Jarvis Davis - 2010 PG

Cupboard isn’t bare, but we have a serious need at backup PG and backup SF.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:14, topic:22594”]you guys do realize that the new coach might very well be interested in re=extending the invite if Jarvis is still interested?

It’s not automatic that he isn’t coming here, and he certainly isn’t precluded from doing so.

We still need another PG.

Let’s wait and see how this plays out.

And bare cupboard? WTF are you talking about? This team is almost fully setup for next year with almost 75% of its scoring back, plus deuce briscoe. This is about the best situation a coach could step into. this team will be a favorite to win the A10 next year.[/quote]

That made me laugh. Wishful thinking though.

Instead of laughing, you should be checking the returning rosters across the league.

Yea, I’m seeing a Temple team returning Fernandez, Allen, Eric, and Jefferson. I’m seeing a Richmond team that returns almost everyone of note (including A-10 POY Kevin Anderson and NBA Prospect Justin Harper) except Gonzalvez and Butler. I see a SLU team that returns everyone, Reed, Mitchell, Ellis, Cassity, Remuken, etc.

I haven’t even mentioned the two Ohio teams. Xavier can possibly return everyone except Love if Crawford doesn’t go to the NBA. Throw 4 top 150 recruits in the mix, a string of years since a home conference loss, and I have a hard time seeing how they aren’t the favorite.

Dayton brings in the highest rated recruit in the conference and the best recruiting class in the conference. Chris Wright will probably be back, Chris Johnson will be back, and they also get Drake transfer in Josh Parker who averaged 10 points a game at Drake.

I looked at the rosters, and I want what you are smoking if you think we are going to be the favorites to win the conference.

Of course we have a majority of our players returning. But my point was more so the new coach system may be such that some of those players may not fit it. Even though Judy said that each player must stay for 1 year with the new coach doesn’t mean everyone will be back.

The crack is apparently affecting your reading comprehension. I didn’t say the favorite.

BTW, Crawford is going pro, and the muskies are losing their best interior player - Jason Love. Losing Gonzo and Harper is going to cripple the Spiders, and Temple is losing Brooks and Guzman and Allen may go pro.

Even if any of these teams has 11,000 top 150 recruits coming in, it doesnt change the fact that we are going to return the first or second most scoring of any of this year’s contender teams in the conference. The reason I said a favorite is because SLU will return most of their scoring as well.

And while a few people are desperate to call next year a waste, the truth is, it’s an ideal situation for a new coach. This roster is in fantastic shape compared to most programs who fire a coach after a disappointing year (as oppsoed to one that moves on). Most coaches have to have an immediate infusion of talent like Cal had to do by bringing in Cousins and Wall to kentucky. That isnt the case with us. We need another PG, a solid wing and a backup big and we’re set. It’s an ideal situation for a new coach, and that coach may want to talk to Jarvis Davis.

Yeah, as long as we can keep everybody on board, we should be in pretty good shape next year. Hopefully Judy is using that as a selling point.

The crack is apparently affecting your reading comprehension. I didn’t say the favorite.

BTW, Crawford is going pro, and the muskies are losing their best interior player - Jason Love. Losing Gonzo and Harper is going to cripple the Spiders, and Temple is losing Brooks and Guzman and Allen may go pro.

Even if any of these teams has 11,000 top 150 recruits coming in, it doesnt change the fact that we are going to return the first or second most scoring of any of this year’s contender teams in the conference. The reason I said a favorite is because SLU will return most of their scoring as well.

And while a few people are desperate to call next year a waste, the truth is, it’s an ideal situation for a new coach. This roster is in fantastic shape compared to most programs who fire a coach after a disappointing year (as oppsoed to one that moves on). Most coaches have to have an immediate infusion of talent like Cal had to do by bringing in Cousins and Wall to kentucky. That isnt the case with us. We need another PG, a solid wing and a backup big and we’re set. It’s an ideal situation for a new coach, and that coach may want to talk to Jarvis Davis.[/quote]

When’s the last time a player from the A-10 went pro early? To the NBA as a draft pick, not counting the Shawn James/Kojo Mensah fiasco. Actually, go back and read a little. I bolded it in the quote, I figured that would be enough to point it out for you. EDIT - My apologies I see you said a favorite, albeit that is a bit vague.

