Is Charlotte Football a Possibility?

Charlotte and ODU share many similarities (size, rep as an urban commuter school, relatively young, ongoing campus expansion). ODU seems to be giving serious consideration to starting Div. 1-AA Football and from what I read on this forum, we are not. Has Charlotte ever commissioned a study to at least determine cost and interest from students, alumni and the Charlotte community?

Startup costs are certainly not cheap (estimated at $30 M at ODU). It would take considerable administrative and political support as well as a few deep pockets to even think about it at Charlotte. How much of this currently exists?

I was impressed that the local paper (Virginian Pilot) showed enough interest to publish the article about ODU Football on the front page of the Sunday edition. Can you imagine the Charlotte Observer showing such interest? We could only hope. Links to the articles are below.

link 1

link 2

This board seems to be split about football. Obviously, Iā€™m a football proponent.
A study was conducted before 9/11 that it would cost Charlotte around $7M a year for football, using Bank of America Stadium at D1-A and Memorial Stadium for D1-AA.

Niner on Line

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
[SIZE=3]REQUEST TO MODERATORS: CAN YOU PLEASE CREATE A FOOTBALL POSSIBILITY FORUM SO WE DONā€™T HAVE 17 GAZILLION THREADS ON THE TOPIC?[/SIZE]

No offense to the newbie, but he obviously hasnā€™t remotely researched previous discussions on the topic.

Ask and it shall be given. :hammer:

Excellent service MK!

Thank you!

Here, here! Now us football guys can leave you bball only folks alone. You wish! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

ā€¦only if we wander in hereā€¦

Charlotte49erFootball.com

Charlotte49erFootball.com

I think what my co-poster was trying to say was this.

Where is the thread to critque that website?- Charlotte49erfootball.com

I have some comments.

Saw the write-up on the Hooters chairman who died last week. This dude (who is a clempzen grad) gave Coastal Carolina $2 mil for their football program and their stadium bears his name. Now is it clear what it takes just to start up even a piddling program? We need a benefactor like this guy, but we have 2 chances of that happening: (1) slim (2) none.

[QUOTE=49er1;181859]Saw the write-up on the Hooters chairman who died last week. This dude (who is a clempzen grad) gave Coastal Carolina $2 mil for their football program and their stadium bears his name. Now is it clear what it takes just to start up even a piddling program? We need a benefactor like this guy, but we have 2 chances of that happening: (1) slim (2) none.[/QUOTE]
I think there are several options within the community that would be willing to make this kind of contribution towards our athletics, specifically football. Letā€™s ask around before we completely shoot the idea of a large contributor down.

I think there are several options within the community that would be willing to make this kind of contribution towards our athletics, specifically football. Let's ask around before we completely shoot the idea of a large contributor down.

If Calvin Brock does become heavyweight champion, we could maybe pursue him. He will def be loaded by that point. I have talked with his ā€œleft hand manā€ and he said Calvin was considering fighting in Halton so he hasnā€™t forgotten us for sure. We could name it Champ Stadium or something.

Ask Clay Aiken. Iā€™m sure he loves football.

:smile:

You were wrong!!!

:slight_smile:

Iā€™d say thereā€™s a strong possibility weā€™ll be playing football at Charlotte in the near future.

It will never happen!! Bonnie Coneā€™s paralyzed grandson will never allow it!!

It will never happen!! Bonnie Coneā€™s paralyzed grandson will never allow it!![/quote] Not to mention that our athletic director hates the idea. Its a pipe dream fueled by fantasy dollars.

Bonnie Coneā€™s paralyzed grandson gave his blessing today. You can read it at onion.com.