted by the NCAA in regards to this same issue.

The High Point men’s basketball team will open the regular season on the road on Nov. 9 against in-state rival Charlotte. The women’s squad hosts King College at 7 p.m. on Nov. 10 in the Millis Center for their season debut.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE][B][COLOR=Indigo]NCAA rule forces HPU to cancel exhibitions
[I]By Tom Berry, Enterprise Sports Writer
Friday, October 26, 2007[/I][/B]

HIGH POINT – A misunderstanding about NCAA rules has led the High Point University men’s and women’s basketball teams to cancel their exhibition games.

The Panther men will not play Ferrum on Nov. 2, the team’s only scheduled exhibition. They instead will play a closed scrimmage against Campbell on Saturday at HPU. The Panther women have cancelled both exhibitions: Nov. 4 against Emory & Henry and Nov. 7 against Belmont Abbey.

“We got some bad information,” said High Point women’s coach Tooey Loy.

The cancellations came after High Point received word from the Big South Conference and NCAA that their schedules may not be in compliance with the maximum number of games allowed against non-NCAA Division I opponents.

High Point, which became an NCAA D-I school in 1999, cannot play more than four non-Division I opponents per season. Both the men and women scheduled four non-DI opponents during the regular season, believing any exhibitions against non-Division I schools would be allowed.

That is not the case. According to an HPU press release Wednesday, “a little-known NCAA rules interpretation written in 1985 concluded that preseason games were to be counted against the number of non-Division I games scheduled in a season.”

Woody Gibson, High Point’s director of athletics, released the following statement: “After speaking with the NCAA, reviewing the bylaws and discovering the interpretation, the coaches and I determined that we were scheduled to exceed the allowable number of non-Division I games. In or*der to be in compliance, we decided our best option was to cancel our preseason exhibition games as opposed to any of our regular-season competitions. I apologize to all our HPU fans for any inconvenience these cancellations may cause and also thank them for understanding and respecting our need to keep our schedules in compliance with NCAA rules.”

Other schools in the Big South have cancelled exhibitions for the same reason.

High Point’s men open the regular season at Charlotte on Nov. 9. The women play host to King College on Nov. 10, then go to Virginia Tech the next night.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I don’t pity them. When you make the leap to Division I, you should quit playing Division II teams unless it’s only for a scrimmage. I know it’s tough for them to get home games without scheduling DII teams, but you have to play some 2-for-1’s against the mid-major teams to get those. If they have 4 non-conference games to go with their 8 conference games, that’s not too bad for a school at their level. Couple those with their “buy” games against us, Dayton, Utah, and Florida, and they come out okay in the revenue department.

11/19 WARREN WILSON COLLEGE Home 7:00 pm
12/8 JOHNSON & WALES Home 7:00 pm
12/14 ANDERSON UNIVERSITY Home 7:00 pm
1/8 FLORIDA CHRISTIAN COLLEGE Home 7:00 pm

Scheduling the above games is not helping anybody. I’m surprised Memphis’ favorite opponent, Christian Brothers, was not included. In an indirect way, it’s going to hurt us because HPU’s RPI will suffer from playing those cupcakes. Where is the NCAA when you need them. This needs to stop.

The Big South had this big push a few years ago about wanting to bump up their RPI and having to schedule teams in the upper 50% of the ratings. Then they come back and allow D-II games which I believe would indirectly hurt any RPI simply by not having the number of games averaged in.

High Point is having troble getting home games due to the size of the Millis Center. It’s been casually discussed but since they spent $225 million on constuction on the campus [B]last year[/B], it may be time to invest $20-50 million in something bigger and better.

These teams schedule games against non-Division I teams to balance the games in which they are paid to play. It offsets the schedule. They pay 4 non-DI teams and bigger schools pay them in 3-4 guarantee games. Makes sense for them to play these games.

In an indirect way, it's going to hurt us because HPU's RPI will suffer from playing those cupcakes. Where is the NCAA when you need them. This needs to stop.

x,
I could be wrong, but I thought D2 games don’t count at all on the RPI (its like it never took place). That is why they don’t even show up on your record on RPI websites (ie, you could be 20-5 with 2 wins vs D2 teams, but the RPI sites say you are 18-5).

