How many season tickets will you buy if Major is retained?

[quote=“Niner National, post:17, topic:28630”][quote=“49er1, post:15, topic:28630”]You guys can do, or not do, buy or not buy, for whatever reason(s), for or against our school and its athletic programs. For me, I have and will always support the school and athletic programs with whatever resources I can afford, no matter what, but especially, during “hard” times.
If you want to “protest” by withholding financial support that’s gotta make you feel really good, but it does NOT help the school or the athletic programs. So enjoy the glow you get by “sticking” it to our school, but damn, it’s really illogical, unhelpful, selfish and begs the question: why don’t you just go away for good, here included…or, DO SOMETHING productive to help resolve the problems we have.

Not buying tix, not attending games, not donating to the foundation is COUNTER PRODUCTIVE. It’s time to spend your money and energy elsewhere. Please go now and find something else besides Charlotte sports and this message board to make your life complete. God speed and good luck. GO NINERS, FOREVER![/quote]Supporting garbage just sends the message that you’re fine with the way things are.

Saying “here is my money, I’m okay with the status quo” is far more counter productive.

I don’t feel like I’m sticking it to anyone. I have limited entertainment dollars. If I can choose to spend $200 to watch a basketball team with a coach that is clearly in over his head or $300 for Hornets season tickets, I choose Hornets.[/quote]

Bye.

[quote=“Niner National, post:20, topic:28630”][quote=“49r9r, post:18, topic:28630”]It is possible to still support the school without buying basketball tickets you do not need. There is still football, baseball, soccer, and academics.[/quote]This.

I’ll probably still get football season tickets (although I’m not really a big fan of another season playing what amounts to 11 scrimmage games). I’ll still catch a few soccer and baseball games a year. I’ll probably even go to a few basketball games, but I’m not going to spend $200 on season tickets to watch us lose to schools that the casual fan has never even heard of.

There is no fun in not being competitive. I support the school solely for entertainment and what I’ve watched this year has not been entertaining.[/quote]

If you are paying $200 and not lower level, you are paying $100+ too much. The whole upper level is a free for all. Buy the cheapest and move where ever.

[quote=“49er1, post:21, topic:28630”][quote=“Niner National, post:17, topic:28630”][quote=“49er1, post:15, topic:28630”]You guys can do, or not do, buy or not buy, for whatever reason(s), for or against our school and its athletic programs. For me, I have and will always support the school and athletic programs with whatever resources I can afford, no matter what, but especially, during “hard” times.
If you want to “protest” by withholding financial support that’s gotta make you feel really good, but it does NOT help the school or the athletic programs. So enjoy the glow you get by “sticking” it to our school, but damn, it’s really illogical, unhelpful, selfish and begs the question: why don’t you just go away for good, here included…or, DO SOMETHING productive to help resolve the problems we have.

Not buying tix, not attending games, not donating to the foundation is COUNTER PRODUCTIVE. It’s time to spend your money and energy elsewhere. Please go now and find something else besides Charlotte sports and this message board to make your life complete. God speed and good luck. GO NINERS, FOREVER![/quote]Supporting garbage just sends the message that you’re fine with the way things are.

Saying “here is my money, I’m okay with the status quo” is far more counter productive.

I don’t feel like I’m sticking it to anyone. I have limited entertainment dollars. If I can choose to spend $200 to watch a basketball team with a coach that is clearly in over his head or $300 for Hornets season tickets, I choose Hornets.[/quote]

Bye.[/quote]

If you’re going to tell everyone bye who will no longer give their money anymore to support a TERRIBLE product, then you’re going to have quite a number of former Niner faithful to tell. You’re also going to be lonely in Halton Arena. Money talks. BS walks. If we withhold our money for an incredibly subpar product, maybe Rose, Dubois and others will start to take note. If we blindly go forward and support such a lousy product, then we are culpable too because we don’t exercise the very little power most of us have. Vote with our feet and stay out of Halton until changes are made. Since you’ll be there and I won’t, BYE!

[quote=“49er1, post:21, topic:28630”][quote=“Niner National, post:17, topic:28630”][quote=“49er1, post:15, topic:28630”]You guys can do, or not do, buy or not buy, for whatever reason(s), for or against our school and its athletic programs. For me, I have and will always support the school and athletic programs with whatever resources I can afford, no matter what, but especially, during “hard” times.

