JMU postgame

2k on point.

A long time good friend who graduated in '76 went to our first game with me. The only time he had been on campus since his graduation was for a game in Halton in '98. He was impressed with everything EXCEPT some of the UNNECESSARY and UNPROVOKED profanity he heard coming from students and younger fans directed at the Campbellā€™s team and fans. He thought the unprovoked profanity made us look bad. He uses 4 letter words like most of us and tends to use them often on the golf course, but I think it was the way the comments were used that upset him.

We have a long road ahead of us and the last thing we need is to get a bad rep as a fanbase.

My 2 cents.[/quote]Tell your friend to go to some other college events, this isnā€™t happening at Charlotte only. It also happens at pretty much any sporting event from college to pros, this point of view is just short-sighted.[/quote]

Agreed - would be nice for us to rise above it though.[/quote]I donā€™t see anyone getting beyond it, as long as there arenā€™t racially insensitive comments just have to move on.[/quote]

Well while what I heard last night wasnā€™t racially insensitive it was sexually insensitive. What bothered me the most is when the father if the child jmu fan and our fans asked them to tone it down they just got worst. I can get over the Bullshits and dams but the mfers, gds, faggot and cunts are way overboard. I know it happens and I know it will continue to happen but I would like to think we will continue to try to self police some of these idiots.

Alcohol and rationality do not mix. Excessive profanity bothers me too, unless , of course, I happen to be drunk and the source of said profanity. (joke: I really barely drink at all )

I donā€™t think anyone is condoning their actions, more just commenting that this is a problem with sports fans and not just Charlotte fans.

A long time good friend who graduated in '76 went to our first game with me. The only time he had been on campus since his graduation was for a game in Halton in '98. He was impressed with everything EXCEPT some of the UNNECESSARY and UNPROVOKED profanity he heard coming from students and younger fans directed at the Campbellā€™s team and fans. He thought the unprovoked profanity made us look bad. He uses 4 letter words like most of us and tends to use them often on the golf course, but I think it was the way the comments were used that upset him.

We have a long road ahead of us and the last thing we need is to get a bad rep as a fanbase.

My 2 cents.[/quote]Tell your friend to go to some other college events, this isnā€™t happening at Charlotte only. It also happens at pretty much any sporting event from college to pros, this point of view is just short-sighted.[/quote]I think you are correct, but letā€™s not pretend that this is a problem that goes back to time immemorial. Sports fans have gotten more coarse, and more violent over the last couple of decades and it does not have to be that way. Coach K has had to have student meetings a couple of times to raise the bar at Duke, and he has encouraged them to be clever rather than profane, and nobody would call The Crazies ineffective. I would like to see Niner Nation step it up.

I donā€™t think anyone is condoning their actions, more just commenting that this is a problem with sports fans and not just Charlotte fans.[/quote]

All the more reason to promote policing the idiots. Who else should do it? These are our idiots, and it takes a village.

Like fans booing or heckling our own bball players at Halton. Itā€™s fucking gross. How should that not be considered off limits?

Why not stand up? Confront these people with numbers. Out them. Shame them. Could be fun.

I donā€™t think anyone is condoning their actions, more just commenting that this is a problem with sports fans and not just Charlotte fans.[/quote]

All the more reason to promote policing the idiots. Who else should do it? These are our idiots, and it takes a village.

Like fans booing or heckling our own bball players at Halton. Itā€™s f***ing gross. How should that not be considered off limits?

Why not stand up? Confront these people with numbers. Out them. Shame them. Could be fun.[/quote]

Agreed. You donā€™t even need numbers. Mention it once and if they continue bring in an usher.

Continuing in front of children, after it was pointed out and had been requested to stop is grounds for getting laid out. I have a horrible mouth, but I know when and where to use it, even full up with beer I have my head on a swivel to make sure there are no kids around.

Iā€™m glad I sit no where near the students section. You can be an asshole without using the big curse words, I encourage that.

Iā€™ve stood over by the student section and it is a caricature of obscenity, which is whatever, but theyā€™re too close to opposing fans + children. Placing the opposing teams fans literally surrounded by the student section is a recipe for disaster. Apparently, itā€™s a requirement by CUSA, though.

My 2 cents.[/quote]Tell your friend to go to some other college events, this isnā€™t happening at Charlotte only. It also happens at pretty much any sporting event from college to pros, this point of view is just short-sighted.[/quote]I think you are correct, but letā€™s not pretend that this is a problem that goes back to time immemorial. Sports fans have gotten more course, and more violent over the last couple of decades and it does not have to be that way. Coach K has had to have student meetings a couple of times to raise the bar at Duke, and he has encouraged them to be clever rather than profane, and nobody would call The Crazies ineffective. I would like to see Niner Nation step it up.[/quote]

Well said Nugget.

