Is ACC scared to play Niners?

Thanks Mike. I just changed my signature. I know I’ve “justifiably” complained in the past, but the coverage this season seems to be much better (as I have stated numerous times).

Although Bobby chose his words well, the important basics were covered by Jena & himself. Those basics included the fact that we would have been competitive against most acc schools in recent years.

Fellow Niners, the reason for my persistence was simple. I had on numerous occasions heard statements from acc fans insinuatoing we were not in the same league with acc schools. As long as the Observer continued to base the acc schools as the common denominator of “good basketball”, we needed the public to also realize that we were in the same boat & could be competitive with any of them. The coverage this season has thus far done that.

B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B)
B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B)

[i]Originally posted by 49er1[/i]@Nov 18 2004, 10:39 AM [b] Just who is this great and wise JENA JANOVY? Any pix out there? We need to be real goooood to this woman. :P [/b]
I met her at the Pfeiffer game. Very nice lady and excited about covering the Niners. GO Jena!!!

Very thorough piece. Amazing how much information you get when you ask the questions. :thumbsup:

[i]Originally posted by Over40NINER[/i]@Nov 18 2004, 10:59 AM [b] Fellow Niners, the reason for my persistence was simple. I had on numerous occasions heard statements from acc fans insinuatoing we were not in the same league with acc schools. As long as the Observer continued to base the acc schools as the common denominator of "good basketball", we needed the public to also realize that we were in the same boat & could be competitive with any of them. The coverage this season has thus far done that.

[/b]

I agree with Over40 on this one. People around here know ACC basketball. Statements and facts like:

-The Niners are competitive with teams in the ACC.
-Charlotte has been to more NCAA tournaments the past 10 years than most teams in the ACC.
-That kid could play in the ACC.
-He was recruited by ACC teams.

That kind of comparison stuff…makes sense to those who grew up in ACC country. Plus, the teams are in our region and have strong RPI’s. Even the bottom feeders have good RPI’s.

a carolina game would be good, but i think a ncsu series makes alot of sense. the cities charlotte and raleigh are somewhat competitive, banking vs. legislative. i think there is a natural rivalry already there to build on.

^^^ Scratch the “home and home” and you will have your games with State I feel sure. Bobby said himself that these schools have to do whats best for themselves. Home and Home appears to be best for UNCC while home game only seems to be whats best for NCSU. Hey maybe you could pull an ECU and get the state legislature involved. They have nothing more important to do than get involved in in state sports schedules.

The State of NC isn’t exactly one to do Charlotte and the university favors.

bobby and jena are my heros

is jena icy hot?

[i]Originally posted by pcon[/i]@Nov 18 2004, 11:25 AM [b]
[b]Who were the two future NBA stars who played for that Alabama team?[/b]

Sprewell and Horry…James “Hollywood” Robinson I believe was also on that team. They were loaded. Also, the 4th team was State or UNC? and lost in the the 1st game to avoid a showdown with us.[/b]

It was NC State. That was Tom Guggliotta’s senior year I believe.

The most amazing part of that series was that we did it all WITHOUT Jarvis Lang, who broke his wrist a week earlier.

I in the past, have been very critical personally of the Observer’s coverage of Charlotte. I have to say to Mike, I have never been more impressed with the coverage then I have so far leading up the season. Keep it up and thax for keeping us posted!

That article is way overdue. I can’t find it in the printed edition. Is it the online version only?