Bye.[/quote]

I feel like you’re not understanding that the majority of our fans and society in general vote with dollars. I know you think your concept of blind allegiance is morally superior and will cause the change needed for us to become successful again, but it won’t. Continue financially supporting a poor product but be productive in causing change?

Here’s my letter:

Hi Judy,
I am unhappy with the state of our Men’s basketball program. I would like to see a change to the coaching staff and was hoping you would replace rather than keep Alan Major. Either way, I will still financially support this program at my current levels, still buy season tickets, and attend every game. I will still be cheering loudly, but will be unhappy on the inside.

That should light a fire under them.

[quote=“cibik02, post:22, topic:28630”][quote=“Niner National, post:20, topic:28630”][quote=“49r9r, post:18, topic:28630”]It is possible to still support the school without buying basketball tickets you do not need. There is still football, baseball, soccer, and academics.[/quote]This.

I’ll probably still get football season tickets (although I’m not really a big fan of another season playing what amounts to 11 scrimmage games). I’ll still catch a few soccer and baseball games a year. I’ll probably even go to a few basketball games, but I’m not going to spend $200 on season tickets to watch us lose to schools that the casual fan has never even heard of.

There is no fun in not being competitive. I support the school solely for entertainment and what I’ve watched this year has not been entertaining.[/quote]

If you are paying $200 and not lower level, you are paying $100+ too much. The whole upper level is a free for all. Buy the cheapest and move where ever.[/quote]

Not if he is paying $200 for 2 people. :slight_smile:

Regarding your suggestion, those upstairs mid-court seats on the front row of the student section look like pretty good seats.

[quote=“49er1, post:15, topic:28630”]You guys can do, or not do, buy or not buy, for whatever reason(s), for or against our school and its athletic programs. For me, I have and will always support the school and athletic programs with whatever resources I can afford, no matter what, but especially, during “hard” times.

Not buying tix, not attending games, not donating to the foundation is COUNTER PRODUCTIVE. It’s time to spend your money and energy elsewhere. Please go now and find something else besides Charlotte sports and this message board to make your life complete. God speed and good luck. GO NINERS, FOREVER![/quote]

The irony of this entire post is that you have told us at least 100 times that WINNING SOLVES EVERYTHING. It would solve this problem too, but for some reason you failed to mention it.

It is possible to still support the school without buying basketball tickets you do not need. There is still football, baseball, soccer, and academics.

[size=1em]The foundation doesn’t care about the little guy.

Let’s say hypothetically you were a $1000 a year giver. That’s a considerable amount to most of us here I would imagine.

Let’s say you are fed up, but want to be in the black lot so you drop that donation to $500.

You just sent a financial statement that says “My support is half what it used to be.”

Assuming the athletics budget is $10,000,000 it sees a decrease of 0.005%. Congratulations, your statement is a rounding error.

There are 25,000 students chipping in an exorbitant student fee. We’ve got half a dozen big donors. IMG is chipping in. etc. etc.

Where you make a difference is with your attendance. Halton is 9,105 seats. Now, assuming the same 50% drop in the previous example but with games attended or tickets purchased. Let’s say you go from 4 to 2.

Again, [font=verdana]You just sent a financial statement that says “My support is half what it used to be.”[/font][/size]
[size=1em][font=verdana]Except this time, athletics sees a butts in seats decrease of ~0.022%. You are almost 44X more effective by cutting your seats in half as opposed to your donation.[/font][/size]

[quote=“ninerID, post:27, topic:28630”][size=1em]The foundation doesn’t care about the little guy.

Let’s say hypothetically you were a $1000 a year giver. That’s a considerable amount to most of us here I would imagine.

Let’s say you are fed up, but want to be in the black lot so you drop that donation to $500.

You just sent a financial statement that says “My support is half what it used to be.”

Assuming the athletics budget is $10,000,000 it sees a decrease of 0.005%. Congratulations, your statement is a rounding error.

There are 25,000 students chipping in an exorbitant student fee. We’ve got half a dozen big donors. IMG is chipping in. etc. etc.

Where you make a difference is with your attendance. Halton is 9,105 seats. Now, assuming the same 50% drop in the previous example but with games attended or tickets purchased. Let’s say you go from 4 to 2.