^Yeah DII games dont count for or against RPI

[QUOTE=metro;264299]x,
I could be wrong, but I thought D2 games don’t count at all on the RPI (its like it never took place). That is why they don’t even show up on your record on RPI websites (ie, you could be 20-5 with 2 wins vs D2 teams, but the RPI sites say you are 18-5).[/QUOTE]

You’re correct, the DII games do not count towards the RPI ratings. As HP hinted at, I think it still hurts you with the formula in the long run though from not having those games averaged in, win or lose. I don’t have it programmed, but that would be a good RPI experiment if you had it in a spreadsheet. If the RPI automatically averaged, say 27 games, whether you played that many or not, teams would quit playing DII schools for profit.

[QUOTE=X-49er;264294]

11/19 WARREN WILSON COLLEGE Home 7:00 pm
12/8 JOHNSON & WALES Home 7:00 pm
12/14 ANDERSON UNIVERSITY Home 7:00 pm
1/8 FLORIDA CHRISTIAN COLLEGE Home 7:00 pm

[/QUOTE]

At least they will eat well for the team dinner on 12/8… provided they treat their visitors nice.

Remind me again why a one-bid league should care about RPI?

Remind me again why a one-bid league should care about RPI?

old habits

[QUOTE=metro;264312]old habits[/QUOTE]

Big South and Southern are one bid leagues. Not A-10.

Mike = Jack a$$…remind me what year our league (CUSA or A10) actually only got one bid…

:tongue:

Big South and Southern are one bid leagues. Not A-10.

gotcha, it looked like he meant A10.

I was talking about the Big South. There had been no mention of the A-10 in this thread before my post, so I’m not sure how that could have been misinterpreted. Of course you guys should be worried about RPI, and in turn about High Point’s RPI since they’re an opponent. But they have NO reason to worry about it. Not sure why everyone always thinks I’m dissing the A-10. There are plenty of critics of that conference around this board without me.

This is REALLY going to play to our advantage. By this game, we will have already had the exhibition game vs Ottowa, and the closed scrimmage vs UNSeaW. HPU on the other hand, has to come into our house, and play a much more talented ::knock on wood:: team, without having had any real gametime experience yet. That is going to be tough for them to pull off.

I have heard all the talk about how good HPU is supposed to be this year, but considering all the variables, we really should beat them by about 15 or so. (I miss the days when this would be a 35+ point blowout, but hey I’ll take what I can get)

Of course you guys should be worried about RPI, and in turn about High Point's RPI since they're an opponent.

Good point. Meaning…We better ****ing win this game!!!

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;264311]Remind me again why a one-bid league should care about RPI?[/QUOTE]
Mike, I’m thinking tourney seeding is based partially on RPI, so even if you are representing a one-bid league, the higher the RPI, the better your seeding.

BTW, no excuse for any D-I team playing outside the division when there are 330+ teams. Geez!!! :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=919R;264323]Mike = Jack a$$…remind me what year our league (CUSA or A10) actually only got one bid…

:tongue:[/QUOTE]

Wow dude. Cool the jets there. He is talking about HPU.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;264328]This is REALLY going to play to our advantage. We will by this game, we will have already had the exhibition game vs Ottowa, and the closed scrimmage vs UNSeaW. HPU on the other hand, has to come into our house, and play a much more talented ::knock on wood:: team, without having had any real gametime experience yet. That is going to be tough for them to pull off.

I have heard all the talk about how good HPU is supposed to be this year, but considering all the variables, we really should beat them by about 15 or so. (I miss the days when this would be a 35+ point blowout, but hey I’ll take what I can get)[/QUOTE]

Why did you have to go and say that??? These days, I’m not taking anyone for granted.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;264341]Wow dude. Cool the jets there. He is talking about HPU.[/QUOTE]
This won’t be the pushover some of you think it’s going to be.