2K, I agree with you, BUTā€¦ For clarification purposes, this guy has been to many collegiate games and at one time even helped work the chains at Wake games. He also cusses himself. He commented on it because the profanity did not occur as a result of a play on the field. The profanity was unprovoked, occurred for no reason before the game started, and could be considered repulsive by many. It was uncalled for and makes our fans look bad. Hopefully, this problem is being addressed. I have yelled stuff at officials and even an opposing coach more than once during the course of battle, but there is a big difference.

I just got home from the Panther game and I heard nothing like this from fans of the Panthers or the Giants. A fan acting like this would likely be ejected from the stadium at a Panther game.

My 2 cents.[/quote]Tell your friend to go to some other college events, this isnā€™t happening at Charlotte only. It also happens at pretty much any sporting event from college to pros, this point of view is just short-sighted.[/quote]I think you are correct, but letā€™s not pretend that this is a problem that goes back to time immemorial. Sports fans have gotten more course, and more violent over the last couple of decades and it does not have to be that way. Coach K has had to have student meetings a couple of times to raise the bar at Duke, and he has encouraged them to be clever rather than profane, and nobody would call The Crazies ineffective. I would like to see Niner Nation step it up.[/quote]

I donā€™t have any doubt that you are correct here, but you want to talk about ā€œpot meeting kettleā€. Coach K has one of the foulest mouths in the coaching profession and his wife is similar (and yes I know Bobby and Janet had ā€œbad mouthsā€ during games as well).

Most of the guys who were really drunk were the oneā€™s yelling profanity. Its the nature of the beast.

Weā€™ve got three weeks of experience with tailgating from 8:00 (at the earliest) until 11:30 (at the latest).

Some of us were tailgating from 12 or 1 up until 5:45 last night.

Longer duration, later in the afternoon, recipe for drunksaster.

My 2 cents.[/quote]Tell your friend to go to some other college events, this isnā€™t happening at Charlotte only. It also happens at pretty much any sporting event from college to pros, this point of view is just short-sighted.[/quote]

Agreed - would be nice for us to rise above it though.[/quote]I donā€™t see anyone getting beyond it, as long as there arenā€™t racially insensitive comments just have to move on.[/quote]

Exactly. Iā€™ve been to NC State, Clemson, and Appalachian State and Iā€™ve heard some nasty things come out of all of those places. Part of the sports world folks.

Overall canā€™t really complain what happened. The offense just needs to keep working is all and the defense looked solid in the second half. Martay Mattox was on fire with all the tackles he had. I see bright things in the future for this team, even for the rest of this season because they will only get better.

On the one hand, Mattox has been a disappointment when he has had the ball, but I am far from giving up on him. He needs to let the game come to him. On the other hand, he looks like a natural at safety. I love how he is flying to the ball and making good contact. The corners had some nice work last night too. The defensive line played well and got after them. Its hard to knock the Defense too much. I would like to see Pettit play with a little more anger and violence, but he has had a good year overall. I thought Clegg did well coming in for a tired Banks. I believe he forced one interception. Maybe he deserves some more minutes?

The offense looked great the first quarter. I could not believe we did not at least get 3 points before the live feed died again. When it came back, they had scored 7, which I guess is on par for being a Niner fan. I do think these guys are going to change that. For them to come in and play like they did on the road in bad weather, I am excited for what the future holds once we begin filling out our scholarships. I am looking forward to the remainder of the year and expect these last two games will toughen them up.

On the crappy fans, I wish they would recognize that we are not playing Cincinnati. This team has coaches that our coaches consider family and we are fortunate they scheduled us after ODU ditched us.

Well while what I heard last night wasnā€™t racially insensitive it was sexually insensitive. What bothered me the most is when the father if the child jmu fan and our fans asked them to tone it down they just got worst. I can get over the Bullshits and dams but the mfers, gds, faggot and cunts are way overboard. I know it happens and I know it will continue to happen but I would like to think we will continue to try to self police some of these idiots.[/quote]

I personally apologized to this man and his family about our idiot fans and asked him not to judge Charlotte based on the few individuals. The cussing was ridiculous and uncalled for. We need to represent our university in a classy way.

On another note, chill out on the bubble screens Mullens!!!

Still confused as to when the whole incident happened. Pretty upset that we didnā€™t have a bigger crowd show up.

We are talking about TWO different incidents. The one I mentioned happened BEFORE the Campbell game began when some of our students/younger fans started shouting obscenities at Campbell fans and their players and probably anyone else that was around. Apparently some of our fans think shouting obscenities for no reason at people they do not know makes them sound smart.

The incident NWA is complaining about happened at the James Madison game.

We are talking about TWO different incidents. The one I mentioned happened BEFORE the Campbell game began when some of our students/younger fans started shouting obscenities at Campbell fans and their players and probably anyone else that was around. Apparently some of our fans think shouting obscenities for no reason at people they do not know makes them sound smart.

The incident NWA is complaining about happened at the James Madison game.[/quote]

Part of the student section chanting ā€˜Fuck You Centralā€™ during the game two weeks ago was an all-time low, IMO.

Iā€™m almost positive it was me. Iā€™m sorry. I embarrassed myself, and Charlotte. I feel awful about it.