Huggins DUI

Don’t know if the linky thing works for me here, but I’ll try anyway.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2004/local/06/11/huggins.html

Ruh-roh!! Finally some bad news NOT about us!!!

[b]there was vomit on the driver's car door.[/b]

driving and puking. classic.

If he is not arrested then it can’t be that bad

Bobby boy, have another. I will have him re-incerted into the matrix.

Huggins looks to be in big trouble at UC. From Fox Sports:

[b]UC athletic director Bob Goin will conduct a press conference Saturday morning at 10 a.m. EDT to address the situation and will not comment on the Huggins situation until then.

Huggins met with university president Nancy Zimpher on Friday morning and appeared shaken when leaving.[/b]

FoxSports.com: Cincy’s Huggins charged with DUI

Do you hear that sound people, it’s the sound of inevitability.

ESPN-Associated Press

[b]However, the police report said Huggins was unable to perform a field sobriety test, had slurred speech, red, watery eyes and staggered out of the car after he was stopped[/b]

Maybe Huggs was party’n left handed too! :headbang: puff puff pass…cough cough :drink:

Maybe they should add another cell for the coach!

He’s gone…

It’s not safe to be a college basketball coach in the state of Ohio this week. If this report is true, there will be more fallout at UC. AD Bob Goin can’t handle many more incidents.

From WXIX, Fox 19 in Cincinnati
[b]Fox19 Sports Anchor Dan Hoard has learned that UC Head Men’s Basketball Coach Bob Huggins met with University President Dr. Nancy Zimpher Friday afternoon to discuss his future at the University.

Dr. Zimpher offered Coach Huggins two options. The first option is early retirement. The other option is to take a six-month leave of absence to seek professional help.

That six-month absence would last until mid-December, during the men’s basketball season. Therefore, Huggins’ lawyers asked the University to give Coach Huggins an indefinite leave to seek help and return after he’s sought professional help. Either way, it appears Coach Huggins would miss a portion of the regular season if he decides against early retirement.

You can hear the University’s full statement live on Fox19 Saturday morning at 10a.m.[/b]

from espn.com:

[b]ESPN.com news services CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati basketball coach Bob Huggins is facing a lengthy suspension, or possibly even dismissal, after his arrest earlier this week on a drunken driving charge following a visit with recruits.

Cincinnati WCPO-TV sports anchor Denny Janson told ESPNews on Friday that he believes Huggins already knows his fate. Huggins may be suspended for as many as six months, Janson said.

University officials, who have not commented on Huggins’ arrest, were expected to decide overnight Friday on a punishment for the coach. Athletic director Bob Goin will make an announcement at a Saturday morning news conference, ESPN.com’s Andy Katz reports.

Cincinnati spokesman Tom Hathaway told ESPN.com that it was not clear if Huggins would appear at Saturday’s news conference.

Huggins, who has no plans to resign, did apologize during a Friday night news conference. The coach, accompanied by his wife and two daughters, declined to take questions. His lawyer, Richard Katz, said he could not answer questions because of the legal issues involved.

“I made a very poor decision that’s reflected negatively on the basketball program and the university,” Huggins said, fighting tears. “For that, I deeply regret it. I take responsibility for my actions. I’m going to do my part to make sure that something like this will never happen again.”

The police report on Huggins’ arrest last Tuesday said the coach had slurred speech, with vomit on the driver’s door when he was stopped in Fairfax, a village east of Cincinnati.

He was arrested after he failed a sobriety test, police said. His wife came to pick him up from the police station.

Authorities in Fairfax released a police cruiser video showing Huggins’ field sobriety test, which police said he failed.

Huggins was scheduled to appear Friday evening in court in Fairfax, but that was postponed. Police Chief Rick Patterson said it was Huggins’ first offense. He could be fined and sentenced to three days in jail.

Huggins’ arrest is the latest black mark on a program that has been trying to get beyond a series of player arrests and NCAA rules violations in the 1990s that led to probation and a loss of basketball scholarships.

Huggins, 50, had a massive heart attack less than two years ago but didn’t miss any time coaching the team. The Bearcats went 26-7 last season, won a share of Conference USA’s regular season title and lost to Illinois in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

He was put on a diet and lost weight after the heart attack, which occurred while he was recruiting in Pennsylvania on Sept. 28, 2002. Huggins gained back some weight last season, when he said the most enduring change in his routine was that he got more sleep.

