If Bobby leaves?

[quote=ā€œMKNiner, post:5, topic:22704ā€]Even though itā€™s probably academic right now here are the top 5 candidates Iā€™d like to see us go after.

Brad Stevens - Butler. Took them to the conference championship and a 27-4 record this year
Ben Jacobson - Northern Iowa - 28-4, back to back conference titles, MVC coach of the year last year
Blaine Taylor - ODU - 25-8, tourney bound, handed us are butts this year
Gregg Marshall - Wichita St. - 25-9. Marshall has gotten them better every year. Might like to come back to the area
Steve Wojo - Asst. Head Coach (Duke) - no head coaching experience but heā€™s been with K for 10 years. That alone makes him a candidate IMO.

Again, I think itā€™s academic to talk about this, but these are the guys I think we could get and who would do well for us. Granted Stevens, Jacobson and Wojo would probably be picked away from us for a bigger school the quickest should they be successful.[/quote]

While I think Bobby goes no where, thatā€™s one of the best list I have seen of coaches we should go after. I like it!

Letā€™s get Rick Lewis to coach. He has coached the top talent in the country for his very sucessful AAU teams. He is also Tyler and Colbeyā€™s father. I bet he could bring a ā€œFab 5ā€ and a final four to Charlotte within3 years.

Letā€™s get Rick Lewis to coach. He has coached the top talent in the country for his very sucessful AAU teams. He is also Tyler and Colbeyā€™s father. I bet he could bring a ā€œFab 5ā€ and a final four to Charlotte within3 years. His style of offense would certainly be exciting. He obviously knows how to develop players.

[quote=ā€œswitchfoot, post:21, topic:22704ā€][quote=ā€œMKNiner, post:5, topic:22704ā€]Even though itā€™s probably academic right now here are the top 5 candidates Iā€™d like to see us go after.

Brad Stevens - Butler. Took them to the conference championship and a 27-4 record this year
Ben Jacobson - Northern Iowa - 28-4, back to back conference titles, MVC coach of the year last year
Gregg Marshall - Wichita St. - 25-9. Marshall has gotten them better every year. Might like to come back to the area
Steve Wojo - Asst. Head Coach (Duke) - no head coaching experience but heā€™s been with K for 10 years. That alone makes him a candidate IMO.

Again, I think itā€™s academic to talk about this, but these are the guys I think we could get and who would do well for us. Granted Stevens, Jacobson and Wojo would probably be picked away from us for a bigger school the quickest should they be successful.[/quote]

While I think Bobby goes no where, thatā€™s one of the best list I have seen of coaches we should go after. I like it![/quote]

Stevens & Jacobson are Big 10 or Big 12 locks.

Blaine Taylor is no spring chicken and he has done a decent job, but not great job at ODU.

Marshall is intriguing, but Wichita State isnā€™t a bad gig, he could land a Big 12 job after a couple more successful seasons.

Iā€™m not sold on any Duke assistant, especially a mini me like our current coach.

As much as I hate the Tarholes, what about Phil Ford? I know he would love to be a head coach at either the major college or professional level. I donā€™t know if the money would be a problem. He is already here in Charlotte, so he wouldnā€™t have to be uprooted.

The only assistants I donā€™t want are any off of Calā€™s or Huggins staff. The rest - if they can win and come from a winner I am ok with it.

What am I missing here? Jerry Dunn, Rob Lanier, and Quin Snyder? Might as well add Ernie Kent and Norm Roberts to your wish list as they will be available too!

We did the retread thing once before and that was a disaster. Not saying someone doesnā€™t deserver a second chance, but I really think we could do better whenever the time comes to replace Lutz.

BTW, Blaine Taylor is only 51, while Gregg Marshall is 47. Not much of a age difference there. Geez!

There is a young assistant at Kansas State that has ties here. I hear he is a good recruiterā€¦

:smiley:

[quote=ā€œMr. Bojangles, post:28, topic:22704ā€]There is a young assistant at Kansas State that has ties here. I hear he is a good recruiterā€¦

:D[/quote]

Shut ya mouth

[quote=ā€œCharlotte2002, post:24, topic:22704ā€][quote=ā€œswitchfoot, post:21, topic:22704ā€][quote=ā€œMKNiner, post:5, topic:22704ā€]Even though itā€™s probably academic right now here are the top 5 candidates Iā€™d like to see us go after.

