I think Dubois and the BOT owes us some answers on the Richardson decision

Here are some questions I feel they should answer to provide some clarity on the decision making process:

Good article, absolutely correct.

It’s sad CHP and the BOT don’t feel the need to offer any statament about this decision.

when has phil offered any statements about any decisions?

Why is it his fault that some big donor may have been naughty or even potentially horrible? You think that stops money in the SEC? At Ohio State? They and UNCC will not give $10 million back. Some of you guys/gals keep complaining about $10 million was not enough, or the name should be removed…Nobody is taking up a petition or donor initiative to replace any substantial portion of the $10mil? Surely someone has a brilliant idea to raise $10 million? Who wants to go knocking on doors this week? Who wants to start a MeToo like movement because they are pure? Oh wait…Until then, don’t expect a system that is in the business of taking, taking and taking all the money they can, without ever giving any money back, to start because some of you are so offended on the behalf of others. Football is King, but Money is always the root.

I don’t really disagree with you in general, but FAU did return a donation from a for profit prison company for naming rights to their football stadium after public outrage. It’s rare, but not unheard of.

That fact is appreciated

I should note that there is a big difference in timing however. This all happened within the span of a few weeks at FAU. We have already cashed checks and presumably used it to help pay for the cost of the stadium.

I expressed an opinion on this topic in another thread, but as this is pretty specific thread on this topic I have a few questions.

We just raised $40 million, on our way to $49 million, for athletics. We can pay Richardson back, however something else will not get funded if we do. Something pretty big–maybe an indoor practice facility for football, or maybe an upgrade to Halton. Maybe expanding The Rich…uh, No Name Stadium.

If we simply took the name down, sent JR a check, and said “thanks, but no thanks” what happens? We know the contract has no language giving us an out for this. RIchardson is a man that made sure his statue could not be removed from BoA Stadium when he sold the team. Do you think he is going to meekly go away on our deal? I am not so sure.

If he took us to court what is our case? That an anonymous person told SI that he did bad things? Richardson has not been charged criminally, and has not been sued and lost civilly. The people that took money and signed NDAs are unlikely to come forward or testify because that could jeopardize their deal. The NFL probably will not talk, and even if they did it would be hearsay, right? Inadmissible? Richardson apparently did not talk to the NFL, so there is nothing there. If we take the name down and he sues us aren’t we likely to have to put it back up, and maybe pay his legal expenses? The case against us would not be about his behavior, but about ours–did we violate the terms of our contract. I am not sure I like our chances.

I said in my previous post that I think he did what he is accused of. If he is not charged criminally (and I have heard nothing about doing that), then his victims could sue him civilly. The remedy in civil court is money, right? Well they struck out of court settlements, and he paid them money–reportedly. From a legal perspective this is case closed, right? Is that not the definition of paying the price for your offense. If so, then does heaping other punishment on him amount to the punishment not fitting the crime?

If I know you are a lousy driver I cannot take out an insurance policy on your car hoping to get a check when you crash it. The law says I do not have an insurable interest. Is there anything that would prohibit us from exacting punishment for an offense that was not committed against us? Keep in mind that our contract does not have a morality clause. Can we just break that contract because we really, truly believe he did bad things? I don’t know.

The last thing that strikes me about this situation is the BOT meeting. I believe what happened there is they talked about this, and probably got legal advice, and unanimously decided to not vote to take his name down. So they did nothing. This is very different from voting to do something–in this case leave his name up. I think the BOT is keeping their powder dry in case things change. They are keeping their options open.

I know we have several attorneys on the board that would actually know something about this. I am just wondering and speculating, but I think our hands seem to be tied.

Just my opinion, but I don’t think Richardson would make a scene out of it if we gave his money back. I’m sure he’d like his name to disappear from the news at this point and suing a public institution would be front and center nationally any time a development occurred.

1 Like

Nugget is knowledgeable. Should we also take Washington, Jefferson and Jackson off our currency? Those dudes did some very bad things, but to many, they also did far more good than bad. You might be surprised which one of those presidents I believe, based on real evidence, was the biggest scoundrel…regardless, the point is that none of us deserve our name on the stadium. However, many of us have our names under Matthew Stafford. Should we not also investigate the closets of all those names under Georgia Bulldog and Detroit Lyin Matthew Stafford? My wife’s name is on there too, and she has been really mean to me before, so…Actually, she is a saint. She doesn’t pretend to be one though. Those other types are the ones that all should keep in check; those that preach purity and utopia the most.

10 million total, counting field, was a trash amount from the beginning. This was our way out and we chose not to. It’s that simple.

Whatever. How much cash are you willing to put down to get your way ?

Sounds like this was not our way out because the contract doesn’t allow it. I wonder if it would be possible for Mike Hill or Dubois to meet with JR & discuss a way out that would be acceptable to everyone. This may have already happened with no success but if not he may be willing to negotiate something without a legal fight. What does he really gain at this point by having his name on our stadium? He has no other real ties to the University.

Fan Vs Supporter argument. Hello Judy!

Are you a moron? Did you ever get your convergence tv to work out?

mo¡ron

1. a stupid person.

synonyms: fool, idiot, ass, blockhead, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, imbecile, cretin, dullard, simpleton, clod;

informal nitwit, halfwit, dope, ninny, nincompoop, chump, dimwit, dingbat, dipstick, goober, coot, goon, dumbo, dummy, ditz, dumdum, fathead, numbskull, numbnuts, dunderhead, thickhead, airhead, butthead, flake, lamer, lamebrain, zombie, nerd, peabrain, birdbrain, scissorbill, jughead, mouth-breather, jerk, donkey, twit, goat, dork, twerp, hoser, schmuck, bozo, boob, turkey, schlep, chowderhead, dumbhead, goofball, goof, goofus, galoot, lummox, knuckle-dragger, klutz, putz, schlemiel, sap, meatball, dumb cluck, mook

Sorry brah.

He does have ties to the University. His grandson is currently our Tight Ends coach and has been on staff since 2012.

Ok. Will not have ties to the University after this football season.

Quite probable.

Seems like the students want some answers too: