It's a Niner Gameday! Beat Davidson!

Only 8 turnovers 21 (80%) made FTā€™s.
Thats the story.

4 Likes

Great game tonight. We looked much better on offense down the stretch, kept our offense flowing and stayed in the move. Got good foul calls driving the lane, and that was the game. Kudos to Matos for his D tonight. I watched him all game and he made a huge difference.

I hope we have our last 10 minute fatigue knocked off. Proud of the team tonight.

2 Likes
1 Like

These last two tweets have video linksā€¦

3 Likes

Woo-hoo! This is a start.

We looked so much better in offense. Our defense actually looked even more intense and our offensive intensity didnā€™t let up. We still look like we donā€™t know the mover blocker that well but we had a lot of good passes and good looks tonight, easily easily our best offensive performance. Happy to see a W., especially against the lolcats. Hope we can turn that into something worthwhile.

Iā€™ve waited a while to post but with all the craziness in the world (Niner nation included) iā€™ve decided to add my two cents. Just like you guys, I bleed 49 er green And have been very depressed with basketball for a while. One of my main criticisms of basketball in the last 15+ years is the lack of defense. Lutz, Major, and Price IMO never could guard perimeter shooters. Uncontested three-point shooters are going to beat you 90% of the time. Iā€™m sick of teams making three or four passes and BAM , wide open threes. Finally a defensive minded coach who gets it. Defensive skills are not like talented shooters. (two ways to be a great shooter

1. natural born skills or 2) A gym rat who takes the extra time to shoot thousands of repetitive shots. Defense is a product of intensity, hustle, and playing smart. As a player, defense can be coached. On offense You can screen, set picks, Run sets, and Get wide-open looks, but lack of shooting skills will lead to failure.
    The Davidson game was a prime example. We guarded with intensity and jumped out on their great three-point shooters consistently. Kept them from penetrating the paint and all around Stymied them. Our players are learning that Itā€™s not glamorous but it does win games. The two points they donā€™t score is like two points we score.
    By the way whatā€™s the status of several players not suited up yet?
2 Likes

Major and his fucking tiesā€¦

That one in particular. He couldnā€™t figure out how to look like a Niner, how could he figure out how to run a program.

Thought the team played pretty well, pleasantly surprised by the outcome. Supica did a little better this game, though itā€™s funny to read the comments on the Davidson board about trying to get Supica in foul trouble as if heā€™s the reason they were losing. Young had a strong game, and Shepherd played well aside from a couple turnovers late in the game. Davidson could not handle their quickness on the drive, which is why we got so many free throws. I do think the refs calling this one tight helped us quite a bit, not as much home court advantage for Davidson. Matos had some key plays for us even if it wasnā€™t his greatest game, and Williams looked more comfortable in this game than he did in some of the earlier ones. Thought Rissetto did OK, but fouls limited his time. Garcia looks like heā€™ll be pretty good on offense, needs work on his D and rebounding (positioning was off for a lot of plays, can really see how the more experienced post players are in better position).

This is probably going to be a decent win by seasonā€™s end. Not sure that Davidson played all that well, but Iā€™m guessing they can do better. Theyā€™re pretty dependent on the 3-point shot, if thatā€™s falling theyā€™ll beat better teams. Not sure about their defense, teams with quick guards will give them trouble it seems.

I just assume the offense is never going to be flashy. It just needs to be efficient. If the defense works the win percentage is very high.

Every so often we put the two together and it actually looks great. Have to figure out how to sustain it. Canā€™t struggle on offense and defense and expect to win.

1 Like

Davidson isnā€™t nearly as good as their fans think they are.
They were bigger than us and shot just 16 twoā€™s last night. Thatā€™s getting you opponent to play into what you want them to do.

From an offensive efficiency stand point that was our best game this year. We were at 1.05. Going into the game we were averaging .979. We held Davidson to .866 when they were averaging 1.11.

Great combination of offensive efficiency and good D. That is what we saw most last year.

I hope it continues.

2 Likes

Kinda reminded me of how Saint Louis used to beat our much more athletic teams that liked to get it up and down the court and put up a bunch of threes. Was very frustrating to lose to those guys.

4 Likes

Watching the game, I was impressed with how we guarded their back door cuts. No matter who we had as a coach in previous years, Davidson killed us with layups. Last night, I think they had as many turnovers as buckets on back door attempts. Methinks Bob McKillop has not figured out the pack line defense.

1 Like

clt says we are ahead of appy at kenpom with this win. the appy loss was simply awful

We dominate them yet Iā€™m bitter :grinning::grinning:

2 Likes