I can't wait for the day when...

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]You can have a college experience at Charlotte, but I wouldn’t necessarily call it a true college experience.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Why not? Does football define a “true college experience?” If that’s the case, then every college student out there is only having a true college experience between sept. and dec. of every year. The rest of the year must suck. Football would definately add to it, but it doesn’t make it. I had a true college experience, and I don’t regret going to Charlotte. I’ve also visited other campuses as well around the state and outside the state to visit their college experiences, and yeah, most were pretty cool, but some (even schools with football teams) were pretty lame.

Why not? Does football define a "true college experience?" If that's the case, then every college student out there is only having a true college experience between sept. and dec. of every year. The rest of the year must suck. Football would definately add to it, but it doesn't make it. I had a true college experience, and I don't regret going to Charlotte. I've also visited other campuses as well around the state and outside the state to visit their college experiences, and yeah, most were pretty cool, but some (even schools with football teams) were pretty lame.

I’m not saying I regret going to Charlotte either. But after having some experiences at other large public universities I can tell you IMO our students get somewhat cheated in the whole college experience.

No walkable bar scene...campus dead (in comparison to many other schools) on the weekend, obviously in part due to a lack of football...too decentralized of a student body.

On campus was dead on weekends, but around campus, from what I remember was crazy. I remember walking to bars, of course it was a long walk, but we walked. By the way, I’ll agree that now that we are getting football, there will be more bars that form around campus as well as the decentralized student body issue will change.

No [B]walkable bar scene...campus dead (in comparison to many other schools) on the weekend[/B], obviously in part due to a lack of football...too decentralized of a student body.

not even the bar scene…just the area is not a student friendly area. not seein to many people trekin down 49 to the store or down 29 to the boardwalk or down tryon to the city. the lightrail will most definitely help but football will catapult the area…eventually.

I'm not saying I regret going to Charlotte either. But after having some experiences at other large public universities I can tell you IMO our students get somewhat cheated in the whole college experience.

I can agree with that to a point, but calling what I had at Charlotte “not a true college experience,” I have a problem with that. I’m not saying there can’t be improvement, and a lot of it, but we are on our way to fixing all of that.

Don’t hate. That was cool and you all know it. Yea it was UNC but who cares, that was pretty cool. I know I’d have a blast if we did that. But idc, we already did em one better.
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXxBqwFEL9Q[/URL]

I will admit tho, I am jealous of them all knowing and singing the alma mater. We gotta get on that. Seriously.

I agree with whoever said it, if you don’t have a good college experience at Charlotte, it’s your own fault. The notion of a “true” college experience is malarkey. Truth is relative.

The student body was becoming more centralized when I was in school, but the lack of walkability in the area makes it difficult.

The dilapidation of many of the student apartment complexes around campus is going to make it harder in the future to have a centralized student body, even if the walkability is improved. On-campus housing options are going to be vital to combat this scenario.

it’s not fair to call somebodys college experience…NOT a college experience…because you dont know…and it’s not yours…it’s theirs. everybody makes their experience over X amount of years. but there are many aspects of our college experience that we honestly can not experience. itll be that much sweeter when we come back 10-20 years from now and it is the magical place we all love.

[QUOTE=SWOLE49er;368917]not even the bar scene…just the area is not a student friendly area. not seein to many people trekin down 49 to the store or down 29 to the boardwalk or down tryon to the city. the lightrail will most definitely help but football will catapult the area…eventually.[/QUOTE]light rail will do much more for the area than football. Football will keep students around campus in the fall, but light rail will spur development all down N. Tryon Street and give students a quick, safe route to downtown.

It’s all about location. Lots of schools in big cities have the “walkability” problem you guys are talking about. We’re not in a tiny city that’s all about the University. Having downtown right down the street is something we have over other schools though.

[QUOTE=49or bust;368919]

I will admit tho, I am jealous of them all knowing and singing the alma mater. We gotta get on that. Seriously.
.[/QUOTE]

I guess nobody else recalls the incessant bitching that occurred in regards to that about four years ago. Everybody and their brother was moaning about the Alma Mater not being played at BBall games…so the pepband learned it. We played it. However, how many people stuck around to sing it? Moreover, hardly anyone even stuck around to [I]listen [/I]to it. To me, that’s pretty freakin’ apathetic. TF can back me up on this…he was around for it.

Do I know it? Yes. Do I know all the words? Yes. Hopefully I can say the same for the countless people that pissed and moaned about it back then. Still, I’m not sure what’s gonna have to be done to actually get Halton involved with the Alma Mater.

It's all about location. Lots of schools in big cities have the "walkability" problem you guys are talking about. We're not in a tiny city that's all about the University. Having downtown right down the street is something we have over other schools though.

Large cities that have large public universities usually don’t have the schools located 10 miles outside of the city center.

But idc, we already did em one better. [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXxBqwFEL9Q[/URL]

Watching that video made my day. I need to have that video as an alarm each morning.

I guess nobody else recalls the incessant bitching that occurred in regards to that about four years ago. Everybody and their brother was moaning about the Alma Mater not being played at BBall games...so the pepband learned it. We played it. However, how many people stuck around to sing it? Moreover, hardly anyone even stuck around to [I]listen [/I]to it. To me, that's pretty freakin' apathetic. TF can back me up on this...he was around for it.

Do I know it? Yes. Do I know all the words? Yes. Hopefully I can say the same for the countless people that pissed and moaned about it back then. Still, I’m not sure what’s gonna have to be done to actually get Halton involved with the Alma Mater.

