Jackson Simmons - PF - 2011

Correct on the Phil Jones situation. Briscoe had to pay his way too because we were out of scholarships at the time and so for classification purposes he was redshirt (transfer) walk-on.

Wow…just wow.

he will be on the Varsity team.

Wow, didnt see that coming. Really thought we were in the lead for this kid.

Bad move by him, in my opinion. I’ll bet he transfers out of there after a couple of years. Or maybe he doesn’t care about playing and won’t. But, even guys like Will Johnson (i think thats his name) went there on a Morehead scholarship, so at least they didnt have to pay their way. Thats crazy.

:shaking my head:

I’m sure his attitude to our criticism is defiant, but sadly, this isn’t just sour grapes. We’ve seen this before, and I agree, he’s likely to transfer unless he’s just there to get a degree and doesnt care about playing basketball.

Its admirable that he believes in himself, but I’ve seen this movie before. I know how it ends.

it stinks for us, but the kid has to do what he feels is best.

May feel that his future isn’t in pro basketball so might as well give up the playing time 4 years early and go learn the game from Roy and leave with those connections.

This is ridiculous. I dont understand that decision at all.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Jackson-Simmons-is-willing-to-pay-to-play-at-Nor?urn=ncaab-263115#remaining-content

He’ll get a perfectly good shot of earning PT, says his dad. “Everybody’s in the same boat when you arrive on campus.”

He’ll get a perfectly good shot of earning PT, says his dad. “Everybody’s in the same boat when you arrive on campus.”[/quote] :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Rick Lewis tweet this morning:

I must admit, the Simmons walk on decision to UNC caught me off guard. thought he would attend Davidson or Charlotte with ODU in the mix.

Shows you how little I know.

Roy Williams is from Asheville and gives a walk-on spot to a mtn boy every year. That’s how he’s getting the spot. Why he chooses to be a practice dummy instead of a player for a smaller school is just plain baffling.

He’ll get a perfectly good shot of earning PT, says his dad. “Everybody’s in the same boat when you arrive on campus.”[/quote]

Yeah, and fat, blad pro golfers marry ugly girls…

If this kid really thinks he has a snowballs chance in hell for play time then he really has another thing coming. It sounds to me like he is a little bit too ambitious. I’ll be sure to look for him on the court the bench. What an idiot. Dad is pretty naive himself. “sure I will pay for my sons college when he could just go for free. Roy Williams said its ok so it must be.”

You have it backwards. The kid is naive. The dad is stupid.

He’s a child, he doesn’t know any better. His father should be smart enough to know his son will never play.

You have it backwards. The kid is naive. The dad is stupid.

He’s a child, he doesn’t know any better. His father should be smart enough to know his son will never play.[/quote]

Fair enough. Excellent point.

Congrats on the playing time today Jackson!

http://deadspin.com/5876175/florida-state-upset-north-carolina-but-what-we-really-learned-is-that-walk+ons-are-expendable

[quote=“ninerID, post:42, topic:23372”]Congrats on the playing time today Jackson!

http://deadspin.com/5876175/florida-state-upset-north-carolina-but-what-we-really-learned-is-that-walk+ons-are-expendable[/quote]

He should be here playing basketball. Not with them being sacrificed by Ol Roy in a rear guard action designed to save his own neck.

credit to [font=Arial][/font][left][font=Arial][size=13px]BDevilU[/size][/font][/left] via packpride sports:

I’m not taking up for the Holes. Just stating that I’m pretty sure 2 of those players aren’t walkons. I know Jackson Simmons got a scholarship and so did the Stilman White kid.