Is the observer going to cover us this year???

Just checked the main sports page and college football main page (both on mobile) and the gold mine blog. Nothing about us on either page. Nothing on gold mine since August 4th.

There was even a story about ETSU bs Kennesaw.

We are two days from our FBS debut and nothing??

WTF???

[quote=“Gassman, post:1, topic:29793”]Just checked the main sports page and college football main page (both on mobile) and the gold mine blog. Nothing about us on either page. Nothing on gold mine since August 4th.

There was even a story about ETSU bs Kennesaw.

We are two days from our FBS debut and nothing??

WTF? ??? ?[/quote]With David Scott no longer covering us, I imagine the goldmine is DOA.

GTG?

Utter left the Observer so David Scott is now filling his spot for NASCAR. The Observer stuck us with a retired weather man who has no clue about us. He just spits out press releases. It’s not like Scott did much better, but at least he has a history and attended practices sometimes. Joe Habina wrote 3 articles in the University City section of the paper, but who knows who saw them?

The coverage given to us by the Observer has been even more pathetic than usual. That is saying a lot.

You mean you don’t enjoy the weekly stories about how the unc vs usc game hasn’t sold out yet? What else are they supposed to report?

clt says no, they are not.

FortyNinerFootballNoe just posted this on another thread so I guess I stand corrected. I don’t understand why it wasn’t on either main page though. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/football/article33227628.html#storylink=cpy

I don’t usually comment on the O, but I’ll make an exception this time.

They gave us an article recently about girls’ soccer. What do you bunch of complainers want?

Oh yea… 5-4-3-2-1

There is likely a hiring freeze and Scott won’t be replaced by a full time writer anytime in the near future if ever. The depth chart article did make today’s print edition (online last night). http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/football/article33227628.html

Today’s print edition has Observer writers covering Panthers and NASCAR and everything else is from the AP or from other NC papers.

McClatchy has been hammered worse than most other newspaper publishers and I wouldn’t expect any improvements until they are bought out. Even then you may never see any uptick.

If you subscribe to Thrillist online and see how they are covering Charlotte dining/entertainment here and in other major markets you’ll likely see what’s going to happen with local sports media. Rivals is doing this with a paid model but expect a bigger brand name to come in and start offering up free content through local correspondents (who are paid pennies)

If you subscribe (or even if you don’t) send Mike Persinger a note and if he hears enough feedback maybe he’ll throw some more money at Lyttle or other correspondents.

• P.S. I’m not Mike Persinger :wink:

I’m hoping the coverage improves after the entire staff stops promoting tomorrow’s tarhole game.

I doubt the weatherman makes it to Atlanta.

The observer basically ignored us so I basically ignore them. If they ever decide to actually cover the local team the way other papers do I’ll tune back in. I should not have to email Persinger and ask him to cover the local FBS team.

clt remembers when the observer called and asked clt to subscribe.

Ninermike applauds free market decisions . Ninermike also applauds taking action where it matters versus water cooler complaints on message boards.

We should celebrate our relationship with the Disturber every tailgate BBQ by using that fish wrap to light our grills and if we need to keep a surface from getting dirtier than the useless ink that will bleed from their biased and dying paper. The weatherman has made so many typos, maybe he needs to spellcheck his last name a little (Bad joke Thursday). Hiring freeze? Who in the hell would work for them? They got a retired weatherman to cover one of the more exciting football program starts ever, in the city where they print their fish wrap? To cover a rapidly expanding University that is placing, and will continue to place, more educated professionals back into the local market than anyone? Hiring freeze? What future could any good sports writer expect when their entire structure is geared toward selling papers to tar holes and covering a troubled and shamed school that is not even remotely inside their fish wrap market?

Mike P told me to give it a chance on Twitter… I did, and its worse.

Ninermike applauds free market decisions . Ninermike also applauds taking action where it matters versus water cooler complaints on message boards.[/quote]

You assume we haven’t tried that path. We spent a solid 10+ years emailing them. We would have lunches with Persinger. Nothing ever changes and we were told they just do what their demographic wants and that they are not obligated to cover us. That’s their business plan. It is working out great for them.

Ninermike applauds free market decisions . Ninermike also applauds taking action where it matters versus water cooler complaints on message boards.[/quote]

You assume we haven’t tried that path. We spent a solid 10+ years emailing them. We would have lunches with Persinger. Nothing ever changes and we were told they just do what their demographic wants and that they are not obligated to cover us. That’s their business plan. It is working out great for them.[/quote]

I’m aware that much communication has taken place w O including from myself.
Time for the free market to work if you don’t think that’s effective. Rivals subscription may be the best way to ensure a Niners content fix in the short term.

What is this observer you speak of?