I’d be surprised if we are picked above 4th next year, and don’t be surprised if Xavier or Dayton aren’t picked as the favorite. One of the two seems to be the favorite every year, and Xavier has won a ton of regular season championships. Even if the muskies lose Crawford, they still return a very daunting team lead by backcourt PG tandem of Terrell Holloway and Mark Lyons.

Oh well, maybe we can win the 2011-2012 regular season. ::slight_smile:

He said that we should be A favorite to win, as in one of a few teams who could win the reg season. And he’s right

Hell, that could be said about half the league. La Salle was a favorite to win this year. Aren’t we “a favorite” to win it every year?

I agree. We could be a favorite. I think we will have a solid talent level of players to contend for a title, but our system of offense and defense was not a good fit to play our conference opponents. Would make sense for him to decommit not knowing when we would hire a new coach and what his role would be.

Hell, that could be said about half the league. La Salle was a favorite to win this year. Aren’t we “a favorite” to win it every year?[/quote]

Who in the heck picked LaSalle as a favorite? They haven’t been an A10 favorite since L-Train was playing for them, and they were still behind Temple at that time.

Hell, that could be said about half the league. La Salle was a favorite to win this year. Aren’t we “a favorite” to win it every year?[/quote]

Who in the heck picked LaSalle as a favorite? They haven’t been an A10 favorite since L-Train was playing for them, and they were still behind Temple at that time.[/quote]

This year, a couple of media guys picked them to be first.

[QUOTE]
[font=Verdana][size=11px]La Salle was tabbed fourth and will be anchored by preseason first-team choice Rodney Green, who ranked fifth in the Conference in scoring (17.8 ppg.) and registered 14 performances of 20 or more points a year ago. The Explorers received a pair of first-place votes. [/quote][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][/size][size=11px][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][/size][size=11px][/color]http://www.atlantic10.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/102209aaa.html[/size][/font]

X, La Salle was a favorite this season and rightly so. Four seniors and a much heralded rookie got Dr. G & Co. picked 4th in the preseason poll after finishing 18-13/9-7 (tied for 3rd in A-10) in 2008-09. Of course, injuries to three of those seniors, plus the suspension of a key bench player, resulted in the Explorers having an even crappier season than Dayton based on preseason expectations.

Philly.com: Improving La Salle picked to finish fourth in A-10

BTW, La Salle wasn’t in the A-10 when L-Train played for them as they didn’t join the conference until 1995.

Let’s also not assume that we will instantly be a front runner next year. Have to let the coaching decisions play out.

Let’s also not assume that we will instantly be a front runner next year. Have to let the coaching decisions play out.[/quote]

I agree - perception may not equal reality, but the general public and A10 media could love our new head coach and think we are a favorite, but could just as easily do the opposite.

Let’s also not assume that we will instantly be a front runner next year. Have to let the coaching decisions play out.[/quote]

I was making the assumption that we make a good hire, but then, that’s the point isn’t it. A good hire is sometimes not just a good coach, but a good situation. This job is pretty attractive in terms of this roster and this program’s positioning to win in the A10.

But really, the main reason I said that was in the context of not writing this recruit or next season off just because we’re in the midst of a coaching search.

I have no idea where someone said he was undeclared on espn insider. In their recruiting section for Charlotte and under his recruiting page it still says verbal to us.

Last season when Xavier junior Derrick Brown was drafted by the Charlotte Bobcats with the 10th pick of the 2nd round. Before that St. Joe’s junior Delonte West by the Boston Celtics with the 24th pick of the 1st round of the 2004 draft.