I'll be the one to say it. Good job Judy

Lutz is going on the radio this morning at 9. Will be interesting to see what he has to say.

didn’t we have a freakout and start scheduling D2/D3 teams over a 1.5 million dollar loss per year in TV revenue?
didn’t we just raise student fees ~$25 a student a year ago?

Ran the program in the ground? This generally discredits anything else you had to say. Price was lucky to have the success that he did have with what players he was left with. [/quote]

Yes, this is exactly why Price was so awful. Because Major left him nothing.

Hey guys, we found out why Price’s best year was his first year. It was because he was left with nothing.

In fact, that’s also why his teams get worse every single year!

Ran the program in the ground? This generally discredits anything else you had to say. Price was lucky to have the success that he did have with what players he was left with. [/quote]

Yes, this is exactly why Price was so awful. Because Major left him nothing.

Hey guys, we found out why Price’s best year was his first year. It was because he was left with nothing.

In fact, that’s also why his teams get worse every single year![/quote]

He was in fact left without much of anything and the players he brought in are the reason they won the games they did his first year. Besides Braxton name one player left in the first year that contributed to anything major to the team in Price’s first year?

You are correct his record did get worse but not because he was left with an outstanding program to begin with. If you want to say he did nothing to improve things then fine but to try to lay the blame on him for the programs downfall is inaccurate.

Yes, good job Judy, but she was only trying to save herself. Everything she said about Price applied to Lambert, & she retained him.

Firing Price, or even Lambert for that matter, would be like getting your tires rotated on a car with a blown engine. Whoever the next coach will be here has no chance of being successful under current leadership. The deck and the entire fanbase is stacked against them.

She doesn’t get credit for this decision. Most everyone familiar with the program agrees that it needed to happen. But the timing is sketchy at best. She swung for the fences on this hire (and if you believe the rumors it wasn’t even her decision) and it seems to have blown up in her face. And instead of giving Price a full third season to see if he can turn things around she fires him mid season. Conveniently right around the time people are calling for her job for not holding her staff accountable.

The very least they need to do to make sure they stop the bleeding to to make very clear, public standards for their coaches, especially in the two major sports. You can’t keep the worst FBS coach who now has 5 years on the job and fire a former nba allstar who has a better record than the football coach and less time to build. It screams that you make these decisions based on how you feel instead of the facts in front of you.

The best decision would be to fire Judy. If one of these two are not done, I probably will not renew football season tickets and walk away from my FSLs.

No way Judy gets a pat on the back for this. Looking at this from a 30,000 foot view, Mark Price is beloved by many fans between his GT and Cleveland days, was liked around the NBA and was enough of a name nationally that it made a bit of a splash when he was hired.

Once you add in that he was only into his 3rd season, and while it was clear to most of us he was turning out to be a bad coach, it’s the AD’s job to ensure whatever decision is made, it doesn’t blow up in our faces and make us look even worse. That’s what happened here. Price was not going to be our long-term answer, but Judy put the programs total dysfunction on full display.

When you have national pundits making claims of “stunned” and “sickened” after a decision, you haven’t helped your cause. Firing him the way she did will not help us get better any sooner. It only helped us lose more ground, and probably what little, respect we had left among those in the college basketball community. Not to mention, its gonna take a desperate soul to want to be the next head coach under Judy (much like the coordinator positions under Lambert).

[quote=“dmastinsc, post:28, topic:31271”]No way Judy gets a pat on the back for this. Looking at this from a 30,000 foot view, Mark Price is beloved by many fans between his GT and Cleveland days, was liked around the NBA and was enough of a name nationally that it made a bit of a splash when he was hired.

Once you add in that he was only into his 3rd season, and while it was clear to most of us he was turning out to be a bad coach, it’s the AD’s job to ensure whatever decision is made, it doesn’t blow up in our faces and make us look even worse. That’s what happened here. Price was not going to be our long-term answer, but Judy put the programs total dysfunction on full display.

When you have national pundits making claims of “stunned” and “sickened” after a decision, you haven’t helped your cause. Firing him the way she did will not help us get better any sooner. It only helped us lose more ground, and probably what little, respect we had left among those in the college basketball community. Not to mention, its gonna take a desperate soul to want to be the next head coach under Judy (much like the coordinator positions under Lambert).[/quote]

100% agree with this. The firing mid-season is the main issue and just a bad look all around. It the same thing you see with bad desperate teams in professional sports owners who want to take criticism for their failures and place it on others. The Browns are a prime example of this…

[quote=“winsel1081, post:29, topic:31271”][quote=“dmastinsc, post:28, topic:31271”]No way Judy gets a pat on the back for this. Looking at this from a 30,000 foot view, Mark Price is beloved by many fans between his GT and Cleveland days, was liked around the NBA and was enough of a name nationally that it made a bit of a splash when he was hired.

When you have national pundits making claims of “stunned” and “sickened” after a decision, you haven’t helped your cause. Firing him the way she did will not help us get better any sooner. It only helped us lose more ground, and probably what little, respect we had left among those in the college basketball community. Not to mention, its gonna take a desperate soul to want to be the next head coach under Judy (much like the coordinator positions under Lambert).[/quote]

100% agree with this. The firing mid-season is the main issue and just a bad look all around. It the same thing you see with bad desperate teams in professional sports owners who want to take criticism for their failures and place it on others. The Browns are a prime example of this…[/quote]
Judy Rose definitely does not deserve a pat on the back for this. But for the record we are historically bad and should be desperate.

[quote=“winsel1081, post:24, topic:31271”]He was in fact left without much of anything and the players he brought in are the reason they won the games they did his first year. Besides Braxton name one player left in the first year that contributed to anything major to the team in Price’s first year?

