How bout that Matt Swierad?

Last night near the end of the game was the first time I ever heard Matt get his back up over a call.

Near the end of the game, we missed a jumper and someone from UMASS climbed over our backs to get a rebound and Matt went ballistic and said this has been happening all night! Then on the next possession, DA was shoved out of bounds and it was called a turnover - again Matt went OFF on the refs! - remeniscient of another “passionate” 49er announcer.

I like this new side of Swierad! Keep it up Matt.

That was definitely an over-the-back on that play. Even with the subpar video feed online, you could clearly see that guy climb a back to get the ball. Terrible no-call but fortunately, we held on to win.

Matt has flashes every now and again but I still find him to be too low-key when calling our games. I’ve yet to hear him when I’m still not thinking of Charlotte Knights baseball. He’s improved but I’d still like to see more fire from him. Just tough to fill Jag’s shoes so Matt will always be compared to Dave which is probably unfair. Not many commentators are gonna be the homer that Jags was. Some may find that to be a positive though.

Matt usually gets pretty animated when there are bad calls from what I can remember. Usually once or twice a game it seems.
He’s not a huge homer, but sometimes that gets annoying as well.

FWIW, I heard Jags do a “cut in” with scores and news on ESPN Radio the other day, I had to rewind my Sirius radio to make sure it was him. Good work jags.

and during that over the back situation, the announcer for the UMASS tv thing was like wow, look at these UMASS players out working the niners for the rebounds, what an effort

we already know these A10 refs are bad. We knew they were going to blow some calls but thank god we didn’t lose because of it this time.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;156412]That was definitely an over-the-back on that play. Even with the subpar video feed online, you could clearly see that guy climb a back to get the ball. Terrible no-call but fortunately, we held on to win.

Matt has flashes every now and again but I still find him to be too low-key when calling our games. I’ve yet to hear him when I’m still not thinking of Charlotte Knights baseball. He’s improved but I’d still like to see more fire from him. Just tough to fill Jag’s shoes so Matt will always be compared to Dave which is probably unfair. Not many commentators are gonna be the homer that Jags was. Some may find that to be a positive though.[/QUOTE]

sweirad is brutal on the radio

For some reason, I was thinking about the last GW game today… Matt was going CRAZY. Never heard him that animated ever.

“Where’s the foul, ref?? WHERE’S THE FOUL!!! [B]WHERE’S the FOUL???”[/B]

I was shocked. That was his coming-out party as far as I’m concerned… made me a fan of his.

[QUOTE=NinerATL2CHA;176631]For some reason, I was thinking about the last GW game today… Matt was going CRAZY. Never heard him that animated ever.

“Where’s the foul, ref?? WHERE’S THE FOUL!!! [B]WHERE’S the FOUL???”[/B]

I was shocked. That was his coming-out party as far as I’m concerned… made me a fan of his.[/QUOTE]

So I guess you are nominating this thread as one of MEGRNiner’s top 5 as part of the Birthday Retrospective Extravaganza… Duely noted…

God I feel old!

Anna Kournakova was born the day I bought my first mixed drink… legally.