Jay Thomas on Sirius

I was flipping channels on my Sirius radio on the way home tonight and ran across a new talk show (started today I think) hosted by Jay Thomas. After listening for about 25 minutes, he mentioned that he was from Charlotte, and that he used to do radio broadcasts of our basketball games. I don’t remember the name (must have been before my time), but his voice did sound familiar. Anyone of you “old farts” remember this guy? :stuck_out_tongue: I googled, but couldn’t find anything.

I only caught about 40 minutes of the show, but it sounded pretty entertaining. It’s on from 2-6pm on channel 148 if any Sirius subscribers want to check it out.

He had a couple of sitcoms on back in the late '80’s and early '90’s.

He was the top rated disc jockey in town in the late 70’s. He was at Big WAYS 610. His replacement was even better - Murphy in the Morning on WROQ 95 fm (then 610’s sister station).

Old Fart

I am an “old timer”

He was a DJ on 610 am, whcih was the station back then called Bg Ways

Also was on Mork and Mindy, Robin Williams breakout show.

Ohhhh… that Jay Thomas. I remember him from some of those citcoms. I had no idea he used to broadcast our games though.

Anyways, his show is pretty good. The 40 minutes I caught was all about sports and strippers… a winning combination in my book.

yes, he was on the old 610 am big ways back when they played top 40 hits and before FM albume stations. That was the same channel that broadcast our bball games with John Kilgo as the play by play.

B) He was also in “Mr. Holland’s Opus”…if any of u saw that movie with Richard Dreyfuss

I recall a confrontation Jay Thomas had with Norm Sloan after we beat NC State in the NIT. He got under Norm’s skin about them refusing to schedule us for future games. Jay definitely got the best of him.

I think Jay only did color the year we went to the NIT (75-76).

He and Kilgo worked our games in 76 on 610 AM (now WFNZ). A story: the night before the NCSU game (we won) in the 76 NIT, there was a pep rally/bon fire on campus in the front field. After it was over, a bunch of guys scooped Thomas up, carried him down the hill to the lake and tossed him in!! It was hilarious. Thomas took it all in stride and was a good sport about it. Some fun years. The best for me as a NINER fan. :stuck_out_tongue:

He was on FNZ recently when Kilgo was in the studio. They told several stories of them doing our games. Jay said he was actually clueless about basketball…and knowone knew it until his first game.

He also played Eddie, Carla’s hockey playing husband on Cheers.

On a side note, Michelle Tafoya also did the broadcast on some of our games several years back. She was then known as the “Mick”, sidekick to Gerry V (and obviously infinitely more talented).

Jay had Cornbread on the air today. It was a good interview and they spent a good bit of time talking about our basketball program and how far it has come in recent years.

One story he told (HP will appreciate this one): Jay was calling our game at Morehead State one year and when their cheerleaders came out, Jay said (on the air) “somebody get some corn because here come the piglets.” :lol: He said the father of one of the cheerleaders wrote several letters to the station complaining about that comment.

He kept calling us UNC-Charlotte, so I sent him an email correcting him and he read it on the air. He had Mayor pat on last week, so I also told him about the push to change the name to The university of Charlotte which he also mentioned.

49er1: In the email, I asked him about your story. He admitted it was true and all of his sidekicks were cracking up. He said he wasn’t too happy about that. :lol:

[i]Originally posted by "49er1"[/i] [b]He and Kilgo worked our games in 76 on 610 AM (now WFNZ). A story: the night before the NCSU game (we won) in the 76 NIT, there was a pep rally/bon fire on campus in the front field. After it was over, a bunch of guys scooped Thomas up, carried him down the hill to the lake and tossed him in!! It was hilarious. Thomas took it all in stride and was a good sport about it. Some fun years. The best for me as a NINER fan. :P[/b]

Jay Thomas was a riot, he knew nothing about basketball and was the perfect fit with Kilgo.

Lutzfan, what Sirius station is he on and what time?

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 05:28 PM [b] Lutzfan, what Sirius station is he on and what time? [/b]
2 pm to 6 pm ET on SIRIUS Talk Central Ch. 148.

My dad always speaks fondly of the Kilgo/Thomas radio team… he said that Jay Thomas couldn’t be serious about anything. He’s a funny dude.

Doesn’t Kilgo still do radio for Davidson?

[i]Originally posted by NormanNiner+Jan 25 2005, 07:32 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (NormanNiner @ Jan 25 2005, 07:32 PM)

Yep… weekdays 2-6 on 148.

The show has only been on 3 weeks and it isn’t a sports show, but he has mentioned our bball team several times. Thats better than anything you will get out of Fudge.

He also was saying that Kilgo used to hate him and punched him in the nose before one of the games. They are friends now though.

[b]My dad always speaks fondly of the Kilgo/Thomas radio team... he said that Jay Thomas couldn't be serious about anything. He's a funny dude.[/b]

My mom always says he was one of the great dj in Charlotte and that they were stupid to fire him(?)/get rid of him.