Im comin

Hey All

As some of you are aware im a big fan from down under. Perth, Australia to be exact. Anyway iv’e been wanting to come to the states for at least 3 years now. Mainly to see a 49ers game in Halton arena and a Panthers game.
Iv’e decided that this is the year that im coming to the States to check out everything. If I dont do it this year then it probably will never happen.
Im going to meet my cousin (who is a big bball fan too) in early december. We want to check out all there is to see and will be over for about a month. Im just praying too god there is a good game at Halton around early to mid december. That way i can plan the trip around that. Also if the 49ers are playing any away games that i might be near im there.
I know a little about america and what sites and cities i should see. What i was planing to do is start my trip in New York. Then travel down to Charlotte obviously. Wouldn’t mind seeing Virginia and Boston too. Then i want to finish the east coast in Florida and then fly over too the west. Where i would like too see San Fransisco, Hollywood and then spend new years eve in Vegas.

Like i said im just getting some idea’s together. If anyone has any idea’s for me for places to see or things to do im all ears. I don’t know anyone in America so you guys are all iv’e got. That’s sweet of me isn’t it haha.

Anywho im really exciting and can’t wait to finally get over there. One more thing i’d like to drive for a part of the trip and just take everything in that way. What i was originally thinking is getting a car when i get to the west coast and driving to the Grand Canyon and stuff like that. But if you guys have any other idea’s please let me know.

Seeee ya and Go Charlotte

that’s what she said

That’s what your mum said

Jesus that sounds like one hell of a vacation! Take me with you! I’ll be your tour guide! :lol:

Renting a car is the best way to see America.

New York City is really cool. You can get a metropass for $7 a day. This will allow you to take advantage of all the public transport in the city. You can save some money by staying in one of the other burroughs (Brooklyn, Queens, etc) and taking the subway into Manhattan.

The Virginia area is pretty nice. You can get some history at Washington D. C. and Richmond. Boston is also nice. It will be ungodly cold in December up there, so be prepared.

Charlotte has few attractions, but is a nice place. Of course there are Panthers and Niners to see. The National White Water Center is located on the outskirts of town. You can go rafting, kayaking, or climbing there. Charlotte is 2 hoursaway from the NC mountains. They are tiny mole hills compared to the Rockies and Sierra Nevadas, but there is still some great scenery, camping, hiking, etc. The little hippie city of Asheville is a great place to visit. Really cool bars, tons of live music, and lots of freaks to see.

Florida, in my opinion, sucks. You have beaches and theme parks to visit. That can be alot of fun, but the state is just one big, flat swamp. At least it will be warm there. I hear the Keys are great to visit, but I have yet to do so.

Grand Canyon. Awesome. Many things you can do there like taking mule rides into the canyon, exploring Havasu Falls, and rafting through the canyon require reservations 6 months to one year ahead of time. Check out your options online ASAP. There is also a new area call Grand Canyon West that has a glass bottomed walkway that stretches over the canyon. This area is also really close to Vegas.

As far as California is concerned, No. Cali is better than So. Cali. LA does have Hollywood and beaches and more things to entertain you than you can do in a lifetime. But the traffic is awful, the air is dirty, and it can be pretty easy to accidentaly find yourself in a dangerous neighborhood. NoCal has San Francisco, Yosemite National Park, wine country, Big Sur, Redwoods National Park, and more friendly people. Oregon and Washington are supposed to be great places to see, as well.

It does take 3-4 days to drive from coast to coast, so perhaps you would want to fly across the big middle expanse of America. There are, however cool places to visit there. Denver, Chicago, Tucson, St. Louis, Wyoming, and New Orleans come to mind.

Check out couchsurfing.com. A volunteer-based worldwide network connecting travelers with members of local communities, who offer free accommodation and/or advice. Basically, you can crash on some stranger’s couch that you’ve never met. It’s free. You can also host travelers that come to Perth. Anything to save money! You are also welcome to crash at my place. My girlfriend and I share a small apartment in the suburbs of Charlotte, along with two dogs.

I have a student guest ticket waiting for you.

I wanted to make a Crocodile Dundee joke, but I can’t get it together right now.

Renting a car is the best way to see America.

Agreed.

Although these freaking Notherners seem to put a toll on every single highway around here. Bastards. Sorry, anyways…

Basden, will your license work here in the US?

I hate to say it though… Early to mid December is probably the worst time of year to see a Niners game at Halton… students are gone… atmosphere is dead.

Are your travel plans set in stone yet?

As long as you’re not a serial killer :slight_smile: you are welcome to stay at our place. We are moving to Alexandria, Va (just outside of DC).

If those are the cities you want to see, I would suggest starting in Boston, not New York. Boston is further north, so you would work your way down the coast from Boston to New York.

I would also suggest a few days in Philadelphia. It is a great city, and you can learn a lot about America by spending a few days there. There’s the Liberty Bell, the building where the Declaration of Indepence was signed, the Constitutional Congress met to write the Constitution, and many more attractions.

Washington DC is also a must-see. All of the Smithsonian Museums are free, and you could spend a week there alone. My favorites are the Museums of National History, Natural History, and Aerospace Museum.

After your stay in Charlotte, and on your way to Florida, spend a day or two in Charleston. It is a beautiful city, and a lot of fun, too.

If you’re really set on going to Florida, go as far south as possible. Go to Miami Beach, or if possible go to Key West. It is about another 1.5 hours south.

Don’t know anything about California, but if you want to see some cool things out west, fly into Flagstaff, AZ and drive a bit south to Sedona. Sedona has huge red rock formations. It is an absolutely incredible area. From there, head to the Grand Canyon. Then off to Las Vegas for your New Years celebration. On the way, you’ll be able to cross the Hoover Dam, which is pretty impressive.

I hate to say it though... Early to mid December is probably the worst time of year to see a Niners game at Halton... students are gone... atmosphere is dead.

Are your travel plans set in stone yet?

Way to talk about the elephant the room.

I’d recommend checking out the mountains. I know you guys down under have alot of beaches and flat land, but what about mountains?

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;377826]Way to talk about the elephant the room.[/QUOTE]

Just helping him get the best of his experience.

November or January will give you a better game experience.

Hey All

I know a little about america and what sites and cities i should see. What i was planing to do is start my trip in New York. Then travel down to Charlotte obviously. Wouldn’t mind seeing Virginia and Boston too. Then i want to finish the east coast in Florida and then fly over too the west. Where i would like too see San Fransisco, Hollywood and then spend new years eve in Vegas.

Wow, sounds like a great trip. I hope you got 10 grand cause the cities you mentioned are not cheap.

Wow, sounds like a great trip. I hope you got 10 grand cause the cities you mentioned are not cheap.

Motel 6 :biggrin:

Motel 6 :biggrin:

In boston and new york? good luck.

In boston and new york? good luck.

Found one 10 miles from Boston… $60 tonight

20 miles from New York…$50.

Motel 6 is quite possibly the greatest thing ever to happen to the road trip.

:smile:

All of these cities also have hostels, which should help significantly cut the lodging costs…if you don’t mind sharing a bathroom, that is.

All of these cities also have hostels, which should help significantly cut the lodging costs...if you don't mind sharing a bathroom, that is.
I stayed in a hostel in Edinburgh with my brother one time. It was kinda odd, especially since I'd never done it before, but the people were cool. We had some aussies staying in the room with us and we ended up going out on the town with them that night. It's a bit unusual if you've never done it before and you take a chance of being in a room with crazy people, but it was way cheaper in Edinburgh and we met some good dudes so it was well worth it.