Iti says he will be returning

Iti claims he will be returning

He better be worth this kind of hassle.

Coach Lutz: "“We will work with him, as we do all of our players, to insure individual development and team success.”

I sure hope team success is not defined as getting an at-large bid in the NCAA tourney.

The minimum team success I’m willing to accept is getting 2 wins out of the opening weekend of the tourney.

Let’s hope he lives up to his expectations. If so, our front line could be very imposing.

I take it Courtney got my e-mail

[b]'We have a great team at Charlotte and I look forward to a lot of victories with my teammates. I can't wait to play at Halton Arena in front of our great fans, again. My freshman year was a learning experience and I am ready to contribute more as a sophomore," Iti said.

“I know Charlotte will allow me to develop to my full potential and reach my goals of playing professional basketball while competing for championships,” Iti added. [/b]

Though not directly from Martin, it seems like we were hearing just the opposite not too long ago. Sounds like someone finally brought Martin to his senses and hopefully all of this will be put behind him so there are no team distractions. Has been quite the roller coaster summer with Mr. Iti and hopefully he is committed to this season, both mentally and physically. Glad to have him back but I just want an end to all the ambiguity surrounding his near future.

This is great news. Now, if only he can learn how to get a two-handed, legs-in-the-air, hanging-on-the-rim, monster slam to go ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE FRIGGIN’ BASKET!!! :rolleyes: :wacko:

I’m stunned again. At least they’re making the right decisions in the end. Glad to have the big man back.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Aug 9 2004, 08:32 PM [b]I'm stunned again. At least they're making the right decisions in the end. Glad to have the big man back.[/b]
Well said, never wanted to see him go, and even after all this drama, in the end he stayed here, so I'm willing to forget the past 3 months behind him and focus on him being our starting center for next year.

Well, I guess thats good news. We’re obviously a very talented team in the frontcourt. I just hope that there is no drama or selfishness that goes on in this years group. As long as they play as a team, we can go pretty far and the individual accomplishments will come with that.

I think its safe to assume he won’t be joining us in the A10 next season, but glad we have him for this season because with his presence it should open a lot of things up for everyone else on the court.

Now I can say I really like what we are going to have this season, but Iti really needs to get his but to the gym and work with the rest of the teamates.

[i]Originally posted by Iron9er[/i]@Aug 9 2004, 10:29 PM [b] Well, I guess thats good news. We're obviously a very talented team in the frontcourt. I just hope that there is no drama or selfishness that goes on in this years group. As long as they play as a team, we can go pretty far and the individual accomplishments will come with that. [/b]
We are indeed loaded with talent in the frontcourt. Withers and Basden are first team all conference caliber players. Drayton comes in with a reputation of being a scoring, versatile forward. Iti can only get better and has the size we need. Pigford and Nance will provide back-up.

As far as the internal issues. I think a lot of that left with Demon. He was a very vocal leader (too vocal at times) but didn’t always lead by example. It will be interesting to see how the young guards handle their new responsibilities. Plavich should help stabilize Baldwin and Goldwire. I can’t wait to get started!!!

I think we’re back to top-25 hype. I love it!! Sometimes drama isn’t that bad if it works out for you in the end.

It needs to produce now. He talks all this junk about the NBA, but has not showed anybody anything. If all he can give us is 6 points a game and a little over 1 blocked shot, we can get somebody else to make up for those numbers.

Show us you are worth the hassle, Iti. Either you are the next great college center or another reincarnation of Jughead Odom. :unsure:

I really think we are a better team with Iti than without him.

However I share the same chemistry concerns as others. I hope that he doesn’t develop the mentality that he should be the go to guy. If he earns that distinction I have no problem, but he shouldn’t think he’s entitled to it.

How great is the prospect of the final CUSA regular season or tourney title doesn’t go to UC, UL or the Memphidiots, but to the Niners? :smiley: :thumbsup:

Forget the chemistry problems, what I’ve read and heard about Martin is that he’s been working on his perimeter game, when he has been working out, this summer. (yikes!) Run was dead on about that big man camp. School starts in just a couple weeks. I hope Martin can find an opportunity to work on his post moves and defense, especially his footwork and timing. He absolutely cannot return as the foul machine he was so often last season, whether or not he gets singled out by refs. He doesn’t get a chance to develop in any way if he can’t stay on the court 25+ mins/game.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Aug 10 2004, 09:09 AM [b] what I've read and heard about Martin is that he's been working on his perimeter game [/b]
yeah, I hear he is gonna be Plavich's backup at sg

I want to see Iti and Withers come down with every ball that doesn’t go in the basket.

[i]Originally posted by Chisox17+Aug 10 2004, 09:22 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Chisox17 @ Aug 10 2004, 09:22 AM)

I think this is a good thing for the team, this will give Withers a chance to do his thing @ his natural position. I still question Iti’s heart, in my eys he is still major project.

Agent, I agree that Iti is still a project.

BTW, I went over to JucoJunction.com to see if Justin Young had sufficiently eaten crow concerning his story on Iti and Mesa CC, but, alas, nada, ziltch, etc… :rolleyes: