I'm tired of the officiating and the "agenda"

i can't wait to see spears in a niner uniform. but i'm holding off on too much optimism until he's played a few games. we should be better next year. the question is how much better.

i completely agree with you on that; but as far as heart and passion and just being aggressive goes im ready to see spears. i mean he got into the games this past season when we were losing on the sidelines. this guy will bring some intensity, that’s for sure. and im sure he will bring some help down low too.

I could not agree more! How often did we drive to the whole and post up with authority? Not very often, and that is a problem.

What made Eddie Basden good? He drove and made shots. He was physical! We just aren’t, enough said.

Phil has size, but he doesn’t do this, he settles for hooks and jump shots. He has a decent shot, but yeah, I wanna see us take it in hard and aggressive.

[QUOTE=punkrockcowboy;391264]Phil has size, but he doesn’t do this, he settles for hooks and jump shots. He has a decent shot, but yeah, I wanna see us [B]take it in hard and aggressive.[/B][/QUOTE]

…not a normal thing to say…

...not a normal thing to say...

We’re all into different things.

[QUOTE=J Felt;391278]We’re all into different things.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but those things belong on craigslist, not NNN.

I’ve watched a good deal of college hoops this season and believe me, officiating isn’t any better in any other conference. Bobby needs to stop his whining and not expect the refs to “win” games for us.

Get me out of this conference PLEASE!!! These officials SUCK!! 33 FT's to 11????? Buddy at the game said it was blatantly obvious and that they were letting St Joes play extremely aggressive in the second half, particularly on the boards. While calling ticky-tack fouls on the Niners, especially Mack. I'm so sick of this Sh*t!! We've been taken out of too many games this year by the officials....Not sure how Bobby keeps his cool these days????

F- this sh*t

Are you drunk? You can’t possibly think that every official has it out for us. This just in, we aren’t good.

[QUOTE=UNCCShannon;391111]I could not agree more! How often did we drive to the whole and post up with authority? Not very often, and that is a problem.

What made Eddie Basden good? He drove and made shots. He was physical! We just aren’t, enough said.[/QUOTE]

Um…we outscored them 28-16 in the paint. There are 2 glaring differences on the stat sheet…second half DEFENSIVE rebounds and Free Thows (21 to 6 in the second half). The only reason our rebound total was so low in the second half is b/c you don’t get a rebound stat when the opponent misses a shot and gets fouled. On the other hand they were never called for fouls when we were shooting and getting hacked and collected the rebound…elementary really. 9 times we were called for fouls when their player was in the act of shooting (and missing)…that’s a lost rebound. look at the stats inside the stats for a change…

We lost 20 games yet yesterday’s 2nd half collapse is proof of long conspiracy of officials taking us out of games?

[QUOTE=bball49er;391330]Are you drunk? You can’t possibly think that every official has it out for us. This just in, we aren’t good.[/QUOTE]

I was last night after the game…yes!

Any time there is that much disparity on the free throw line there’s an issue, particularly when we spent twice as much time in the paint as St Joes…

[QUOTE=switchfoot;391337]We lost 20 games yet yesterday’s 2nd half collapse is proof of long conspiracy of officials taking us out of games?[/QUOTE]

Glad you think the officiating in this conference is good. I can pull up many a game over the last 4 seasons to illustrate my point.

[QUOTE=EJNiner;391340]Glad you think the officiating in this conference is good. I can pull up many a game over the last 4 seasons to illustrate my point.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t say it was good, but thinks for saying I did :rolleyes:

I am not sure I get the point of a rant about the officiating in a game where we blew a 13 point lead to top off a 20 loss season? But whatever helps you deal with this season I guess. Maybe that can be the new excuse for the season, not youth, not coaching, not transfer or injuries/ not recruiting, it’s the officials fault!

FWIW, Majerus hasn’t been afraid to voice his opinion about officiating (and I would assume get some sort of reprimand from the commish’s office in Philly!). From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch following the Billikens’ game at Duquesne on March 4th:

Kwamain Mitchell had one of his best shooting nights, making 7 of 10, only two of which were 3-pointers. He drove to the basket a lot and made some tough shots. He had four fouls, and Majerus was very upset with the final one, a blocking call with 3:36 to play. It didn’t send Duquesne to the line, but it did give them a fresh clock. “That fourth foul on Kwamain was as bad a call as I’ve seen,” Majerus said. “That was absolutely no foul at all. That’s a call from their bench. Again, I feel sometimes I hurt the team by not being more vocal with the officials but I think a good official appreciates being left alone. That was your typical home court call, but the problem is, it can’t (overcome) the time of the call in a critical situation.”