While I think Bobby goes no where, thatā€™s one of the best list I have seen of coaches we should go after. I like it![/quote]

Blaine Taylor is no spring chicken and he has done a decent job, but not great job at ODU.

Marshall is intriguing, but Wichita State isnā€™t a bad gig, he could land a Big 12 job after a couple more successful seasons.

Iā€™m not sold on any Duke assistant, especially a mini me like our current coach.[/quote]

Since you disagree with every coach MK mentioned, who would you like to see here IF and when Bobby leaves?

There is a huge dynamic at play if this ever goes down. Judy is going to be real cautious to bring in a BCS type asst. Why?? First thing he is going to say is ā€œI need this, this, and this.ā€. And will say ā€œthatā€™s not how we do it hereā€ and then the guy is frustrated 1 year into it.

if and when we ever pursue someone, he will be young, cheap and a non bcs guy- that way he wonā€™t recognize the Mickey Mouse bs. Or it would be a Kummer, Moss, etc who already knows our Mickey Mouse side- like Lutz knew coming in. Take it fwiw.

Weā€™re not going to bring in a Lutz assistant if Bobby is quit/fired.

I know he would be a hired gun and prob only here for a short time, but iā€™m surprised no one brought up Marshallā€™s coach, Jones, I think, who was an asst at Florida. He can recruit like crazy at the very list. I mean, he steals players from us, and gets NBA prospects to go to Huntington, WV!

[quote=ā€œswitchfoot, post:30, topic:22704ā€][quote=ā€œCharlotte2002, post:24, topic:22704ā€][quote=ā€œswitchfoot, post:21, topic:22704ā€][quote=ā€œMKNiner, post:5, topic:22704ā€]Even though itā€™s probably academic right now here are the top 5 candidates Iā€™d like to see us go after.

Iā€™m not sold on any Duke assistant, especially a mini me like our current coach.[/quote]

Since you disagree with every coach MK mentioned, who would you like to see here IF and when Bobby leaves?[/quote]

I posted it earlier in the thread. Steve Donahue of Cornell.

[quote=ā€œIron9er, post:33, topic:22704ā€]I know he would be a hired gun and prob only here for a short time, but iā€™m surprised no one brought up Marshallā€™s coach, Jones, I think, who was an asst at Florida. He can recruit like crazy at the very list. I mean, he steals players from us, and gets NBA prospects to go to Huntington, WV![/quote]He would def be worth a look. I agree, heā€™s getting talent there somehow.

Marshall to Charlotte could be viewed as a lateral move. Getting the current successful Ivy League coach seems to work wonders in the A-10. Unfortunately, by the time weā€™re ready to hire, heā€™ll have LaSalle whipping our asses.

Larry Eustachy

Party time!!!

[quote=ā€œmetro, post:31, topic:22704ā€]There is a huge dynamic at play if this ever goes down. Judy is going to be real cautious to bring in a BCS type asst. Why?? First thing he is going to say is ā€œI need this, this, and this.ā€. And will say ā€œthatā€™s not how we do it hereā€ and then the guy is frustrated 1 year into it.

if and when we ever pursue someone, he will be young, cheap and a non bcs guy- that way he wonā€™t recognize the Mickey Mouse bs. Or it would be a Kummer, Moss, etc who already knows our Mickey Mouse side- like Lutz knew coming in. Take it fwiw.[/quote]

If we fire Lutz, only to replace him with one of his assistants, I will be done.

On the subject of Bobbyā€™s coachingā€¦and futureā€¦I want to ask a serious,not sarcastic question: What do you think the team spends(spent) most of itā€™s practice time working on ?
I ask this because after a season of watching us we seem so lacking in basics and as I watch hundreds of other college games,between not only the elite,but teams like Wofford,Butler,etcā€¦we really do look like we are a high school program.
We donā€™t: 1) Know how to inbounds the ball,let alone run a decent inbounds play
2)Have virtually any movement on offenseā€¦mostly just Dijuan standing at the top of the key and 4 guys either standing around passively or looking over at the coach quizzically.
3)Play virtually any decent defenseā€¦again,I often see us get back on D and than 5 guys looking over at the bench with puzzled looks.
4)Box out on Defense.Can anyone who has watched all or most of our games this year say that we were good at this fundamental part of the game.
Hey,iā€™m frustrated,no doubt,but at least I care enough to ask the questionsā€¦maybe thatā€™s the last step before apathy.
p.s.I forgotā€¦Is there a team that is worse at setting picks than us? Always looks like our guys are enbarrassed to set them.