I Support Alan Major

At this point he has to win the fans back, but if he wins and they don’t come back, they are bad fans.

At this point he has to win the fans back, but if he wins and they don’t come back, they are bad fans.[/quote]

#badfans.

I thought it was awful how empty the arena was after PRT. The arena was devoid of life and the team at that point deserved far better support than what they got.

I’d love to know what the kids that have played for him for a few years think.Don’t think I’m gonna find out though.

I swear I’d love to make the ncaa’s more than anything for the kids that are still there to feel what it’s like.Each class that graduates and never knows that feeling is more likely to produce disinterested alums who don’t see the point of donating to help support the program.

^

[quote=“lucky57, post:23, topic:28727”]I’d love to know what the kids that have played for him for a few years think.Don’t think I’m gonna find out though.

I swear I’d love to make the ncaa’s more than anything for the kids that are still there to feel what it’s like.Each class that graduates and never knows that feeling is more likely to produce disinterested alums who don’t see the point of donating to help support the program.[/quote]

Ask them. Derrio is very open about it. He still comes to games and supports the players and program and I think we all are aware of how his career ended here.

[1]

This line of reasoning lead Jim Utter to say I wanted us to lose games!

1. /quote ↩︎

You’ll probably be able to move up to the 6th row.[/quote]

Sounds good to me. I don’t view it as supporting Major and Judy or what not. I enjoy basketball, so I go to the games. Gets me away from real life for a couple of hours. Something to do.[/quote]

Same here- has nothing to do with anything other than I enjoy sports[/quote]
That sentiment is fine for 2, 3, or 100 fans like yourself. You have every right to that viewpoint. Just like some people play with Hamm radio or like college softball. Its America.

But- Relevancy does matter to the 150,000 students and alum + 24th biggest metro area. Thats how you get 9000 butts back to Halton. If we are not relevant, people making huge money (59k mo) need to be accountable.

You’ll probably be able to move up to the 6th row.[/quote]

Sounds good to me. I don’t view it as supporting Major and Judy or what not. I enjoy basketball, so I go to the games. Gets me away from real life for a couple of hours. Something to do.[/quote]

Same here- has nothing to do with anything other than I enjoy sports[/quote]
That sentiment is fine for 2, 3, or 100 fans like yourself. You have every right to that viewpoint. Just like some people play with Hamm radio or like college softball. Its America.

But- Relevancy does matter to the 150,000 students and alum + 24th biggest metro area. Thats how you get 9000 butts back to Halton. If we are not relevant, people making huge money (59k mo) need to be accountable.[/quote]

No question you are right. Without relevancy it will be me and 2500 people who feel similar to me. My personal view with baskebtall is I would go regardless. I just enjoy basketball. I don’t get caught up in the I will not support Judy or w/e. Does Major suck? He has had good and shitty moments no doubt. I put all that aside and go to the games to watch some ball. That is it. However, I am in a good situation. Make plenty of money, no kids, not really any responsibility so I can waste a couple hundred dollars. I don’t have a family to take care of. If I did, my thought process would probably change.

NinerUpNorth, I appreciate you starting this thread. While I am not happy with the results this season and I think that Major is lousy at making in-game adjustments, there are things I am happy with.

I like that we are recruiting mostly 4 year kids. For a while it seemed like we were using occasional HS recruits to fill in the gaps between our JUCOs. Player leadership on the floor and in the locker room has been a problem for a long time. I think this is probably the first year we are seeing this turn in the right direction.

I am mostly happy with C-USA. A good number of the schools are a lot like us. Up and comers. Universities in metro areas that are growing faster than the established P5 schools in their states and fighting for respect. I would rather be in a league with Middle Tennessee than St Bonaventure and I am more enthusiastic about beating UAB than St Joes. I can’t think of anyone I know in daily life that went to an A-10 school. The A-10 is a fine league but I never once went to an away game or conference tournament there. I have been to plenty in previous years and I want to care about the teams we play again. If we can move into the top three in basketball in this conference I will be having some fun again.

Football. This is a basketball thread and I am not going to derail it, but I think football is going to make basketball better. We already have better TV options than ever. Bringing basketball recruits to football games is going to be a big advantage over the past. At this point it is a little hard to say that football is “better” than basketball, but in years to come I expect there to be some rivalry between the coaches. I have seen complacency and I am for anything that keeps them pushing for more.

We will change coaches again at some point, and I would rather it be because we are winning than losing. Major is probably never going to be a media pro or engaging speaker, but he seems to be a pretty good recruiter and he has a solid approach to playing the game. If he can leverage those things into wins the rest will not matter. He is our coach again next year, so I am pulling for him.

Its very interesting how expectations have dropped considerably…yet Major makes more than Lutz and got a raise 1 yr ago.

To me ncaa hoops is mass entertainment, similar to actor pay. Lots of butts in seats to justify making people wealthy. Hence Major has earned roughly $2,000,000 gross.

But his masses arent there. Its shrinking ea yr.
Those student fees are there though.

Students are charged for the movie with no choice and its worse than a Keanu Reeves flick.

We break every supply and demand law known to economics. Enjoy the show comrades!!

For me it’s all about time. There are lots of other things that can be far more enjoyable and rewarding that what we have been seeing as of late. sports are supposed to be a release and an outlet and when sports start introducing aggravation and negative emotions thats when a person has to re-evaluate the level of involvement. I don’t get this from football because I go mainly to hang out and see friends and have a good time. Basketball is just about a game and performance.

[quote=“metro, post:30, topic:28727”]Its very interesting how expectations have dropped considerably…yet Major makes more than Lutz and got a raise 1 yr ago.

To me ncaa hoops is mass entertainment, similar to actor pay. Lots of butts in seats to justify making people wealthy. Hence Major has earned roughly $2,000,000 gross.

Students are charged for the movie with no choice and its worse than a Keanu Reeves flick.

We break every supply and demand law known to economics. Enjoy the show comrades!![/quote]
There must be 10 threads or more for bashing the status quo. Major is going to be our coach next year and some of us hope it goes well. I get that you will not give money to the program, and will not go to the games, and hope for failure, and publically trash us at every opportunity, but do you need to do it here? There is no need to step on my stupid optimism with your stupid pessimism.

For me it’s all about time. There are lots of other things that can be far more enjoyable and rewarding that what we have been seeing as of late. sports are supposed to be a release and an outlet and when sports start introducing aggravation and negative emotions thats when a person has to re-evaluate the level of involvement. I don’t get this from football because I go mainly to hang out and see friends and have a good time. Basketball is just about a game and performance.[/quote]
Boom Many times right there. I had a blast 2 football games I attended. Dont remember the gm as much as walking to see friends tents and mingle. Went home delighted. Its why Ole Miss is best football emvironment in sec.

[quote=“Nugget, post:32, topic:28727”][quote=“metro, post:30, topic:28727”]Its very interesting how expectations have dropped considerably…yet Major makes more than Lutz and got a raise 1 yr ago.

We break every supply and demand law known to economics. Enjoy the show comrades!![/quote]
There must be 10 threads or more for bashing the status quo. Major is going to be our coach next year and some of us hope it goes well. I get that you will not give money to the program, and will not go to the games, and hope for failure, and publically trash us at every opportunity, but do you need to do it here? There is no need to step on my stupid optimism with your stupid pessimism.[/quote]
Ok got it- you can post positives in the negative threads

But we cant speak in yours…,.makes perfect sense

I will promise not to post if you dont

[quote=“metro, post:35, topic:28727”][quote=“Nugget, post:32, topic:28727”][quote=“metro, post:30, topic:28727”]Its very interesting how expectations have dropped considerably…yet Major makes more than Lutz and got a raise 1 yr ago.

There must be 10 threads or more for bashing the status quo. Major is going to be our coach next year and some of us hope it goes well. I get that you will not give money to the program, and will not go to the games, and hope for failure, and publically trash us at every opportunity, but do you need to do it here? There is no need to step on my stupid optimism with your stupid pessimism.[/quote]
Ok got it- you can post positives in the negative threads

But we cant speak in yours…,.makes perfect sense

I will promise not to post if you dont[/quote]
Does it change your mind that I was going to say the same thing but I know you don’t care so I decided not to?

Seriously, does seem good to have one thread where we focus on positives. It doesn’t change the reality of the situation. We already have enough banter about how bad it is.

[/quote]

I would like to nominate this for post of the year.

[quote=“metro, post:30, topic:28727”]Its very interesting how expectations have dropped considerably…yet Major makes more than Lutz and got a raise 1 yr ago.

Not a great analogy. An actor doesn’t build off previous roles, like coaches have to do with previous years/coaches. I.e., Sandra Bullock being in a terrible movie didn’t stop her from being in an oscar winner the same year. The performance in any single role is totally separate and not attached to another role. Further, an actor doesn’t have to pick up where a previous actor left off and work within the confines of that while he recruits the costars he really wants, that fit his acting style, and have to fire half the stars because they act like Lindsay Lohan.

A coach’s years are tied together and must be built upon. A system is adopted, little to no recruiting can happen in the first year, and depth is a major issue. We are in a positive thread, so let’s just say the coach took better roles in each of his first three years, making pretty good money at the box office in his third turn; then took his second best role in his fourth year, which was profitable, but didn’t build up his acting resume, much; however, has a really awesome cast to work with in his fifth film, set to hit theatres in late 2014.

Promise, Nugget, promise. We love you, but take one for the team.

Promise, Nugget, promise. We love you, but take one for the team.[/quote]
gamer, you make me laugh. I would, but we all know it wouldn’t work. metro has some deep need to come here and do this.