Link: STLToday.com - Billiken Beat

[QUOTE=switchfoot;391341]I didn’t say it was good, but thinks for saying I did :rolleyes:

I am not sure I get the point of a rant about the officiating in a game where we blew a 13 point lead to top off a 20 loss season? But whatever helps you deal with this season I guess. Maybe that can be the new excuse for the season, not youth, not coaching, not transfer or injuries/ not recruiting, it’s the officials fault![/QUOTE]

Never blamed EVERY loss on the officials. Saying the officiating in many games has been aweful and it’s typically slanted against us. Many games its horrible both ways. Yesterday iot was horrible one way. Sorry you didn’t see that. Yes it’s been a tough year which started with Gerrity jumping ship. To be honest rebounding was our #1 achiles heel this year and our innability to win games in the last 5 min…execution.

[QUOTE=run49er;391343]FWIW, Majerus hasn’t been afraid to voice his opinion about officiating (and I would assume get some sort of reprimand from the commish’s office in Philly!). From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch following the Billikens’ game at Duquesne on March 4th:[/QUOTE]

Another team welcomed to the A-10 with open arms…

The reason why we outscored St. Joe’s in the paint is because we fouled them every time they went inside, so they got those points at the FT line.

We shot 22 3s, they shot 13 3s…

We took 33 2 point shots, they took 36 which doesn’t take into consideration the times they went inside and we fouled them on the shot, so because of the FT disparity I would say they probably took over 15 more 2 point shots than us.

Live by the 3 die by the 3…It doesn’t matter if Helen Keller is reffing the game, this style of play is feast or famine.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;391350]The reason why we outscored St. Joe’s in the paint is because we fouled them every time they went inside, so they got those points at the FT line.

We shot 22 3s, they shot 13 3s…

We took 33 2 point shots, they took 36 which doesn’t take into consideration the times they went inside and we fouled them on the shot, so because of the FT disparity I would say they probably took over 15 more 2 point shots than us.

Live by the 3 die by the 3…It doesn’t matter if Helen Keller is reffing the game, this style of play is feast or famine.[/QUOTE]

we were 8 of 22 from 3 which is like shooting 12 of 22 from two or 55%…I’ll take that every game! They shot 14 3’s and made 5 so we outscored them by 9 behind the arc.

In the second half we shot 19 2 pointers…they shot 15. 2/3’s of our shots were 2 pointers and I’m sure we were’nt fouled on any of the missed shots…

I couldn’t tell you how many FT’s were the result of missed shots in the paint for St Joes…probably not 12 though

I'm hoping, but not going to say he is our savior.

I remember sitting behind Jarvis Lang at one of the December games (when they give you the option to sit in the lower level) and I did not realize how frickin’ huge he is!! If we had players in the post his size I couldn’t see us ever being manhandled!

You must have been close to my son and I. Jarvis was down in front of us that game as well.

we were 8 of 22 from 3 which is like shooting 12 of 22 from two or 55%...I'll take that every game! They shot 14 3's and made 5 so we outscored them by 9 behind the arc.

I couldn’t tell you how many FT’s were the result of missed shots in the paint for St Joes…probably not 12 though

This is the same mistake Bobby makes and it is a system set up for failure.

Yes 8 for 22 for 3 is like shooting 55% from 2, but shooting a lot of 3s means you get fouled less. In addition to getting to the FT line less, missed 3 pointers can lead to fast breaks of off long rebounds, especially quick 3s, which we are notorious for taking. Another factor that must be considered in taking so many 3s, is you are making it easier for the defense to defend you by taking jumpers instead of attacking.

It is too general to just look at 3 point % and what that would be shooting 2 pointers. You should also consider the probability of shooting a decent % from 3 as compared to a good % from 2.

The most successful teams don’t live and die by the 3. Of the 50 teams who take the most 3s per game only 4 or 5 will be in the NCAA Tournament.

You can have success shooting 3’s, Pitino certainly loves that shot, and made a living off of it. But you must have several very efficient shooters and/or great rebounding to pull it off.

Oh, and nice threadjack :tongue: