I Got Mistaken as a Tarheel :(

I was giving a presentation this week to a convention of 600 people. The announcer read my bio that stated I was a graduate of the the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and followed it by saying “that is my daughters favorite basketball team”.

This was in New Orleans, Louisiana so I will go out on a limb and say that his daughter doesn’t like the Niners.

This was a fairly intelligent man who was unable to make the distinction. We have to move to a name that is easier for people to understand. I really hope the new Chancellor pushes for a name change.

You should have announced to the crowd, “Wow, that’s great that your daughter is a Charlotte 49er fan.” Who knows, maybe we really are his daughters favorite team.

Once again-all togeather-THE UNIVERSITY OF CHARLOTTE!!!

seriously, being a Niners fan is the hot new trend in Louisiana
:smiley:

I bought a sticker for my car window that says:THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT CHARLOTTE. I am modifying it to say THE UNIVERSITY OF CHARLOTTE. This is my little way of promoting the name change.

We should picket outside of nthe legislative bulding.

The player that died was from Louisiana, so maybe there are 49er fans there.

[i]Originally posted by stonecoldken[/i]@Apr 1 2005, 02:09 PM [b]The player that died was from Louisiana, so maybe there are 49er fans there.[/b]

His name is Charles Hayward.

[i]Originally posted by Mr. Bojangles+Apr 1 2005, 03:07 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mr. Bojangles @ Apr 1 2005, 03:07 PM)
[i]Originally posted by louisiana_niner[/i]@Apr 1 2005, 11:51 AM [b] I was giving a presentation this week to a convention of 600 people. The announcer read my bio that stated I was a graduate of the the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and followed it by saying "that is my daughters favorite basketball team".

This was in New Orleans, Louisiana so I will go out on a limb and say that his daughter doesn’t like the Niners.

This was a fairly intelligent man who was unable to make the distinction. We have to move to a name that is easier for people to understand. I really hope the new Chancellor pushes for a name change. [/b]

I also travel a lot and run into the same situation as you. I usually let it go unless it comes up more than once.

I am glad to see someone else posting this, as I had this argument with others that post on this board about people (educated people) not realizing that UNCC is not the tarheels.

It is a pretty common occurance.

I was in Memphis recently, having dinner with a group and one guy was a big Indiana fan. Even after I told him I went to UNC Charlotte ( I said Charlotte slowly), he went on to say Oh Yeah the tarheels are a good team this year.

Whatever, sometimes you want to just give up.

clt demands you convey this story to chancellor debois and mayor pat.

Don’t tell Pat. Mayor McPrick never listens to constituents.
Besides, he went to Catawba College.

[i]Originally posted by BigTimeNiner+Apr 1 2005, 02:20 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (BigTimeNiner @ Apr 1 2005, 02:20 PM)
[i]Originally posted by stonecoldken[/i]@Apr 1 2005, 02:59 PM [b] Don't tell Pat. Mayor McPrick never listens to constituents. [/b]
His office sure does. I had some yard debris from that ice storm we had a couple of years ago piled up on the curb and the city jackholes refused to pick it up after repeated calls to the city. One call to the mayor's office threatening to not vote for Pat and they were out there the next day. B)

Mayor Pat suggested to give the city more national identity that the name change SHOULD happen.He is a huge supporter of this change.He was looking at it from a buisness development stand point but who cares he is a supporter.E-mail him he will respond in the positive.He just needs more backing from us.

[i]Originally posted by Mr. Bojangles[/i]@Apr 1 2005, 12:48 PM [b] I bought a sticker for my car window that says:THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT CHARLOTTE. I am modifying it to say THE UNIVERSITY OF CHARLOTTE. This is my little way of promoting the name change. [/b]
So.. it that "Queens UNIVERSITY OF CHARLOTE"? See how ridiculous this gets?

BTW: Andie McDowell’s (yes, THAT one) son will attend Queens on a b-ball scholie next year. Who knew?

If Pat will get off his duff then contact him. But be sure to mention how it benefits him.

I talked to Mayor Pat a few months ago about the name change. He, at the time was talking a little about it.

Seemed interested until I told him I lived in Asheville. He then said, “Well, I hope you’re at least a Republican.” He walked away when I told him I had too much common sense to drink either partiy’s Kool-Aid.

[b] I told him I had too much common sense to drink either partiy's Kool-Aid.[/b]

There’s more than 2 parties.

Like I said, how does it benefit Pat?