Holy Moley, Where's Charlie Coley?

Hey guys. I’m a displaced Niners fan, out here in California. My brother was talking to me about taking his son to see the Globetrotters, which reminded me that our favorite resident dunk artist, Mr. Charlie Coley, was a part of the team for a while. I thought about tagging along to get another chance to watch Charlie fly, but when I checked the roster online, I noticed he wasn’t listed.

So, I was wondering if anyone knew what Charlie was up to. I figured he’d be making bank and stacking dunk contest trophies in Europe by now. Whatever he’s doing, I hope all is well and he and his family are happy. Dude was one of the happiest guys to ever put on a Charlotte jersey, and I for one won’t be forgetting him, his fro, or his frequent Vince Carter impressions any time soon.

[quote=“Booster_Gold, post:1, topic:26642”]Hey guys. I’m a displaced Niners fan, out here in California. My brother was talking to me about taking his son to see the Globetrotters, which reminded me that our favorite resident dunk artist, Mr. Charlie Coley, was a part of the team for a while. I thought about tagging along to get another chance to watch Charlie fly, but when I checked the roster online, I noticed he wasn’t listed.

So, I was wondering if anyone knew what Charlie was up to. I figured he’d be making bank and stacking dunk contest trophies in Europe by now. Whatever he’s doing, I hope all is well and he and his family are happy. Dude was one of the happiest guys to ever put on a Charlotte jersey, and I for one won’t be forgetting him, his fro, or his frequent Vince Carter impressions any time soon.[/quote]

I know some one close to him, I’ll check with them and see what he’s been up to. One for the most exciting Niners to watch in my time.

By far my favorite 49er. I will never forget him jumping over the chair on the table my Soph year at Midnight Madness. Him and Lamont Mack were great together their first year together from Junior college. I will never forget that team. Leemire, DiJuan, Coley, Lamont, AnJuan, Big Phil, Sean Phaler, Big Gaby, Dewhurst, Ian Anderson, and I even thought Michael Gerrity was going to be a great PG. I forgot how much I liked that team.

I don’t think he’s been on the Globetrotters for a while. I was going to check them out last year but realized he wasn’t on the team back then either.

That would be awesome, sir.

Heh… I remember that Midnight Madness like it was yesterday. It was my junior year, and I remember watching Charlie warming up for the dunk contest, doing 360 and between the legs dunks off of two feet with ease and thinking, “Yeah, this is a different dude.” The only time I was ever legitimately concerned about the potential for injury on a dunk was when he jumped over that table and the chair. The reaction to that dunk, and the overall vibe from that night, was one of the better 49er atmospheres I can ever remember being a part of.

You’re right though, that whole group of guys were special. Lamont, Big Phil, and Charlie in particular were total sweethearts and loved playing in front of fans and fellow students. They never put themselves above the rest of us, either. I used to chat Lamont up at least once a week during his senior year whenever I would see him around the dorms. Dude always took a couple of minutes at least, to chat about the team and whatnot. Very cool guy.

As a bit of an aside, I’m a little disappointed in the lack of Charlie’s highlights on Youtube. You can find his Madness performances, the Dunk Contest from Detroit, and some of his in game stuff, like the alley-oop he had against URI where it looked like he was going to run into the ceiling. A lot of his greatest hits, like the put back against Xavier and the sweet fast break windmill he did… I want to say it was when we played George Washington, but I can’t remember exactly, are missing though. Also kinda bummed to find that the highlight video of his from right before the dunk contest on Niner Insider is gone now, too, which does make sense considering it was three years ago.

That would be awesome, sir.

Heh… I remember that Midnight Madness like it was yesterday. It was my junior year, and I remember watching Charlie warming up for the dunk contest, doing 360 and between the legs dunks off of two feet with ease and thinking, “Yeah, this is a different dude.” The only time I was ever legitimately concerned about the potential for injury on a dunk was when he jumped over that table and the chair. The reaction to that dunk, and the overall vibe from that night, was one of the better 49er atmospheres I can ever remember being a part of.

You’re right though, that whole group of guys were special. Lamont, Big Phil, and Charlie in particular were total sweethearts and loved playing in front of fans and fellow students. They never put themselves above the rest of us, either. I used to chat Lamont up at least once a week during his senior year whenever I would see him around the dorms. Dude always took a couple of minutes at least, to chat about the team and whatnot. Very cool guy.

As a bit of an aside, I’m a little disappointed in the lack of Charlie’s highlights on Youtube. You can find his Madness performances, the Dunk Contest from Detroit, and some of his in game stuff, like the alley-oop he had against URI where it looked like he was going to run into the ceiling. A lot of his greatest hits, like the put back against Xavier and the sweet fast break windmill he did… I want to say it was when we played George Washington, but I can’t remember exactly, are missing though. Also kinda bummed to find that the highlight video of his from right before the dunk contest on Niner Insider is gone now, too, which does make sense considering it was three years ago.[/quote]

Yeah I was friendly with both Coley and Mack. There Junior year the two of them lived right across from Lynch Hall. I forgot the name of the dorm, but they were always around and were great. That was also they year Leemire went toe to toe with Steph Curry and AnJuan had the number 1 play on sportcenter with his 360 layup in out upset against Wake Forest at the Bobcat Arena. That year was great and it has been completely downhill since.

They (Coley, Harris, JB) were my neighbors in Maple my sophomore year (their junior year). Cool guys

I would also like to know what Coley is up to. Got to hang out with him briefly @ a couple of conference tourneys back when I played in the ol’ band. Super nice dude, and a great attitude.

On another note: How sad it has become that people are now consistently referring to a season where we didn’t make the NCAA tournament as a “great year.” We have GOT to get this program back outta the crapper.

Well, we did get dismantled in the first round of the NIT!

No season not in the NCAA Tourney is acceptable. I remember the good ole days when I was disappointed with a Round of 32 loss because I expected at least Sweet 16.

I don’t recall ever expecting a S16. Hoping? Yes - Expecting? No

We haven’t seen a second weekend of the NCAAs since 1977.

You don’t think people were expecting to beat a 13 seed in the second round?

Like I said until we prove that we can win in those situations, I don’t expect it.

Maybe my standards are too high, NWA.

Hilarious!

Hilarious![/quote]

Sadly funny and also true.

[quote=“49erDrummer, post:8, topic:26642”]I would also like to know what Coley is up to. Got to hang out with him briefly @ a couple of conference tourneys back when I played in the ol’ band. Super nice dude, and a great attitude.

On another note: How sad it has become that people are now consistently referring to a season where we didn’t make the NCAA tournament as a “great year.” We have GOT to get this program back outta the crapper.[/quote]

Having the benefit of hindsight certainly helps. That '08 year wasn’t great, but it was all sorts of fun watching those kids grow and play and improve. At the time, I felt like the season represented our rise back to respectability in general and prominence in a new(ish) conference. I fully expected to win the A10 and be a tournament team the next season, and I figured the program would just keep growing from there. Obviously, that didn’t happen. The wheels came off, and that '08-'09 season set us back big time. It certainly hasn’t helped that we haven’t made the best decisions since then.

Recruiting more Fast Eddie’s and CCIII’s and Lamont’s would be a tremendous start.

Any update on CC3?