You are correct his record did get worse but not because he was left with an outstanding program to begin with. If you want to say he did nothing to improve things then fine but to try to lay the blame on him for the programs downfall is inaccurate.[/quote]

Several points here:

1. I did not blame him for the program’s downfall.

Someone else said he ran the program into the ground. I think that person meant that Price made it worse than we already were. If they want to clarify that they thought that Major was doing ok and then Price ruined it, then yes, by all means that would be a crazy statement.

1. Your comments imply that his results here were because he was left with nothing. That is what I was disputing.

If you want to clarify your position, go ahead. I’m sure you probably don’t actually mean that. Maybe you mean that it contributed to his lack of success here. But, I am not even sure I would buy that and the reason for that is because his teams have gotten worse every single season.

If your 2nd season is worse than your first, and your 3rd season is worse than the 2nd you can’t blame that on the previous coach, the AD, or anyone else. If you want to blame Judy for hiring Price then go ahead, but the fact that we kept getting worse was all on the HC.

I’ll say it also Good job Judy…Price was a horrible coach and had no busy in college basketball.
If he wasn’t a great player he would have never got this job and his firing would have went unnoticed
by everyone expect the fans on this board.

Don’t tell me he was left nothing. Price inherited a very good roster when he was name the head
coach. The fact that no one wanted to stay and play for him says a lot about Price. You tell me
he couldn’t convince the kids that he could build on the little success that they had the year before.
And he couldn’t keep a top notch recruit. Look at NC State they hired a new coach and none of their
players ran out of town. The same happens at other programs that hire new coaches. One or two may
leave but not a whole roster.

[quote=“ninerrbl, post:32, topic:31271”]I’ll say it also Good job Judy…Price was a horrible coach and had no busy in college basketball.
If he wasn’t a great player he would have never got this job and his firing would have went unnoticed

Don’t tell me he was left nothing. Price inherited a very good roster when he was name the head
coach. The fact that no one wanted to stay and play for him says a lot about Price. You tell me
he couldn’t convince the kids that he could build on the little success that they had the year before.
And he couldn’t keep a top notch recruit. Look at NC State they hired a new coach and none of their
players ran out of town. The same happens at other programs that hire new coaches. One or two may
leave but not a whole roster.[/quote]

I don’t think anyone on this board has an issue with changing coaches. I think the discussion is doing it mid season vs waiting until the end of the year. I think we are all in agreement Price wasn’t cut out to be a college head coach.

As far as roster turnover - Major would have lost most of his team had Judy allowed it. With Price he basically lost Woods and Dorn. Thorne was leaving anyway and we were losing some seniors. Most recruits walk when the staff leaves. So really it was just those two players and Clayton, but most reports had him leaving Price or no Price.

I don’t put roster turnover on the incoming coach if the AD allows them to leave. Now I do have a big issue with motivation, recruiting and in game coaching. Those were below par and were places where I think Price failed.

[quote=“ninerrbl, post:32, topic:31271”]I’ll say it also Good job Judy…Price was a horrible coach and had no busy in college basketball.

leave but not a whole roster.[/quote]

Calling someone horrible after only 2+ years on the job is an exaggeration. I don’t expect our next coach to retain players or win a lot of games right out of the gate. The cupboards will be bare again.

Price needed to go now. He was on track for a 9 win season. Fire him now give Fancher an honest chance and be first dibs for next year.

in other 49er Coaching news, former coach that is.

Did you see where Jeremy Gunn won his 3rd NCAA championship in a row!!! last week @ Stanford…

Who does that?? is he the best coach in the ncaa’s 1) Gunn 2) Saban ??? :smiley:

[quote=“amnesiac, post:36, topic:31271”]in other 49er Coaching news, former coach that is.

Did you see where Jeremy Gunn won his 3rd NCAA championship in a row!!! last week @ Stanford…

Who does that?? is he the best coach in the ncaa’s 1) Gunn 2) Saban ??? :D[/quote]half the ncaa doesnt play soccer, its why usc is in cusa. moves needle 0.0 on macro scale

[quote=“punchdrunk, post:37, topic:31271”][quote=“amnesiac, post:36, topic:31271”]in other 49er Coaching news, former coach that is.

Who does that?? is he the best coach in the ncaa’s 1) Gunn 2) Saban ??? :D[/quote]half the ncaa doesnt play soccer, its why usc is in cusa. moves needle 0.0 on macro scale[/quote]
Softball doesn’t move it either.

[quote=“sportsman1417, post:38, topic:31271”][quote=“punchdrunk, post:37, topic:31271”][quote=“amnesiac, post:36, topic:31271”]in other 49er Coaching news, former coach that is.

Who does that?? is he the best coach in the ncaa’s 1) Gunn 2) Saban ??? :D[/quote]half the ncaa doesnt play soccer, its why usc is in cusa. moves needle 0.0 on macro scale[/quote]
Softball doesn’t move it either.[/quote]

nobody made that argument. However ncaa softball WCWS games are on the ESPN mothership and draw 1.5 million-1.7 million viewers per game. Would be nice if we at least tried at that sport also.

[size=14px][font=proxnov-sbold]Fourteen million four hundred forty three thousand two hundred minutes.[/font][/size]
[size=14px][font=proxnov-sbold]Fourteen million four hundred forty three thousand two hundred moments so dear.[/font][/size]
[size=14px][font=proxnov-sbold]Fourteen million four hundred forty three thousand two hundred minutes.[/font][/size]
[size=14px][font=proxnov-sbold]How do you measure,[/font][/size]
[size=14px][font=proxnov-sbold]Measure a Judy’s career?[/font][/size]