I wasn’t big into the school like I am now whenever this was going on. I actually remember some games where yall played it and all my friends were walking out (I think I may have stayed a few times) but I was always thinking, ‘Shouldn’t I be staying around for this?’ It’s a shame it didn’t catch on and you guys stopped. I tell you now though, with the way the student section is now and how passionate and how much bigger our group is, I’d give you my word we would get people singing it. It may take the rest of the year but eventually we would get people to catch on and stay enough that it really felt like something. I’ve already planted the seed and got like 10 of us singing the national anthem which I think is swwwweeeeeeetttt. :smiley:

Bust:

I’ll call the director this week, then, if you think you can make it happen (as I’m obviously not in the band anymore). I’m sure they’d be more than happy to work it up by conference time.

I guess nobody else recalls the incessant bitching that occurred in regards to that about four years ago. Everybody and their brother was moaning about the Alma Mater not being played at BBall games...so the pepband learned it. We played it. However, how many people stuck around to sing it? Moreover, hardly anyone even stuck around to [I]listen [/I]to it. To me, that's pretty freakin' apathetic. TF can back me up on this...he was around for it.

They should consistently place the words in different areas, to get people more familiar with it. Definitely should put them up on the screens after the game.

Bust:

I’ll call the director this week, then, if you think you can make it happen (as I’m obviously not in the band anymore). I’m sure they’d be more than happy to work it up by conference time.

That’d be awesome. My only concern would be getting people to stay afterwards this season with the cough losing and all, but that’d be it. If we still get lots of kids showing up before the game, we can get them organized quickly. For those who show up later and the alumni, we could put flyers in their seats before the game.

Just let me know when and if the band director plans to start doing it and I will plan accordingly.

I always stuck around for the alma mater.

Also, I had about as true a college experience as you can have. I spent time at UF and at Chapel Hill.

Also, that video in the original post was lame, I’m sure they had fun but I wouldn’t have participated in something like that when I was in school. I did plenty of other stupid stuff, but jumping around in a library wasn’t something I would have had fun doing. More power to anyone who likes that sort of stuff though.

[QUOTE=SWOLE49er;368878]…THIS happens at CHARLOTTE!
Don’t hate…you know this is pretty awesome. SEE BELOW:

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruEMaDZWRcs[/URL][/QUOTE]

Love whoever entered the comment “UNC is a bunch of ***s and ugly chicks.”

[QUOTE=49erDrummer;368926]I guess nobody else recalls the incessant bitching that occurred in regards to that about four years ago. Everybody and their brother was moaning about the Alma Mater not being played at BBall games…so the pepband learned it. We played it. However, how many people stuck around to sing it? Moreover, hardly anyone even stuck around to [I]listen [/I]to it. To me, that’s pretty freakin’ apathetic. TF can back me up on this…he was around for it.

Do I know it? Yes. Do I know all the words? Yes. Hopefully I can say the same for the countless people that pissed and moaned about it back then. Still, I’m not sure what’s gonna have to be done to actually get Halton involved with the Alma Mater.[/QUOTE]

Before you bitch and moan about wasting your time — the timing of playing the alma mater was piss poor.

The game ends. If its a win, we have to wait for the paper confetti to fall and the players to shake hands.

Then we have to wait through the very predictable comments from Coach Lutz.

THEN the band starts playing something.

I’m sorry I don’t know the words and don’t always recognize the music, but damn it, the song did not even exist when I graduated from UNC Charlotte.

I’m been at college sporting events with alums from other schools (in & out of North Carolina) and the playing of the Alma Mater is part of the critical path of activities on gameday. Nearly all of them get rather emotional about the playing of the song because it means something to them.

Here many of us alums never had an Alma Mater.

When I was a youth, I attended many NC State football games, at the end of the halftime performance by the band, the Alma Mater was always introduced and a bunch of people (learned much later they were alums) stood up and sang.

It is a goddamn joke, the way the Alma Mater was placed in the gameday repitrare(sp?).

The only thing that is worse, is that the song is totally ignored right now.

Somebody with some influence needs to make it an integral part of the gameday experience and make it mean something OR get rid of it. Right now, it is a waste.

ETA:

[QUOTE]Alma Mater
UNC Charlotte’s Alma Mater has deep roots in the institution’s history. It was part of an “Academic Festival March” composed for UNC Charlotte by James Helme Sutcliffe, a Charlotte composer and music critic who lived in Germany at the time. Dr. Loy Witherspoon, professor of religious studies, commissioned the March in 1965 when he learned that Charlotte College would become a campus in The University of North Carolina system. The March was first performed in 1967 at the installation of Dean W. Colvard as UNC Charlotte’s first chancellor. Afterwards, it was performed as a recessional at every Commencement during Dean W. Colvard’s time as chancellor. When UNC Charlotte founder Bonnie Cone heard the March, she said, “I can hear an alma mater in it,” referring to a hymn-like refrain. Dr. Robert Rieke, a professor of history, also heard an alma mater in it.

On a 1990 trip to Germany, Rieke visited Sutcliffe, picked up a recording of the March, and began writing words to fit the final refrain. On Christmas Eve 1991, he sent Bonnie Cone the words and music as a Christmas present to her and to the university, from which he had retired a year earlier.

Chancellor James. H. Woodward approved the composition as the university’s Alma Mater in April 1992. It was sung for the first time at the following May Commencement and has been performed at every Commencement since.[/QUOTE]

For the record, I am old, but Colvard was gone and Fretwell was the Chancellor when I graduated.