Jerrell Lewis gone next year..?

I have heard that it is VERY likely that Lewis will be transferring next year. IF this is true, I will hate it, but I wouldn’t be able to blame him at all. This kid averaged 25 pts and 8 assists against some of the toughest high schools in the nation, got nominated for the McDonalds AA game, and came here only to sit on the bench behind a timid and shaky ball handler who never played the pg position at all til he got to Charlotte. I just hate the whole situation for Jerrell. Those who have talked to him know what a humble and down to earth guy he is, and he busts his ass in practice and plays with a lot of heart (when he has the rare chance to actually set foot on the court during a game). I will really hate it if he leaves, since I am a big fan of his, but he needs to be somewhere where he can get PT and develop into the great pg that he has shown he can be.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;161616]I have heard that it is VERY likely that Lewis will be transferring next year. IF this is true, I will hate it, but I wouldn’t be able to blame him at all. This kid averaged 25 pts and 8 assists against some of the toughest high schools in the nation, got nominated for the McDonalds AA game, and came here only to sit on the bench behind a timid and shaky ball handler who never played the pg position at all til he got to Charlotte. I just hate the whole situation for Jerrell. Those who have talked to him know what a humble and down to earth guy he is, and he busts his ass in practice and plays with a lot of heart (when he has the rare chance to actually set foot on the court during a game). I will really hate it if he leaves, since I am a big fan of his, but he needs to be somewhere where he can get PT and develop into the great pg that he has shown he can be.[/QUOTE]

I REALLY hate to hear that but I think everybody saw it as a strong possibility. The kid didn’t get a fair shot this year (IMO) and it’s already been said that Carlos W. will start the next two years, period. You can’t blame him for wanting to go somewhere else and get and opportunity. I mean, who knows - if he stayed here would he get any more playing time next year?

I hope you stay a Niner Jerrell but I wish you the best of luck wherever you end up.

I don’t think he would get much of a chance next year. Lee would back up Carlos Williams at the point.

My guess is that he’ll go the juco route

to be blunt, it sure seems lutz really screwed this kid this year. I’d like to see him with a straight face claim baldwin was the best we had and deserved the minutes, to nearly no minutes for lewis.

only glimmer of hope I can see, dissing lewis was a long term strategy with addition of new recruits that truly are better?

Lutz is a moron…

he knew the offense didn’t flow smoothly through Baldwin.

Look at what Roy Williams did with Q Thomas. Look how much better they’ve become. Of course we don’t have the talent but Bobby can make the same decisions. If he’s not doing well, pull him, make him work for it.

Working for the damn playing time. Show you can do something. This shit pisses me off…

SCREW THE NIT.

That my biggest beef with Lutz this year is that he didn’t give him a chance.After the home loss to GW, Lutz critized the pg play on his post game comments.They had a week off & great time to make a change before the RIchmond game.He should have use that week to get Jerrell ready for the job.Since the home GW loss the have went 8 win 5 loss.Against some pretty weak teams.If Jerrell was starting i don’t think they would have been any worse

we had 2 of the 5 best players in the a10, plus Goldwire isn’t too shaby and was player of the week a couple times…and we didn’t even sniff the tourney which is pathetic. It all came down to the play at PG and Lutz refusal to make a change.

It would be another black eye for Lutz if Lewis transfers and then starts to play well. Vincent Grier all over again.

Lewis didn’t get much of a chance this year because many of the games were tight and Lutz just didn’t trust him.

Lutz might have taken a risk with Lewis with big leads but we just didn’t find ourselves in that position very often. Having said that, I believe there was one game where Lewis was yanked for a mistake during garbage time.

[QUOTE=Colorado49er;161629]Lutz might have taken a risk with Lewis with big leads but we just didn’t find ourselves in that position very often. Having said that, I believe there was one game where Lewis was yanked for a mistake during garbage time.[/QUOTE]

I believe that was during the Richmond game in February where Lewis was pulled during garbage time.

It will be interesting if this (Lewis’ transfer) comes to pass AND he does well at a D1 program.

Of all of the things that have happened during the Lutz era…continuing to start and give significant minutes to #20 this season is the hardest for me to understand. “Assist/Turnover Ratio” can’t be THAT important. IMO, a PG most important requirement is to create plays. FWIW, I was disappointed in #20’s efforts to do that during the 05-06 season.

How many of you sat and watched the player practice every day? I assume Lutz watched him practice and decided he was not ready for minutes. Just my guess.

The kid has been here 2 years and has a total of 57 minutes on the floor. Bobby humiliated him by yanking him during garbage time of the Richmond game. Would you stay if you were him? I wouldn’t.

Maybe there is more to the story than we know, but for whatever reason Bobby didn’t give Lewis a fair shot. Sure, he made some mistakes the few times he did get on the floor, but it isn’t like the rest of our team was lighting it up either. Lewis has a lot of potential and I wish him luck where ever he ends up.

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;161637]It will be interesting if this (Lewis’ transfer) comes to pass AND he does well at a D1 program.
[/QUOTE]

This just got me thinking…

How have some of our recently departed been faring lately?

Matas?
Tyler Best?

Does anyone know how they have been doing since leaving? By the way, I am VERY interested in seeing what Iti does at NMSU. He never had an offseason here to work on improving anything. I have a feeling he might turn out better than we thought he would (even though he was prett lousy here).

He was on the pre-season A-10 all-rookie team. How is it the A-10 has him on that and he sees the kind of playing time he did this year?

If he leaves, he leaves, so what… he had two years to prove he could play and he was unable to. I think Bobby is a bit more intelligent on the subject than all of us combined and it is his job on the line. If he felt Jerrell could play and play more effectively, then he would have. Players earn playing time by their actions every day and “if” he had shown in practice that he could play then he would have. IF he had shown in a game he could play, he would have. There were not too many times we were in blowout games either way where you just let someone develop where the outcome of the game is of no consequence. Jerrell may be a great kid, don’t know him, he may work very hard, but obviously the coaches did not feel his presence in the line-up would make us a better team, and they are the ones that see him every day.

[QUOTE=ninermac;161641]He was on the pre-season A-10 all-rookie team. How is it the A-10 has him on that and he sees the kind of playing time he did this year?[/QUOTE]

I thought the same damn thing…I’m not usually anti-Lutz or anything…but his use of Lewis has bothered me all year.

If he see’s no minutes tonight…Lutz should be ashamed.

We didn’t need Lewis this year. When Bladwin left the game, which was rare (he played 32 a game), we moved Leemire to the point and put Bennett at the 2 guard. Most people here believe that the Lee-Bennett-DA lineup was our best. Giving Lewis more minutes would have directly resulted in fewer minutes for Lee or Bennett.

The only thing I disagree with here about Lutz is how he has praised Carlos Williams coming in. He is basically telling Lewis that he has no chance of starting. Why even bother doing that? Make it an open competition over the summer and in October when practice starts. Why kill Lewis’s hopes the second Williams signs with us?

With Williams written in as our starter for the next two seasons and Leemire as the starting SG and backup PG, Lewis would struggle for PT until his senior year, the same way he struggled for it this year.

[QUOTE=CMack124;161648]

The only thing I disagree with here about Lutz is how he has praised Carlos Williams coming in. He is basically telling Lewis that he has no chance of starting. Why even bother doing that? Make it an open competition over the summer and in October when practice starts. Why kill Lewis’s hopes the second Williams signs with us?

[/QUOTE]

What does that say to the HS recruits out there who are interested in playing here??? He’s thinking, ‘Why should I go there and put my time in when Lutz will go and recruit a JUCO over me.’

It disgusts me that Lewis wasn’t given a fair chance this season. Anything would have been better than Baldwin. All Mitch did is get rid of the ball as soon as he crossed mid court and then ran around trying to avoid getting the ball on offense. It’s not hard to defend that.

[QUOTE=KTown49er;161640]Matas?
Tyler Best?[/QUOTE]
Nothing current on Matas Niparavicius other than [URL=http://www.court-side.com/p/P31E17F59CB5B090EC1256EDA00280237][B]this[/B][/URL].

Tyler Best - IPFW was 10-18 this season with Best starting, averaging 9.7 points, 4.8 rebounds, 3.0 assists.
[B]2005-06 HIGHS[/B]
3 Pt. FG Made: 2 on two occasions
Free Throws Made: 6 on three occasions
Rebounds: 11 at Indiana State
Assists: 8 at TAMUCC
Steals: 2 on five occasions
Shots Blocked: 4 vs. Longwood

The IPFW Mastodons, what a great nickname, BulldogDiva could naturally dance all the time with a trunk. :confused:

We have 5 seniors graduating in the spring. That’s pretty impressive. Baldwin red-shirted and then started his Jr and Sr. year. Lutz certainly gave him a chance to prove himself. Lewis could do the same if he wanted to.

[QUOTE=HP49er;161657]Nothing current on Matas Niparavicius other than [URL=http://www.court-side.com/p/P31E17F59CB5B090EC1256EDA00280237][B]this[/B][/URL].

Tyler Best - IPFW was 10-18 this season with Best starting, averaging 9.7 points, 4.8 rebounds, 3.0 assists.
[B]2005-06 HIGHS[/B]
3 Pt. FG Made: 2 on two occasions
Free Throws Made: 6 on three occasions
Rebounds: 11 at Indiana State
Assists: 8 at TAMUCC
Steals: 2 on five occasions
Shots Blocked: 4 vs. Longwood

[/QUOTE]

Interesting.

1- Looks like Tyler put on some weight (good weight). Decent numbers. He just would’ve never gotten minutes here he would have needed to develop (see Jerrell Lewis).

2- Matas- Reading the writeup on him, he sounds like Tim Duncan…then you look at his stats and he looks like, well…Matas.