High Point, Nov 9... this may help some

[QUOTE=run49er;264338]Mike, Iā€™m thinking tourney seeding is based partially on RPI, so even if you are representing a one-bid league, the higher the RPI, the better your seeding.

BTW, no excuse for any D-I team playing outside the division when there are 330+ teams. Geez!!! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

True, but most one-bid leagues send teams outside the top 64, and sometimes outside the top 100, in the RPI. A 15 instead of a 16, what difference is there, really?

This won't be the pushover some of you think it's going to be.

Yes it will. Come on, High Point is no North Texas.

I looked at Kenpom and found 17 one-bid leagues from last year, all based on RPI 13 seeds or worse. So I guess itā€™s the difference between playing a 4 seed in the first round and playing a 1. Big difference, I agree. So a little attention to RPI is probably warranted, but not at the expense of the bottom line. Youā€™re likely fodder for someone elseā€™s tourney run anyway. Now, if you can get a 12 ā€¦

True, but most one-bid leagues send teams outside the top 64, and sometimes outside the top 100, in the RPI. A 15 instead of a 16, what difference is there, really?

:asta:

Thats sooo true. There gonna get smashed. Outside of the fluke upset, but that could happen against a 1 or a 2. So in the end it really doesnt matter.

[QUOTE=HP49er;264349]This wonā€™t be the pushover some of you think itā€™s going to be.[/QUOTE]

The truly sad part is you are correct.

[QUOTE=HP49er;264349]This wonā€™t be the pushover some of you think itā€™s going to be.[/QUOTE]

Oh, Iā€™m not saying they are going to be a pushover. We are discussing RPI and I was pointing out that Mike was talking about the Southern Conference.

This won't be the pushover some of you think it's going to be.
If we lose this game, Lutz can go ahead and start packing his bags.

I wouldnā€™t go that far eason. You folks have a big hang up on team names, not the talent on them. I am telling you HP is good and their team has been groomed for this season.

I wouldn't go that far eason. You folks have a big hang up on team names, not the talent on them. I am telling you HP is good and their team has been groomed for this season.
You're sort of biased about HP, [B]HP[/B]49er. :tongue:

I legitimately think the majority of fans will want him gone if he canā€™t beat High Point.

Biased, eason? Not at all, Iā€™ve just seen them play plenty of games. If Iā€™m not in Charlotte at a 49ers game and the Panthers are at home, Iā€™ll be there. But am I a fan of HPU? No more than I am of Wake Forest or any other local team.

Biased, eason? Not at all, I've just seen them play plenty of games. If I'm not in Charlotte at a 49ers game and the Panthers are at home, I'll be there. But am I a fan of HPU? No more than I am of Wake Forest or any other local team.
Losing to High Point is like Duke losing to UNCW.

We have, or I thought we had, built up enough prestige in this program that losing to one of the least known schools in North Carolina would be unacceptable.

we have a better program than HP. however, they had a great team last season and will again this year. that means nothing about the superiority of the programā€™s prestigeā€¦thatā€™s not what matters at all on the floorā€¦you sound like a chapel hill fan overconfident about playingā€¦hellā€¦anyone. itā€™s not about history or prestige, itā€™s about the game. HPU has a great team. and by your reasoning, North Texas now has a better program than we do.

Least known? Get out from under that rock. President [URL=http://www.highpoint.edu/newpresidents/?DeptCategory=170&PageID=3577][U][B]Nido Qubein[/B][/U][/URL] is internationally known in the business, literary and speaking circles. Did you ever hear of some average old basketball coach named Tubby Smith? Before your time but former Hornets coach Gene Littles also attended and earned HP diplomas. The school must be known to someone, 70% of their student body is from more than 100 miles away (27% more than 500 miles away!).

For the record, there are 19 colleges/universities within 50 miles of the city of High Point, one of them isnā€™t UNC Charlotte.

[QUOTE=eason49;264395]Losing to High Point is like Duke losing to UNCW.[/QUOTE]

Thatā€™s a bit much. High Point is supposed to be what Winthrop has been lately. And since Winthrop was dangerous enough last year to beat SEC, MVC, CUSA, and CAA opponents, then I doubt if the college basketball world will be sent into shock if a young team such as ours loses the game.

Iā€™ll make a bold prediction: Charlotte will be upset by bad opponents this season and they will pull upsets against good opponents this season.

You can stop gasping now. :tongue:

I see 6 games on the schedule against teams that we have maybe an 80+% shot at losing. And I see 6 games that we have an 80+% chance of beating (and High Point sure as hell ainā€™t one of them). Weā€™ll see upsets in both categories - happens every season. Itā€™s what makes us no different than the vast, vast majority of the 330 or so Division I basketball programs that are out there.

Nothing bold about your prediction. There are too many unknowns about this team.

[QUOTE=eason49;264387]If we lose this game, Lutz can go ahead and start packing his bags.[/QUOTE]

I might remind you that several predictions have us losing this game. Even, WH (Who does great predictions) has us losing. All I better say, is Lutz better have the boys ready because HP will bring it.

Least known? Get out from under that rock. President [URL=http://www.highpoint.edu/newpresidents/?DeptCategory=170&PageID=3577][U][B]Nido Qubein[/B][/U][/URL] is internationally known in the business, literary and speaking circles. Did you ever hear of some average old basketball coach named Tubby Smith? Before your time but former Hornets coach Gene Littles also attended and earned HP diplomas. The school must be known to someone, 70% of their student body is from more than 100 miles away (27% more than 500 miles away!).

For the record, there are 19 colleges/universities within 50 miles of the city of High Point, one of them isnā€™t UNC Charlotte.

I didnā€™t know High Point had a university until we beat them in womenā€™s basketball a year ago. No one from my high school went to High Point or even had it on their radar.

[QUOTE=eason49;264426]I didnā€™t know High Point had a university until we beat them in womenā€™s basketball a year ago. No one from my high school went to High Point or even had it on their radar.[/QUOTE]

That tends to happen with small private schools. Also, with it being private the money issue is always there.

Thereā€™s another small North Carolina private school that we play this year that isnā€™t named Davidson. Thatā€™s Gardner-Webb in Boiling Springs.

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;264429]That tends to happen with small private schools. Also, with it being private the money issue is always there.[/QUOTE]
Nido seems to have the money issue licked. Before 2005, contributions were $3 million annually. HPU has raised $60 million each of the past 2 years. $30 million was pledged in his first month as president!

HPU has built or is completing $225 million in [URL=http://www.highpoint.edu/construction/][B][U]new construction[/U][/B][/URL] on the campus this year.

Qubein also has some good contacts. Heā€™s been able to get as commencement speakers Queen Noor of Jordan, Rudy Giuliani and Bill Cosby. This year it will be Justice Clarence Thomas.

And the cool part is that he sits on the front row of the Millis Center at basketball games and shakes hands with each person that walks by.

I heard of HPU when I was in HS. A couple girls went to HPU but later transfered to Charlotte.

Its not much of a commuter campus. They got a sweet ass pool :slight_smile: