Is It Time for a New Assistant?

The Iti-it (I like it, Cap City Niner) situation, along with the perception (whether true or not) that we can’t develop a post player makes me think maybe we need to replace one of the current Assistants (no recommendation) with a former Niner who could give us some credibility in this area (DeMarco? Kelvin? Maxwell?) I don’t know that any of them would be interested, but DeMarco and Max had great talent, and Kelvin had the desire, and love of the program. They could help with recruiting, too, but primarily I’m talking about them helping develop frontcourt players. Thoughts?

i agree 100%. we need a big man coach who actually was a post player!

I disagree. Duke has some phenomenal post players (Brand, Boozer, Shelden Williams and now Shavlick Randolph looked much better in the tourney) coming out of their program and they don’t have a post player coaching them. Wojo is doing the job right now and he’s 5’10. All we need is basketball coaches who know how to teach good fundamentals. No matter what position they played.

Somethings got to change or we will never get another big man. We cant win consistantly when we only have guards bombing away 3 pointers.

[i]Originally posted by Hooligan[/i]@Jul 31 2004, 05:35 PM [b] Somethings got to change or we will never get another big man. We cant win consistantly when we only have guards bombing away 3 pointers. [/b]
We can win as long as they don't get the flu before playing the Irish....

That was a first round game and we got smoked

[i]Originally posted by Chisox17[/i]@Jul 31 2004, 02:02 PM [b] i agree 100%. we need a big man coach who actually was a post player! [/b]
How many programs have a 6'8" assistant coach? Coach Moss did shoot a lot of jumpers in his career but believe me, he knows how to teach big man fundamentals. I do think we need to even out the offense, though. This will be the year to do it since we only have one true long range bomber. I hope to see a lot of easy baskets and 8 foot jumpers from Curtis, Eddie and Drayton.

What about Dalonte? What is he doing? I’m not seeing any Marlyand Area recruits that he’s hooking up and I know he was a last minute replacement for Nick.
Is he worth keeping?

That’s just the BS Iti bought and gave as his excuse for leaving us. He is OBSESSED with being in the NBA and his lack of talent will not stop him from achieving his goal (he thinks).

Apparently the assts aren’t too inept. Withers is a “big” man and he’s gotten better each year. You’ve got to remember guys- true centers don’t go to college anymore if they can play at all. The NBA drafts on potential not performance.

[i]Originally posted by mineshaft[/i]@Aug 1 2004, 09:00 PM [b] What about Dalonte? What is he doing? I'm not seeing any Marlyand Area recruits that he's hooking up and I know he was a last minute replacement for Nick. Is he worth keeping? [/b]
Dalonte is the third assistant coach. Moxley is 1 and Moss is 2. Dalonte isn't technically a recruiter, although his connections to the DC area should help. We don't have the money to pay our assistants the "big bucks", although I know that Coach Lutz has made it a priority to bring them up to the level of other similar "sized" programs.
[i]Originally posted by hootie[/i]@Aug 2 2004, 07:04 AM [b] Apparently the assts aren't too inept. Withers is a "big" man and he's gotten better each year. You've got to remember guys- true centers don't go to college anymore if they can play at all. The NBA drafts on potential not performance. [/b]
There was also a guy Named Demarco Johnson here a few tears ago who developed pretty nicely as a big man.

This year should be interesting for Withers. Demarco’s junior year was his break out year and CW’s game and stats, believe it or not, are better after 2 years than DJ’s.

49er - good check on the stats, I wanted to see how DJ’s 1st 2 years compared to Withers. Withers are better, and probably a little below the stats of Jarvis after 2 years (Jarvis sat out one of those years with an injury).

Withers stat over these guys is all conference 1st team in sophmore year, not sure we have ever had one of those. Maybe Henry ?

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Jul 31 2004, 04:50 PM [b] I disagree. Duke has some phenomenal post players (Brand, Boozer, Shelden Williams and now Shavlick Randolph looked much better in the tourney) coming out of their program and they don't have a post player coaching them. Wojo is doing the job right now and he's 5'10. All we need is basketball coaches who know how to teach good fundamentals. No matter what position they played. [/b]
The difference is that we DON'T have a history of quality big men produced by this staff. You don't need to be big to be a good coach. But when coach Alton Lister is even a possibility we lose a player, it's time the staff takes a look in the mirror.
[i]Originally posted by s9er+Aug 5 2004, 08:40 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (s9er @ Aug 5 2004, 08:40 AM)

We did a pretty good job with some guy named Maxwell, but that was a long, long time ago! :smiley:

Seriously, until Iti we had never really recruited a big man of any note. Probably closest we had ever gotten before was a Texan who transferred from UCLA. [Having a “senior” moment, so I can’t remember his name right (Rodney something, I think).]

The Campbell kid we recruited out of Georgia didn’t turn out to be anything special at Mississippi State, so it really is difficult to find someone these days. The good ones are going straight to the NBA or to the elite programs for a year or two.

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Aug 5 2004, 10:51 AM [b] Seriously, until Iti we had never really recruited a big man of any note. Probably closest we had ever gotten before was a Texan who transferred from UCLA. [Having a "senior" moment, so I can't remember his name right (Rodney something, I think).

[/b]

Not again, Run. :lol: Rodney Scrodum, er… I mean Odom.

Lefty, thanks!

I see alot of talk about DJ or Cam or Kelvin. None of those guys were developed by this staff. Lutz has had limited success with a KenKay and JWill. My point is that an overwhelming majority of the players over 6-7 that have entered this program over the past 6 years have not goten better. Far too many have transfered, each time we seem to find fault with the kids attitude or work ethic. At some point the staff needs to take the heat for #1 Who they bring in, and #2 How much they progress during their stay.

Whitehead, Neely, Reed, Helliwell, El Tamer, Kane (the last two names are there simply because we wasted a scolarship on them) have two things in common. They all left the program early without having gotten any better during their stay.

[i]Originally posted by s9er[/i]@Aug 5 2004, 12:35 PM [b] I see alot of talk about DJ or Cam or Kelvin. None of those guys were developed by this staff. Lutz has had limited success with a KenKay and JWill. My point is that an overwhelming majority of the players over 6-7 that have entered this program over the past 6 years have not goten better. Far too many have transfered, each time we seem to find fault with the kids attitude or work ethic. At some point the staff needs to take the heat for #1 Who they bring in, and #2 How much they progress during their stay.

Whitehead, Neely, Reed, Helliwell, El Tamer, Kane (the last two names are there simply because we wasted a scolarship on them) have two things in common. They all left the program early without having gotten any better during their stay. [/b]

Cam and Kelvin were both under Lutz. Did you mean our staff didn’t develop them because they were jucos? Withers has certainly developed with the staff. Of course, maybe part of the problem is the staff seems to add and subtract a member each year. If nothing else, it will be good to have the same assistants coming back for a change.

-Mac