Impact of JUCOs

Here’s a piece from CollegeHoopsNet.com that analyzes the impact of JUCOs in the so-called power conferences.

2006-07 JUCO Class: Less Than Productive

[QUOTE=run49er;234118]Here’s a piece from CollegeHoopsNet.com that analyzes the impact of JUCOs in the so-called power conferences.

2006-07 JUCO Class: Less Than Productive[/QUOTE]

Makes sense at the BCS schools. We wouldn’t go that route if we could land the talented freshman we go after.

I wouldnt expect Juco’s to make a difference in the big conferences… but the rest of the conferences I think they do… no?

Niners have had some success going the JUCO route, but if they are not physical specimens they seldom work out…Kenkay Jones is the exception to that rule. He willed a ffew wins for us…remember vs Cincy for the auto ticket to the dance anyone? Guy was magic that day.

That was KenKay’s best game as a Niner, by far. Otherwise, he was just servicable (which is more than we’ve gotten from a lot of other guys). You cannot base their value just on athleticism. For every Galen Young, we’ve had a Jerrell Jameson. Both freakishly athletic, but only one of them became a difference maker.

Still I agree, if we’re gonna go with JUCOs, let’s at least get ridiculously gifted athletes.

not to change the subject but since jamison was brought up i would say that this season he was a difference maker. he wasent an offensive threat and i do not recommend going out and recruiting more jamisons but his defense was outstanding, he made several highlight reel plays, rebounded better than any skinny 6’5" player should and took instruction and never complained.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;234213]That was KenKay’s best game as a Niner, by far. Otherwise, he was just servicable (which is more than we’ve gotten from a lot of other guys). You cannot base their value just on athleticism. For every Galen Young, we’ve had a Jerrell Jameson. Both freakishly athletic, but only one of them became a difference maker.

Still I agree, if we’re gonna go with JUCOs, let’s at least get ridiculously gifted athletes.[/QUOTE]

http://robots.cnnsi.com/basketball/college/news/2001/03/10/cusa_final_ap/

Those were the days…

KenKay was a block machine. He was the last actual defensive presence we had. People hesitated when they went in the lane when KenKay was throwing shots outta there.

Just look at the pic!!! Kenkay forever

Jerell showed great improvement, and Lutz turned to him to guard the other teams best offensive player each game, which is why he eventually started. Carlos Williams is a better target, Jerell Jamison had a solid year.

[QUOTE=Ruckus42;234234]KenKay was a block machine. He was the last actual defensive presence we had. People hesitated when they went in the lane when KenKay was throwing shots outta there.

Just look at the pic!!! Kenkay forever[/QUOTE]

Big KenKay fan myself. And he was a block machine, but he blocked shots from behind (kinda like Lasme @ UMass), which is not technically what you want. You’d rather have a Dikembe type who can face his man and swat shots away with his lanky frame, quick feet and incredible reach.

Jamison wasn’t bad. he did play good defense the last half of the year, but certainly wasn’t one of our top 5 juco players

[QUOTE=Threemire09;234236]Jerell showed great improvement, and Lutz turned to him to guard the other teams best offensive player each game, which is why he eventually started. Carlos Williams is a better target, Jerell Jamison had a solid year.[/QUOTE]

Jerrell was a really solid player for us, but Galen won games for us. He took over with his defense and athleticism. And he punked Ed Cota so badly that Cota shoulda quit basketball the next day.

I would have to see the statistics for ALL incoming freshmen and compare them to the JUCO’s stats in order to really make some judgements. I don’t see how this guy can make a lot of the statements he does when he doesn’t even have a baseline for comparison. You know, A LOT of incoming freshmen ride pine, too… and, it’s hard to score, block, or assist doing that just like it is for the JUCOs.

I’m still ticked from the game at UC in '01 when KenKay got elbowed in the face and had to leave the game to get stitched up (missed the next game too methinks) and Rodney got 5 fouls doing nothing but dominate the game in the short amount of time the refs let him play.

That was KenKay's best game as a Niner, by far. Otherwise, he was just servicable (which is more than we've gotten from a lot of other guys). You cannot base their value just on athleticism. For every Galen Young, we've had a Jerrell Jameson. Both freakishly athletic, but only one of them became a difference maker.

Still I agree, if we’re gonna go with JUCOs, let’s at least get ridiculously gifted athletes.

Jamison had a good year, I think. It was overshadowed by a horrible season, but I think he did a good job. If he was only a sophomore now instead of a senior, he could end up being an amazing player.

[QUOTE=NinerLoudNProud;234250]I’m still ticked from the game at UC in '01 when KenKay got elbowed in the face and had to leave the game to get stitched up (missed the next game too methinks) and Rodney got 5 fouls doing nothing but dominate the game in the short amount of time the refs let him play.[/QUOTE]

The refs were not biased. The refs were not biased. The refs were not biased. :rolleyes:

In a thread on the A-10 board about UD signing a JUCO, here’s what WH had to say:

Juco rankings are especially suspect. Spotty competition, little visibility. Don't pay too much attention to them (Ask Charlotte about Carlos Williams).

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of jucos in the A-10 who had a big impact in their first year. There’s only been a handful in the past decade.

Link: Atlantic 10 Forum