Interesting Article in the Boston Globe on the A10

“We don’t throw people out of the league,” said assistant commissioner/public relations Ray Cella.

They can’t throw people out, but they can set standards.

Boston Globe

With apologies to a mutual friend of Pi and I:

“Kicking Bonnie, Faadham, Lasalle, and Duquesne out would be wicked aaaaasome”

Tintin

Oh - no, the quote from the A10 commissioner regarding ''we don’t throw people out of the league" how is that for capitalism, we are joining the nice guy league.

Man that is a bad sign, how about some minimum requirements, even the Sunny Belt had some minimum requirements. I hope they don’t treat the refs the same way.

I’ve heard minimum standards have been discussed. Obviously 14 is too many.

a-10 board
sorry for the length

Originally posted by finalfourtyniners!
Boston University is a mid major there is no doubt about it, should the a-10 invite any mid majors?

reply:
Perhaps no. But it would only help to “cut the fat” and oust the most obvious mid-majors in the A10.

St. B, Duqesne, LaSalle, Fordham, pack your bags!

from a-10 message board
quote:
Originally posted by finalfourtyniners!

I agree with that get it down to ten teams like the name says.

A-10 fans response

Gotta love that coming from a fan of a team that has not played an official A-10 game in any sport yet. That takes some serious cojones if you ask me (not that anyone did).

another response

First and foremost, Charlotte fans have absolutely no say in the matter at this point. As someone said above, they haven’t even set foot on A-10 soil as of yet. Mind your own business. And as for the teams that everybody throws around as potential “throw aways,” wake up. I am a Bona guy and I’ll be the first to say that we are simply horrid this season. We probably won’t be a hell of a lot better next year. But the A-10 has held strong with Fordham during hard times, as well as teams like GWU, URI, and UMass. All of these schools have seen hard times and have successfully come out of the woods, or at least turned the corner. We’ll do the same, and I’m sure of it. I have total faith in Coach Solomon. As xubrew said, conferences don’t just oust teams, especially leagues like the A-10. SBU is a charter member in the league, dating back to the days of the Eastern 8. We have allies in all of the small Catholic schools in the league and we have a tradition that rivals anyone’s in the A-10. I really dislike getting in pissing matches like this, but at some point, the ignorant banter has to be interrupted. Go A-10!

[i]Originally posted by finalfourtyniners[/i]@Feb 11 2005, 09:38 PM [b] another response

First and foremost, Charlotte fans have absolutely no say in the matter at this point. As someone said above, they haven’t even set foot on A-10 soil as of yet. Mind your own business. And as for the teams that everybody throws around as potential “throw aways,” wake up. I am a Bona guy and I’ll be the first to say that we are simply horrid this season. We probably won’t be a hell of a lot better next year. But the A-10 has held strong with Fordham during hard times, as well as teams like GWU, URI, and UMass. All of these schools have seen hard times and have successfully come out of the woods, or at least turned the corner. We’ll do the same, and I’m sure of it. I have total faith in Coach Solomon. As xubrew said, conferences don’t just oust teams, especially leagues like the A-10. SBU is a charter member in the league, dating back to the days of the Eastern 8. We have allies in all of the small Catholic schools in the league and we have a tradition that rivals anyone’s in the A-10. I really dislike getting in pissing matches like this, but at some point, the ignorant banter has to be interrupted. Go A-10! [/b]

This is how rivalries get started. Too bad they suck. :stuck_out_tongue:

[b]. That takes some serious cojones if you ask me [/b]

Yea charlotte has those unlike some sissy a-10 teams.
Lets see if we can piss xaiver or dayton off, when they come here next year.

UMass is one of the founding members of the A10 and the last thing they want is Boston U. in this confrence. One Mass school is enough thank you!! We want our local rivals to be BC and UConn

This is what is so disappointing about going to the A-10 - it’s run like a hobby shop, not a major league. The A-10 could have major credibility by flushing the 4 aforementioned bottom feeders.

It’s probably not our place to bitch yet. They did give us a decent home-and-home setup for the first two years, didn’t they? Eventually, I’d like to see it shrink. The NCAA should set a limit of 12 teams per conference.

I actually wouldn’t mind seeing the league expand some more for the short term anyway. Ad Old Dominion as a southern partner for Charlotte and Butler as a western partner for St Louis. I say re-shape the A10 into a 4 by 4 16-team league for example:

A10 North: UMass,Rhode Island,Temple,St Joe’s

A10 South: GWU, Richmond,Old Dominion,Charlotte

A10 Central: Duquesne,Fordham,LaSalle,St.Bonny

A10 West: Xavier,UDayton,Butler,Saint Louis

Play every team in your division twice and the other teams once, that works out to a 18 game confrence schedule. Also this is a good way to esthablish rivalries within the league. Also the more teams you got the more teams you can get in the tourney. So when the Big East splits down the line and raids C-USA and the A10 again, the A10 will have enough quality teams to keep going strong. :smiley:

[i]Originally posted by UNCCTF[/i]@Feb 12 2005, 11:00 AM [b] It's probably not our place to bitch yet. They did give us a decent home-and-home setup for the first two years, didn't they? Eventually, I'd like to see it shrink. The NCAA should set a limit of 12 teams per conference. [/b]
In the words of Olivia Dukakis in Mooonstruck, "Don't shit where you eat".

I for one would rather be in the A-10 than what’s left of C-USA. I appreciate their invitation to let us join and I am going to support and promote the league for as long as we are a member.

If you lived up north, you would know that the A-10 has a very respectable reputation up here. The A-10 is like a little brother to the Big East. There are many interconference rivalries and Big East schools know not to take A-10 schools lightly.

Look at some of this season’s Big East A-10 matchups.

Duquesne (Pittsburgh, Boston College)
Fordham (Villanova)
LaSalle (Villanova)
UMASS (UCONN, Boston College)
Richmond (Seton Hall, Pittsburgh)
St. Joseph’s (Villanova)
St. Bonaventure (Syracuse)
Temple (Georgetown, Villanova)
URI (Providence, Rutgers, Seton Hall)

Villanova ought to be in the A-10 for all the games it plays against A-10 members. There are also almost as many ACC games in there as well.

Forget the Big East. The deck was stacked against us. We would have needed a Catholic pedigree, a bigger media market, and/or a viable D-1 football team in place prior to the ACC raid on the Big East, which nobody forsaw.

And the lack of football cannot be pinned on Judy Rose alone. While you are laying blame (if blame is to be laid), you can add the Chancellor, the University President, the University Board of Trustees, the Athletic Foundation, the Board of Governors of the University of North Carolina, the Legislature, and Title IX.

[i]Originally posted by MeinShaft[/i]@Feb 12 2005, 11:08 AM [b]

Villanova ought to be in the A-10 for all the games it plays against A-10 members. There are also almost as many ACC games in there as well.

[/b]

Nova plays all thse A-10 teams because of their Big 5 ties.