Interesting things happening in the high country

“We must act now to keep Appalachian State University an institution that serves its students and employees, and not allow it to become a corporate entity that treats its students as customers and employees as dispensable and unvalued labor," said Rachel Clay, an ASU student, in a statement. “The university needs to allocate funds in a way that benefits the campus community. The loss of student, staff and faculty parking to accommodate the needs of tailgaters speaks to the larger issue of Appalachian State’s deteriorating prioritization of both students’ education and ethical treatment of faculty and staff.”

Sounds like typical backwards utopian logic that many of us may have been skewed toward to some degree at a younger age. The reality is that the faculty serves at the pleasure of the university and its appointed leaders, not the other way around. Further, the students are in fact consumers of an opportunity to earn, by their labor and their dollars invested, an education, and perhaps even a degree, and perhaps less likely, a meaningful degree that will allow them to not just recoup their dollars and hours invested, but to profit significantly from them. All of these things have nothing to do with tailgating, except maybe to provide an example to that younger group that money, not flaky ideals, is what drives their university toward giving extra parking benefits for supporters of football.

This is amazing. I bet their “fans” are pissed.

I see similar comments on Facebook and on news articles from some Charlotte students after reports related to sports/athletic projects/spending. I usually respond by seriously and kindly (not trash talking, no sarcasm) advising them there are many schools in the US without sports or little emphasis on sports that they should research and consider transferring to. Hope they do and wish them a happy, prosperous life.

this entire conversation is whizzing right over my head! what’s the beef at ASU? and why do we care?

reread the presser. adolescence is a terrible thing to have. :))

clt is shocked that appy’s little paper has a website. Bully to them!

football is the only thing that school has. There is no argument with that. You can debate the nice things north Carolinians enjoy about the town of Boone and the area, but for the school football is the only thing that allows it to be of any relevance whatsoever.

I don’t understand why any student, faculty or alumni would fight it there. Whatever the headaches, football has been a gigantic positive for them.

We don’t. We DO like to see unc-tweetsie hicks get their grain sack panties in a wad though. One can enjoy or ignore it.

Your comment is not correct. The faculty and administration have shared governance of the institution, the faculty do not simply serve at the pleasure of the administration. Its a basic tenant of higher ed and is explicitly embodied in UNC system rules. Yes, in this case its kind of ridiculous that people are upset, but university faculty have an explicit duty to take an active role in the governance of the institution, unlike say elementary or high schools where there is no shared governance model.

I am corrected

You are a righteous dude Mean Joe Green.

Biggest game of the year against their biggest rival on ESPN U. Let’s see how many people show up other than their students.

[quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:13, topic:29912”]Biggest game of the year against their biggest rival on ESPN U. Let’s see how many people show up other than their students.[/quote]they’ll have a good crowd. Weeknight will hurt them some but Id be shocked if they have less than 20,000 butts in seats

clt says we are their biggest rival. And we could care less.

They’ll probably pack it out. Be a shame if they didn’t. Huge game, they are doing well and on ESPNU. Great football weather, good for them.

I don’t hate them or begrudge their success, I just wanna beat their asses when we play them.

I wouldn’t they haven’t even been filling the seats (24,000) on multiple Saturday games over the past couple years. Interesting tidbit, up until 2007 they only had 16K and change.

Your comment is not correct. The faculty and administration have shared governance of the institution, the faculty do not simply serve at the pleasure of the administration. Its a basic tenant of higher ed and is explicitly embodied in UNC system rules. Yes, in this case its kind of ridiculous that people are upset, but university faculty have an explicit duty to take an active role in the governance of the institution, unlike say elementary or high schools where there is no shared governance model.[/quote] This is true, though it does vary a lot by institution. Some places are shared governance in name only, while the administrators basically run things however they want (particularly true of many private schools, which up until recently were not allowed to unionize). I think this has become more common as many administrators nowadays have private industry/business backgrounds rather than academic backgrounds. But there’s still a number of schools where the faculty are at least considered equals with administration.

Your comment is not correct. The faculty and administration have shared governance of the institution, the faculty do not simply serve at the pleasure of the administration. Its a basic tenant of higher ed and is explicitly embodied in UNC system rules. Yes, in this case its kind of ridiculous that people are upset, but university faculty have an explicit duty to take an active role in the governance of the institution, unlike say elementary or high schools where there is no shared governance model.[/quote] This is true, though it does vary a lot by institution. Some places are shared governance in name only, while the administrators basically run things however they want (particularly true of many private schools, which up until recently were not allowed to unionize). I think this has become more common as many administrators nowadays have private industry/business backgrounds rather than academic backgrounds. But there’s still a number of schools where the faculty are at least considered equals with administration.
[/quote]

Which category do we fall into?

There were 200 students at the protest. No one cared.

Meanwhile we had easily 10k students in the stand and it was rockin with an announced crowd of 24,120. The hill was pretty full until half time so it certainly looked like it. Glad you guys are so interested in us though.

We’re the first bowl eligible team in NC this season.