I hate yankees!

OK I am well aware that I am going to get flamed for this and rightfully so. I am about to stereotype and lump all yankees together, but I am so pissed right now I can not help it. I am at Topsail Island this week, north of Wilmington for this entire week. My family has been coming here for almost 25 years. When we first came it was mostly NC residents and the beach was pretty quiet, over the years it has gotten busier and busier, which I am ok with. Over the past I would say 7-10 years the island has become a VERY popular with NY/PA/VT/MD and other northern states. Coincidently the amount of garbage on the beach has risen to insane levels. The past 3 days when walking my dog I have gathered trash off the beach. The two houses next to us have people from the north and both groups routinely leave bottles, wrappers, fireworks, tupperware and plastic toys on the beach. I know that not all the trash is left by folks from up north and I am well aware that plenty of southerners leave trash in places, but right now I am just about livid! To make things worse, this island is a giant loggerhead sea turtle nesting habitat, so every piece of trash represents a direct danger to these animals. WHEW… just wanted to get that off my chest.

A friend of mine’s family has a house at Topsail Beach, and we’ve been going down there at least once a year ever since we graduated high school in '01. The first year we went down there, it was Memorial Day weekend and the island was virtually deserted. We went down on Memorial Day this year and, while it’s still not Myrtle by any stretch, it was way more crowded and yes, I too noticed the increased amounts of trash on the beach. They need to crack down on that big time given the turtle situation.

I think a better correlation can be made with an increase in visitors and an increase in trash. Where the people came from tends to be irrelevant. If you have a location that receives 20 southerns one year and then 200 the next, I think it’s safe to say that there will be more trash with the 200 showing up.

It would be easy to blame the litter problem in Charlotte on transplants as well but the truth is that the litter is such a problem now simply because so many more people live here.

But I respect your vent and I would probably do the same if a vacation spot of mine was overrun with people from a different part of the country.

While people have a right to go where they want, & I hate litter, it does make you wonder why people from up north come to our beach instead of their own beaches. They have beaches in MD/DE/NY/NY/CT/RI/MA/NH/ME.

I never liked you, either. :silly:

Really, though, it isn’t northerners that make places trashy. It’s just the increase in people. More people means more trash. And as soon as one person leaves trash, others start doing it too.

I don’t litter. No one that I knows litters. If you go to a city or beach in the north, you will notice that they are no different than places here. Charlotte is clean. So is Cleveland. Beaches in Erie are about as clean as the beaches in NC, give or take a dead fish or two.

While people have a right to go where they want, & I hate litter, it does make you wonder why people from up north come to our beach instead of their own beaches. They have beaches in MD/DE/NY/NY/CT/RI/MA/NH/ME.

Because it is warmer.

It is a well documented fact that only “yankees” litter. They talk funny also…and they are rude. And they cant drive either.

On the flip side…southerners tend to be racists…and are not nearly as smart as their northern and western counterparts. They never litter either.

And all Californians are gay

[QUOTE=casstommy;247793]On the flip side…southerners tend to be racists…and are not nearly as smart as their northern and western counterparts. They never litter either.[/QUOTE]

And here I was all prepared to argue about why I hate both the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox.

Lets face it folks, within a few years it will be prohibitively expensive for anyone making less the $100,000 family incomes a year to even stay at our beaches. The number of folks who want to come to our beaches are driving up the property values and forcing Middle Americans away from our public shores. :cuss:

Hell, they closed the Pavilion at Myrtle, they’re going to turn it into another over-priced hotel. That was one of the last original Myrtle Beach institutions. Might aswell go to the mountains, atleast they’re not buying them up as quickly.:pout:

It is a well documented fact that only "yankees" litter. They talk funny also...and they are rude. And they cant drive either.

On the flip side…southerners tend to be racists…and are not nearly as smart as their northern and western counterparts. They never litter either.

cass is all over it.

Hell, they closed the Pavilion at Myrtle, they're going to turn it into another over-priced hotel. That was one of the last original Myrtle Beach institutions. Might aswell go to the mountains, atleast they're not buying them up as quickly.:pout:

No, heavens no! Don’t go up to the mountains! It’s REALLY trashy up there, not pretty at all, overrun with morons, crime is higher there than any other place in the nation, drug use is rampant, and THERE ARE BEARS EVERYWHERE!!! THEY WILL TAKE YOU OUT IN A SECOND!!!

• message provided by clean land and trout-loving fishermen that frequent Western N.C and favor the isolated mountain regions.

… besides plenty of people can still go to the beach… that’s what time shares are for. They’re popping up everywhere for the average-earning citizen. Come on, people. Support your N.C. beaches. Keep going there… They’re so beautiful and scenic and look at all the great-looking bikini-clad women. Party time at the beach!!! :clap: :toast: :headbang:

It is a well documented fact that only "yankees" litter. They talk funny also...and they are rude. And they cant drive either.

Greatest post ever in the history of posting posts on posting sites of any nature!!

100% D.O.B.A.

Nominee for Post of the Year, Post of the Decade, Post of the Millinium, Humanitarian Post of All-Time, Nobel Peace Post and Maxim’s Hot 100 Posts of all-time!!

The rich are buying the mountains, too.

Yeah I know that the increased trash is more related to the sheer increase number of people and that it really does not matter where they are from. I am just tired of picking up trash and pissed off. For so many people to be so concerned about global warming and such WAY too many people are ok with littering. I was picking up people’s garbage IN FRONT OF THE PEOPLE that left it there and they looked at me like I was crazy… I guess the correct title would be I hate people that litter. It just so happens the increase of people has come mostly from the north. Atleast the outter banks are still quiet… maybe it is time to relocate the family vacation… sorry if I offended any of my northern friends out there!

The rich are buying the mountains, too.
This is why we need to tax this menace of society back into poverty.

I’ve gone to Ocean Isle (Brunswick Beaches) since the dawn of my existance and there is nothing but ****loads of people from Ohio going there, you would think you were on Lake Erie.

If you people don’t like yankees trashing the area, attend Nascar races and appreciate the tidy habits of southerners.

If you people don't like yankees trashing the area, attend Nascar races and appreciate the tidy habits of southerners.
I think the whole "dirty northerners" thing is BS, but this is pretty dumb. A nascar race is an event. People are expected to be dirty. Have you ever attended a sporting event? Wait around after everyone has left and then look at all the bleachers. They are all pretty filthy no matter what geographical area you are in. Now add more beer and take into account the fact that people may camp out the entire weekend (or even a week in some cases) for this race. The level of trash is not that crazy. Oh, and around half the NASCAR venues are outside of the south.
No, heavens no! Don't go up to the mountains! THERE ARE BEARS EVERYWHERE!!!! THEY WILL TAKE YOU OUT IN A SECOND!!!

heed his warning. leave the mountains alone

They’re always leaving their trash everywhere.

This board is honestly ridiculous sometimes. As a yankee who went to school in the South and lived there for a number of years, there is absolutely no difference in the littering habits of North vs. South.