IF I HEAR NCSU IS THE HOTTER TEAM ONE MORE TIME...

They just donā€™t know Seth Greenburg, guys. Had they been associated with him as long as we have, theyā€™d understand beating a Greenburg coached team is not a big deal.

Maybe someday heā€™ll sniff the NCAA tournament. Probably not.

What do you get when you put engineering and agriculture programs together in one school.

A well oiled machine that sucks twice as much.

I donā€™t think State can ā€œwinā€ this game, but I do think Charlotte can lose it. This is the most talented charlotte group since iā€™ve been following them probably, state is lucky to be in tourney with a pitiful OOC schedule. Charlotte is more talented team, better overall season, better coach and has something to prove, at same time State does play slow-down-ugly ball that could cause a problem and are on a mini-roll right now. Iā€™m banking on basden keeping Hodge under his avergage and Plav hitting atleast 4-9 from 3ball land. and I think Withers will man handle them down low assuming no foul trouble. If we bring our game and they bring theirs we should win by 5+

hahaha

if you dont think State can ā€˜winā€™ this game youre sorely delusional about college basketball.

:rolleyes:

Yeah -

State beating Wake with no Chris Paul is kind-of like Santa Clara beating UNC Chapel hill with no Raymondā€¦

GO NINERS!

[i]Originally posted by NinerMac[/i]@Mar 17 2005, 01:09 PM [b] I say this because if Wake and State are at full strength on a neutral court, I feel they beat you guys much more often than not. [/b]
So Wake and NCSU are equals now. What????

Are you serious?

Until tomorrow there is no ā€˜more often than not.ā€™ Tomorrow will be only the second time 49ers and NCSU have played in recent historyā€¦so if 49ers win - it is the 49ers ā€˜more often than notā€™ ā€“ or actually ā€˜all the timeā€™ ā€” if NCSU wins its a ā€˜push.ā€™

Wake is good - way better than NCSU - so I have nothing there.

[i]Originally posted by LokkenNCSU[/i]@Mar 17 2005, 03:52 PM [b] hahaha

if you dont think State can ā€˜winā€™ this game youre sorely delusional about college basketball.

:rolleyes: [/b]

I guess they really donā€™t teach reading comprehension at moo U

let me summarize, charlotte is the better team, more talentedā€¦if they play a good game, and State plays a good game Charlotte should win easily(5+). what can help state, is IF(and it could happen) Charlotte plays like they have in last few games State has excellent chance.

in other words, i dont think state can win on their own merits alone. they need the niners to not bring it.

[i]Originally posted by LokkenNCSU[/i]@Mar 17 2005, 11:26 AM [b]yadda yadda 'chris paulless wake'

how bout a bethel and collins less NCSU team that still trounced them. What if their starting center was out as well, it would have been embarrasing for them.

We swept GTech, Swept Maryland (who swept Duke), beat the snot out of VTech (who also beat duke and was a bubble team), and played UNC, DUKE, and WAKE down to the final minutes in our last stretch.

You guys are on a 3 game losing streak after going undefeated last month.

get over yourselves, NCSU is the hotter team. Still gonna be a good game.[/b]

Iā€™ll agree that Stateā€™s been playing well as of late, and yes, they do have the better record over the last three games (2-1 vs. 0-3). That canā€™t be argued, but you also canā€™t argue against the fact that Charlotteā€™s record over the past 10 games (7-3) is better than Stateā€™s (6-4), or that Charlotteā€™s record over its last 12 (8-4) is better than Stateā€™s (6-6). We could go through this all day long, but it doesnā€™t matter.

State lost four in a row mid-season before beating Georgia Tech, who had only lost to Gonzaga, Kansas, and UNC until then. The very next game, however, State lost to Virginia Tech. Then they beat Maryland. Then they lost at home to Florida State, but followed that up with a road win at Clemson. Then came three straight losses, including a home loss to Virginia, before Georgia Tech and Maryland again stopped the bleeding.

State has been incredibly inconsistent this season, and some of that can be blamed on the injuries theyā€™ve had to deal with. However, not everything can be blamed upon injuries or illnesses. Collins and Bethel both played against St. Johnā€™s, and that game was quite possibly one of the worst in recent history for the Wolfpack. I know Bethel had been sick then, but thereā€™s no excuse for a Divsion 1 basketball team, especially one that was ranked in the top 25 (and I believe almost the top 15) at the time, scoring only 10 points in a half. Wake managed more than that without Chris Paul, Georgia Tech managed more than that while BJ Elder was out, surely State couldā€™ve managed more than that with Bethel not quite at 100%.

Iā€™m sure the selection committee considered the fact that State was hampered by injuries all season, but State was still fortunate to get in. Their RPI was the lowest of the at-large bids, and although it wouldā€™ve been higher under the old formula (53 as opposed to 65, according to kenpom.com), thatā€™s still not lock status. Marylandā€™s RPI was 57 (45 with the old formula), and they didnā€™t make it in. Indianaā€™s was 61 (48 with the old formula), and they didnā€™t make it in. Neither did #68 Arizona State, #69 Miami, #72 Missouri, #73 Notre Dame, or #74 Vanderbilt, all of whom had RPIs that were ā€œhurtā€ by the new formula (Arizona State wouldā€™ve been 50, Miami 51, Missouri 46, Notre Dame 59, and Vanderbilt 55). Considering where State is under the current RPI, and where theyā€™d be under the old one, they were squarely on the bubble.

