It's time to go small ball

After watching the boys play hard in the big W over UAB, I couldn’t help but to think about going small for a prolonged period of time. One thing that sets UNCC apart is our conditioning and stamina, no doubt due to coach Preston.

If we went small with a lineup of Mitchell, Plavich, Sager, Basden, and Withers (1-5 respectively), I think we could maintain a torrid pace for 5 to 10 minutes a game. I’m talking full court press on D, then push the ball up the floor on offense – not letting the opposing team’s D get set. I’m envisioning a drive and dish out to Plavich or Sager for 3 now and then as well.

This type of lineup killed Rutgers for the first half, but Lutz called off the dogs in the 2nd half, allowing Rutgers to get back in the game. I would like to see this utilized every game. Maybe it can even hush Mrs. Lutz for a while, because when I get home my ears still ring with newly-learned insults.

[i]Originally posted by niner-friendly[/i]@Jan 13 2005, 11:13 AM [b] One thing that sets UNCC apart [/b]
Who is that? :(
[i]Originally posted by niner-friendly[/i]@Jan 13 2005, 11:13 AM [b] Maybe it can even hush Mrs. Lutz for a while, because when I get home my ears still ring with newly-learned insults. [/b]
Huh?

you must be up in the cheap seats because that lady has a mouth on her like a sailor.

[i]Originally posted by niner-friendly[/i]@Jan 13 2005, 11:13 AM [b]newly-learned insults.[/b]
You are an ASSBAG!
[i]Originally posted by niner-friendly[/i]@Jan 13 2005, 11:13 AM [b] Maybe it can even hush Mrs. Lutz for a while, because when I get home my ears still ring with newly-learned insults. [/b]
Bobby's wife is quite vocal, isn't she? I can hear her pretty well during a game and our seats are over near the Gang Green section!!! Told my wife that the Lutz household isn't a place I would want to be when Coach and Mrs. Coach get into a shouting match! :lol:

Ass bag? Where are you going with that insult, 1984? I mean, this is coming from a guy with the name CRAVEN MOREHEAD. I bet you can’t wait to have the headgear taken off soon. Don’t worry buddy, you’re a “winner” in my book, no matter what the kids at school tell you.

[i]Originally posted by niner-friendly[/i]@Jan 13 2005, 11:13 AM [b] After watching the boys play hard in the big W over UAB, I couldn't help but to think about going small for a prolonged period of time. One thing that sets UNCC apart is our conditioning and stamina, no doubt due to coach Preston.

If we went small with a lineup of Mitchell, Plavich, Sager, Basden, and Withers (1-5 respectively), I think we could maintain a torrid pace for 5 to 10 minutes a game. I’m talking full court press on D, then push the ball up the floor on offense – not letting the opposing team’s D get set. I’m envisioning a drive and dish out to Plavich or Sager for 3 now and then as well.

This type of lineup killed Rutgers for the first half, but Lutz called off the dogs in the 2nd half, allowing Rutgers to get back in the game. I would like to see this utilized every game. Maybe it can even hush Mrs. Lutz for a while, because when I get home my ears still ring with newly-learned insults. [/b]

I think it depends on the opponet. In contrast to your “small-ball” lineup, when we were down in the 1st half to Davidson, the “big” lineup of Mitch, Eddie, EJ, Curt, and Nance was able to cause problems for Davidson on both ends of the court, and got us back into the game just before halftime.

[i]Originally posted by Craven Morehead+Jan 13 2005, 11:16 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Craven Morehead @ Jan 13 2005, 11:16 AM)
[i]Originally posted by niner-friendly[/i]@Jan 13 2005, 11:13 AM [b] After watching the boys play hard in the big W over UAB, I couldn't help but to think about going small for a prolonged period of time. One thing that sets UNCC apart is our conditioning and stamina, no doubt due to coach Preston.

This type of lineup killed Rutgers for the first half, but Lutz called off the dogs in the 2nd half, allowing Rutgers to get back in the game. I would like to see this utilized every game. Maybe it can even hush Mrs. Lutz for a while, because when I get home my ears still ring with newly-learned insults. [/b]

[b]If we went small with a lineup of Mitchell, Plavich, Sager, Basden, and Withers (1-5 respectively),[/b]

Having Plavich and Sager on the floor together would be a defensive nightmare. As bad a Plavich is defensively, Sager is actually worse.

Agree with PI, if you were going to entertain this idea (a big if) I would definitely replace Sager with Goldwire.

Niner-friendly - you have got to learn that you cant post a topic for discussion, at least not basketball related, on this message board the day after a big win. If you in anyway critic Lutz or any of his decisions you’ll get called every name in the book. Post a topic about a new baby or how great our RPI is (when last week everyone was saying that our RPI doesnt matter.) Let the ass kissers have their day to shine and post this topic a few days later.

Just some friendly advice.

[i]Originally posted by niner-friendly[/i]@Jan 13 2005, 12:17 PM [b]Ass bag? Where are you going with that insult, 1984? I mean, this is coming from a guy with the name CRAVEN MOREHEAD. I bet you can't wait to have the headgear taken off soon. Don't worry buddy, you're a "winner" in my book, no matter what the kids at school tell you.[/b]
Sorry if my attempt at humor escaped you. Yes, Janet Lutz is loud. But as you'll note if you read the board there are many who complain that people in the alumni section don't make enough noise. She is not in that category. To imply that her comments are somehow more insulting than anyone elses, as your original post does, is a bald face lie.

You still haven’t told us who UNCC is… :rolleyes:

At times I’m critical of Lutz. I think deservedly so. Other times complimentary. It’s at least an ATTEMPT to be objective… I know I’m no means a basketball oracle. Last night though I thought he used his personel very well. Particularly sitting Leemire for good when it was obvious he couldn’t handle the defensive pressure. As much as Plavich is maligned by me for his lack of handle, he took care of the ball a hell of a lot better than Leemire.

As for using Sager in a small lineup for more than 3 minutes, that would be the move of someone well dosed with pharmaceutical grade heroin.

UNCC baby, the old school. We older men refer to it as the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. After all, that is the school’s name. Please respect the tradition. Sorry, just can’t break the habit.

And yes, Mrs. Lutz is quite loud. She reminds me of the woman in the beer commercial where the ref is getting blasted by his wife when he returns from the games.

You’ve read How to Win Friends and Influence People, haven’t you?

5 times. Love it. Second favorite to All I Really Need to Know I learned in Kidergarden