Again, [font=verdana]You just sent a financial statement that says “My support is half what it used to be.”[/font][/size]
[size=1em][font=verdana]Except this time, athletics sees a butts in seats decrease of ~0.022%. You are almost 44X more effective by cutting your seats in half as opposed to your donation.[/font][/size][/quote]
If a $1000 donor at UNC complains, you likely get a form letter back. Thanking your support etc.

Here? They take all of them personally as an attack on their “family”. And its water cooler talk who wrote a email, and are they a nnn person…

We gotta start wearing big boy pants in terms of criticism. Your premise is right, attendance is bigger voice than your dollars, as long as that auto drip from student fees exist.

[quote=“49er1, post:15, topic:28630”]You guys can do, or not do, buy or not buy, for whatever reason(s), for or against our school and its athletic programs. For me, I have and will always support the school and athletic programs with whatever resources I can afford, no matter what, but especially, during “hard” times.

Not buying tix, not attending games, not donating to the foundation is COUNTER PRODUCTIVE. It’s time to spend your money and energy elsewhere. Please go now and find something else besides Charlotte sports and this message board to make your life complete. God speed and good luck. GO NINERS, FOREVER![/quote]

Just for giggles… How to you propose we push for change short of withholding financial support?

[quote=“ninerID, post:27, topic:28630”][size=1em]The foundation doesn’t care about the little guy.

[size=1em][font=verdana]Except this time, athletics sees a butts in seats decrease of ~0.022%. You are almost 44X more effective by cutting your seats in half as opposed to your donation.[/font][/size][/quote]

While this is true if you donate a 1000 or more you are in the upper end of of donors - which is part of the real problem with our AD. They will take note if you go from 1000 to 500. Now the overall impact as you state is def muted because of the % of students fees, but we just dont have enough donors at that scale and above so it def gets their attention.

In my book here is how it goes when you aren’t happy with product over a multi year period:

[ul][li]First you maintain level of support in tickets, donations and attendance - but you voice your displeasure[/li]
[li]You slow your attendance but maintain tickets[/li]
[li]You drop your tickets, but maintain giving[/li]
[li]You dial back giving[/li]
[li]You quit giving[/li][/ul]
The fact is if the product is bad and the leadership is bad that continued support simply encourages a continuation of those poor practices. The key is to not suddenly cut it all. The giving make a large impact on the lives of student athletes and with football we can’t afford to F it up. Dropping basketball tickets to me is the perfect way to show displeasure and if they don’t respond to that the following year you consider dialing back donations. I think I am on step 3 if Major comes back and will go from 4 tickets to 1, but maintain my level of giving.

I didn’t buy this year because my work travel was so hectic, not because of protest… I won’t buy next year if AM is the coach. Call it what you want, but I don’t have unlimited resources (sadly) and if I’m dropping money on a discretionary purchase, it will be for something that doesn’t make we want to throw up.

Using student fees is not the long term goal. The long term goal is to build the athletic foundation through donations.

I know your main point was that season tickets are more noticeable for making a statement. But losing any donor base is still very significant.

Saying using student fees isn’t the long term goal is like saying deficit spending isn’t the long term goal of the US federal government.

True as long as we have this ads vision. A new ad could have a very different point of view.

Nvmd

The same number I always buy. Because I’m a niner fan.

Yeahhh…like “America,love it or leave it”…Don’t complain no matter how bad it is.Is that REALLY loyalty?

I never said I wasn’t complaining. That wasn’t the question. The question was how many tickets would I buy if Major is retained. My support for the niners does not rise and fall with different coaches and different results. Unless we engage in institutional level cheating I am in this for the long haul. If we engage in UNC Chapel Hill style cheating then I will drop my support until the offenders are out of the picture.

I think we all have different ways and definitions of support. Buying tickets is just one way. I was pissed off we ended up in the A10 and dropped my season tickets, however I went to a ton of games just buying tickets at the window. What if someone dropped their tickets but moved that same amt over to foundation giving? Or moved funds to the academic side? Or instead of buying basketball tickets they started buying baseball ones. Simply buying fewer tickets does not make you any less supportive. I will also say this - if halton had 7000 people in it every game no matter how bad major sucks he would not be on the hot seat. The $ involved is what drives plenty of decisions- like it or not thats the truth. You have a very pure view of things and I wish it worked that way

I’m thinking of not renewing next year, not because of Major, but because they got everyone split up this year. You’re sitting with empty seats and strangers.