interesting take...from a Hall of Famer

Generally speaking steroids don’t make you bigger, but they make your muscles recover quicker, so you can work out more often and harder, thus the increase in muscle mass.

The workout regimen of athletes in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and even the early 80s, was less muscle mass driven, guys didn’t get jacked like they do now.

So while pics of Aaron or MAntle or anyone else back then might not show increased muscle mass, their recovery could have been quicker so it allowed them to play more often, and there is also that part about increase in bat speed / reflexes.

The point I was trying to make is we don’t know exactly what guys did back then or what guys are even doing right now. To pull this holier than thou crap is no different than what Palmerio or Clemens or anyone else does when they get caught with their hand in the cookie jar. The best thing to do, is just keep your mouth shut.

Its easy to cast stones. I bet 99% of sports fans who rip on roids would do it themselves.

Very true.

I’m no baseball fan, but I understand the argument from some that roids have destroyed the “sanctity” of the game.

That said…I’d do it in a heartbeat if I knew I could get a couple million out of hit.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;417694]
The point I was trying to make is we don’t know exactly what guys did back then or what guys are even doing right now. To pull this holier than thou crap is no different than what Palmerio or Clemens or anyone else does when they get caught with their hand in the cookie jar. The best thing to do, is just keep your mouth shut.[/QUOTE]

If the guys that did not cheat want to sound off on it, I want to hear from them. Those are the guys who should be talking instead of the media and us fans. They are the ones that know/knew more about what was or was not going on than we do. If their slate is clean, then I would like for them to speak out against the PED’s. Most of the clean guys during the last 20 years are hesitant to speak out about it not because they were using, but because they knew it was going on and do not want to get dragged into a situation where they are forced to rat out their teammates. The teammate code almost always trumps the ethics code. Right or wrong, that’s the way it is with 99% of professional athletes. Had Canseco not spoken out when he did and broken the teammate code, the usage would still be rampant and there would be no testing program in MLB. IF there is something to be reported about widespread steroid usage in the 60’s and 70’s, one would think an ex-MLB player needing money would have put it out there in print. When that happens, I guess we’ll find out if it was true. Since there were no 2B hitting 30+ homers during that era and very few players hitting over 40, I’ll tend to believe that it was not widespread.

If the guys that did not cheat want to sound off on it, I want to hear from them. Those are the guys who should be talking instead of the media and us fans. They are the ones that know/knew more about what was or was not going on than we do. If their slate is clean, then I would like for them to speak out against the PED's. Most of the clean guys during the last 20 years are hesitant to speak out about it not because they were using, but because they knew it was going on and do not want to get dragged into a situation where they are forced to rat out their teammates. The teammate code almost always trumps the ethics code. Right or wrong, that's the way it is with 99% of professional athletes. Had Canseco not spoken out when he did and broken the teammate code, the usage would still be rampant and there would be no testing program in MLB. IF there is something to be reported about widespread steroid usage in the 60's and 70's, one would think an ex-MLB player needing money would have put it out there in print. When that happens, I guess we'll find out if it was true. Since there were no 2B hitting 30+ homers during that era and very few players hitting over 40, I'll tend to believe that it was not widespread.

How many guys have said they were clean that weren’t? I bet you there are 101 others on a list as well.

People lie.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;417710]How many guys have said they were clean that weren’t? I bet you there are 101 others on a list as well.

People lie.[/QUOTE]

Palmeiro, Sosa, Bonds, McGwire, Manny, Clemens… off the top my head. I think I made it clear that if anyone was going to speak out that they needed to be clean, Boggs included. If Wade did steroids, he got a hold of some bad product.

[QUOTE=X-49er]If their slate is clean, then I would like for them to speak out against the PED’s.[/QUOTE]