Virginia Tech, however, was not. The Hokies finished with an RPI of 112, only 8 positions worse than they wouldā€™ve been under the old RPI. New Mexico currently holds the record for the team with the worst RPI to get an at-large bid, with an RPI of 74. Say what you want, but the committee proved that the RPI does still mean something, as they didnā€™t give at large-bids to any teams with an RPI worse than 65, and only three at-large bids went to teams with an RPI worse than 42 (#49 UAB, #63 Iowa State, and #65 NC State). Virginia Tech was considered a bubble team for a while, but the selection committee was not about to obliterate the previous record to let in a team with a .500 conference record, who got demolished in the opening round of their tournament, and who had an out-of-conference loss to VMI (#316 in the RPI).

People always bring up the fact that Virginia Tech beat Duke (by 2), but the one thing everyone curiously seems to forget is that Duke slaughtered Virginia Tech by 35 in Cameron. Beating Duke once is not enough to get in the tournament. Ask Maryland. Heck, ask Maryland where beating Duke twice gets you. Honestly, Memphis was closer to being a bubble team than Virginia Tech, as their RPI was ever-so-slightly higher, as was their strength of schedule. Add in their 17-point win at Louisville, and the fact that they lost to the Cardinals by one point in the conference tournament final (not by 19 in the opening round, like Virginia Tech), and I donā€™t think itā€™s a stretch to say that Memphis had a better chance of getting in. But unless youā€™re a Memphis fan, you knew the Tigers had no shot at making it.

Also, I donā€™t necessarily agree that State would have beaten Wake with Chris Paul if both Collins and Bethel had played. I also donā€™t think itā€™s a valid argument to say that State was at more of a disadvantage than Wake, and that it wouldā€™ve been interesting to see how things went if Eric Williams didnā€™t play. As of now, Eric Williams and Chris Paul are superior players to Jordan Collins and Tony Bethel. Take either of them away, and Wake loses an outstanding player. With either on the bench, things sway heavily for the opposing team.

However, I also disagree that State couldnā€™t have won if Chris Paul had played. State had Wakeā€™s number in their last game of the regular season, and wouldā€™ve won if they had hit a mere 12-22 (just 54.5%) from the free throw line in that game. I was at that game, and I couldnā€™t believe the free-throw shooting. It was like watching the Charlotte-Rutgers game all over again. Honestly though, the Niners got their first-ever win at Saint Louis when the Billikens played without their leading scorer, and all of us have been pretty content with that win, regardless of who was playing, so I donā€™t really know why this part of the argument has dragged on as long as it has.

No one has any idea how tomorrowā€™s game will go. Both teams have laid their share of eggs this season, and both have come up with some pretty decent wins. It pretty much depends on which State team shows up tomorrow, and which Charlotte team shows up. Personally, Iā€™m hoping itā€™s Stateā€™s team from December against Charlotteā€™s team from February, but who knows.

[i]Originally posted by NinerOne[/i]@Mar 17 2005, 03:48 PM [b]I don't think State can "win" this game, but I do think Charlotte can lose it. [/b]
I think it is the other way around. State is really good when their back door cuts are working and their threes are falling. Earlier this season, State was cold with their game and lost to a lot of crappy teams. They have been much hotter lately and credit must be given to them for only losing to Duke, Carolina, and Wake in their last 9 games. Forget all of the ACC overratedness. These three teams are very good.
State has been playing well with their sleep inducing offense. Jordan Collins and Tony Bethel combined are not as good as Chris Paul, but it's definitely a legitimate comparison. Even though State's offense doesn't rely heavily on a PG, it is still significant as well as State's top big man (Collins) who is deadly from three (could possibly torch Iti if he plays) as well as brackman.

I don't reject the other niner's opinions on here, but I just want to offer a bit more moderate opinion on this. This game could be a blowout by either team or anything in between. 

I will steal my prediction from a pack fan who has posted on here who said State will be up all game with a ~20 pt. lead until 5 min remaining and then Herb will find a way to hand the game to the niners.

Niners by 7.

Dear Lee Fowler,

Kick Herb to the Herb!

signed,
People for decently played college baskebtall

Looks like the mocs are doing something NCSU couldnā€™t, come out strong against WFU with Paul.

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Mar 17 2005, 01:23 PM [b] They just don't know Seth Greenburg, guys. Had they been associated with him as long as we have, they'd understand beating a Greenburg coached team is not a big deal.

Maybe someday heā€™ll sniff the NCAA tournament. Probably not. [/b]

[QUOTE]They just donā€™t know Seth Greenburg, guys. Had they been associated with him as long as we have, theyā€™d understand beating a Greenburg coached team is not a big deal.

Seth has turned dramatic losing into an art. After they gave up 5 points to Clemson in the last 15 seconds, my buddy from Va Tech called me and said ā€œSo thatā€™s what you were talking about when you said ā€˜no one finds ways to lose better than Sethā€™ā€

That was textbook Seth.

As for this game tomorrow, if we run and keep the game up tempo, we win by 15.

If they set the pace and slow it down (ala SLU, ECU) and it gets sloppy, then itā€™s advantage State.

I think itā€™s that simple.

Tintin

After reading the silly arguments from the so called ā€œpackā€ fans. It kinds of reminded me of the mempiss board. I knew why I didnā€™t care to register to post on their board. [SIZE=4]Go Niners ! ! ![/SIZE] letā€™s send the pack packinā€™.