When officers pulled Huggins’ car over at 11:35 p.m. Tuesday night, he said, “Don’t do this to me,” but was cooperative, according to the report by Sgt. Jeff Bronson and two other officers.

Officers said Huggins told them he was on his way home after talking to recruits and had a “couple” of beers. He denied that he was under the influence of alcohol.

The report said Huggins was stopped because his car was straying out of its lane, and he sat at a light for 10 seconds after it turned green. Officers noticed vomit on the inside of the driver’s side door and reported a strong smell of alcohol, prompting them to administer the field sobriety test.

Huggins had slurred speech and red, watery eyes, the report said. Officers said he “staggered” out of the car and couldn’t keep his balance during the sobriety test.

Asked to recite the alphabet from the letter “E” through “P,” Huggins said, “E, F, G, H, I, K, L, N, Z,” according to the police report. Asked to count backward from 67 to 54, he counted from 62 to 52, the report said.

Officers tried to give a breathalyzer test, but Huggins couldn’t complete it, the report said.
[/b]

Does anyone have a link to the police cruiser video?

It’s on the front page at WCPO’s website.

Bob Goin gives him a “mandatory suspension” of undetermined length with no contact with the program in order to get his situation in order by staying completely away from basketball.

Huggins looks shell-shocked, but seems to be remorseful in his statements at the press conference.

I can’t believe he still has his job. That said, Huggins is a good guy I think, and I hope he can beat his addiction.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Jun 12 2004, 09:20 AM [b] Bob Goin gives him a "mandatory suspension" of undetermined length with no contact with the program in order to get his situation in order by staying completely away from basketball.

Huggins looks shell-shocked, but seems to be remorseful in his statements at the press conference. [/b]

HighPoint is that you?

[b]Asked to recite the alphabet from the letter "E" through "P," Huggins said, "E, F, G, H, I, K, L, N, Z," according to the police report. Asked to count backward from 67 to 54, he counted from 62 to 52, the report said.[/b]

I would resign just to avoid the abuse from opposing fans. Really unfortunate for him and the University. Wow.

There was a chance Huggins would have scheduled some games with us after Cincy & us part ways into different conferences. A new Cincy new coach may not want to do this (of course, I was still skeptical of Huggins returning to Halton). Huggins gave us more publicity & compliments(?) than any other opposing coach & those Cincy games were great for our program.

I wish him luck & hope he gets everything straiightened out.

Over40, his posturing about playing Charlotte after the conference shakeups was all talk. Bobby told Lane Odom & I last week that he didn’t think a Cincinnati team would ever be in Halton after this season.

I expect if he’s on the sidelines against us for the fans to be polite, but to harass him for all he’s worth. It’s fun to watch.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Jun 13 2004, 07:53 PM [b] I expect if he's on the sidelines against us for the fans to be polite [/b]
I feel sorry for the man and hope he gets help. I also have a lot of respect for him as a coach as well. He's always been the guy you love to hate and the environment at Halton for Cincy games is due largely to him. With that said, I don't expect fans to be any less abrasive than they have in the past should he coach in Halton again but personally, I don't find alcoholism a laughing matter. He made a very poor decision but most people due when they're controlled by a vice. I don't know Bobby personally so my assumptions on his drinking habits could be nothing more than speculation but if there is any merit to them, then he needs to put his health and family before a game of basketball. With that said, I'll still heckle the hell out of him at a ballgame but it won't be for driving drunk.

I’m not trying to stir things up, but there is a serious aspect to this. He told the cops that he was out drinking with a recruit’s parents… If that’s true, there may or may not be an NCAA rule against it, but from a PR standpoint, it’s just this side of Larry Eustachy…

NA, looks as though Huggy was too drunk to remember with whom he drinks with,
UC not worried about NCAA. Kyle Madsen and his parents had lunch with Huggins on campus Tuesday and the family paid for lunch, which is legal. This is a dead period, with coaches not being allowed to visit recruits off-campus. Evaluation periods are July 8-17 and July 22-31.