Is it official?

Hey, just wondering if the pep rally is official. I havent seen or heard anything aobut it on campus, I’m gonna head down there though, just wanted to know what people have heard.

[i]Originally posted by somosdel[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 11:18 AM [b] Hey, just wondering if the pep rally is official. I havent seen or heard anything aobut it on campus, I'm gonna head down there though, just wanted to know what people have heard. [/b]
:sleepy:

so why was it so crappy?

Our marketing folks went to sleep again?

We have to have the worst marketing people on the face of the earth. I never see any announcements of upcoming events around the campus. The only way you find out anything is logging on to the website or going to the ticket office. They need to figure out some way to get banners or posters or something to put up on campus to let the student body konw what’s going on.

[b]Our marketing folks went to sleep again?[/b]

Have they ever been awake???

Maybe it’s because we don’t have a rocket science department. WAIT! It doesn’t take rocket science to do the simple things that would help so much.

[i]Originally posted by Over40NINER[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 02:02 PM [b] Maybe it's because we don't have a rocket science department. [/b]
somewhere in that comment is a Harvard President joke.......

The Problem with the Pep Rally…

Where to Begin.

How about with the attitude behind it. The idea is that once we know we are in the tournament we scramble a “pep rally” to “pep” the team up right before they leave. Ummm…that plan has tragic flaws.

First we should plan for a real pep rally and if the team doesn’t make it, then we cancel the plans. That way we have plenty of time to make the arrangments for a potential DJ (106.5, 96.1, 95.1) or other forms of entertainment, yet we also have enough time to cancel if we aren’t sure.

Second the pep rally should be the night before not the morning of. Sorry but students have class, if they don’t come to basketball games b/c of class, what makes you think they will skip for a pep rally. The pep rally should be the night before and that way both students and adults should come.

Third their is no marketing. I do a plethora of marketing work during the season but I didn’t even know about no pep rally until I got an email last night asking for us to show up. WTH? Who fell asleep at that switch.

Fourth the pep rally is cheap. Sorry but pep rallys with cheerleaders and basketball players are for high schoolers. Get some real action going on in their. Do the light shows, have the mascot, get some good music. Make it like a party. That’s also subsequently why it needs to be at nigth.

Fifth their is no real attraction. Most people aren’t naturally attracted for a pep rally. Get a radio station to come in and host their show. Have some free food. Give away green. Do anything but listen to them speak and then go home.

What was the estimated attendance???

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 03:44 PM [b] Second the pep rally should be the night before not the morning of. Sorry but students have class, if they don't come to basketball games b/c of class, what makes you think they will skip for a pep rally. The pep rally should be the night before and that way both students and adults should come. [/b]
I agree. You could really build it up with promotional give aways and the team and coach addressing the crowd.
[i]Originally posted by Mr. Bojangles[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 02:48 PM [b] What was the estimated attendance??? [/b]
?????

Perhaps 100 in attendance. Poor, more people eating at the food court.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 03:57 PM [b] Perhaps 100 in attendance. Poor, more people eating at the food court. [/b]
OMG....

we should trashing our marketing department…

My standard order Whopper took 10 minutes to get into my mouth after payment. I did get to eat with Tripp Miller, Plavich and Cass Ferguson (manager).

Honestly, the highlight of the day was a tour of the chancellor’s new residence by 49erAlumnus. The new top dog is going to like the place.

FYI… Friday will be busy for UNC Charlotte. The game is at 12:15pm and the announcement of the new chancellor will be at 4:00 pm in Robinson Hall.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 04:35 PM [b] FYI... Friday will be busy for UNC Charlotte. The game is at 12:15pm and the announcement of the new chancellor will be at 4:00 pm in Robinson Hall. [/b]
HP, I think a "Who will be the next Chancellor" thread is in order. :D I bet it's off the first page in 10 minutes.

this is absolutly not the fault of the students. I hate it when the student get blamed for lack of support, but 99.9% of them knew nothing about this peprally. That is a fact and they have no reason to know about it not there was one flyer at the ticket office.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 04:46 PM [b] HP, I think a "Who will be the next Chancellor" thread is in order. :D I bet it's off the first page in 10 minutes. [/b]
Not taking that bet Lefty. It's being closed guarded down in Chapel Hill.

A member of the search committee is right across the hall from me. I’ve been meaning to pry for details.

there was definetly less then a hundred people there…50 maybe…it was suposed to start at 11:45, i got there and me, and my 2 friends were the only people in attendence…bobby looked up from the court like ooo someone came

the camera crew then asked my 2 friends questions about the game…since no one else was there

the saddiest part was the cheerleaders starting a 40-NINERS chant…no offense to the cheerleaders, since they found out last night about it. it just isn’t possible to do chants with the amount of people there…i was just embarresed to be there and even more when i could here bobby clapping for the “here we go niners here we go”… :clap: :clap: … :frowning:

That is pathetic. I feel horrible for Bobby and the boys. We keep clamoring for more support from the average fan, as does Bobby, and I think we know what our weakest link is now - MARKETING. Seriously, does anyone get PAID to market our athletic program? Having assistant coaches begging students to take tickets to games and a select few students rigging the lighting so that the Belk Tower is green should not happen. Our marketing department should be doing this and many other activities to generate interest. I understand that winning basketball games helps tremendously to attract fans, but a pep rally that was recklessly and hastily thrown together at the LAST FRIGGIN’ MINUTE does not cut it. Do it right or don’t do it at all. Lame. I would have been embarrassed had I been there too.