Joe Posnanski, best arenas for basketball

Who knows Joe PosnanskI. I ran across a sports story from this guy, selected as the best sports writer in Kansas twice, and he refered to the best places to watch a basketball game, one was the Mine Shaft from his old unciversity, UNC Charlotte…

Who knows Joe PosnanskI. I ran across a sports story from this guy, selected as the best sports writer in Kansas twice, and he refered to the best places to watch a basketball game, one was the Mine Shaft from his old unciversity, UNC Charlotte....

be careful giving him too much attention, if I remember correctly he is a huge Tarheel supporter and a bunch of at cusa-talk got in an email war with him about how he refused to call us “Charlotte” and kept referring to us as UNCC back when we were in the NCAAs every year.

(could be a different guy, but I’m positive its him)

The article on-line?

Who knows Joe PosnanskI. I ran across a sports story from this guy, selected as the best sports writer in Kansas twice, and he refered to the best places to watch a basketball game, one was the Mine Shaft from his old unciversity, UNC Charlotte....
Did he actually call it "his old [B]unc[/B]iversity?" lol

I don’t think that was him metro.

He listed us as Charlotte on his blog recently when listing our best alums in each sport.

He’s one of the best sportswriters in America and he gets a ton of respect from within the sportswriting community.

I don't think that was him metro.

He listed us as Charlotte on his blog recently when listing our best alums in each sport.

He’s one of the best sportswriters in America and he gets a ton of respect from within the sportswriting community.

you are right, the guy who we had it out with was an Atlanta Journal Const writer now that I think back on it.

sorry Joe!

If you like baseball, read Posnanski.

He may be a great sportswriter and Charlotte Alum, but I spent 4 years 1973-77 attending every game in the Mine Shaft (there were maybe 4 at the old Coliseum), and that was NOT a great facility to watch basketball!

He may be a great sportswriter and Charlotte Alum, but I spent 4 years 1973-77 attending every game in the Mine Shaft (there were maybe 4 at the old Coliseum), and that was NOT a great facility to watch basketball!
You mean you didn't like sitting on the bleachers??? It was good, but only because we won practically every one of those games during that era. I was at those games too.

Don’t argue with this guy though. We finally get an alum that gives us great props, so let’s not complain too much.

You mean you didn't like sitting on the bleachers??? It was good, but only because we won practically every one of those games during that era. I was at those games too.

Don’t argue with this guy though. We finally get an alum that gives us great props, so let’s not complain too much.

I agree, too bad he isnt closer where he could see what has occured on campus in the past 20 years. It sounds like he was proud of his college experience, seeing what has happened on campus it would be difficult for him not to be proud of his university…

Now if only this years team can live up to it’s potential and make us proud…

Just a couple weeks ago he had the front cover story in Sports Illustrated.

Maybe a little off topic but…

Anyone else think it might be cool to play one game a year in the Mine Shaft? Sort of a “throwback” game.

I may be alone but sounds like a good idea to me.

There are no bleachers in the mine shaft. A few more season like last year though and we won’t need any anyway.

Maybe a little off topic but...

Anyone else think it might be cool to play one game a year in the Mine Shaft? Sort of a “throwback” game.

Don’t we do that when we play at Davidson?

Maybe a little off topic but...

I like it. We could do it for that Christmas season game that we always schedule against a terrible team that we have “no business losing too,” but we always lose this game because there aren’t a lot people there and the atmosphere in Halton is terrible.

I bet we can fit all those folks in the Mineshaft and the atmosphere would be electric so we would probably win.

The Mine Shaft ROCKED!!

[QUOTE=49er1;416282]The Mine Shaft ROCKED!![/QUOTE]

Amen. Anyone remember the ETSU game at midnight on ESPN?

[QUOTE=49er96;416104]Maybe a little off topic but…

I may be alone but sounds like a good idea to me.[/QUOTE]

They took the bleachers out and turned it into a pretty nice setup for intramural/pickup games (even though it’s usually close to 90 degrees in there)

the ETSU game at midnight on ESPN?
It's been mentioned on this board numerous times, so many who were not at that game still know about it.

Yes, that place rocked and it served its purpose for that era, but we’ve move on to GREENER pastures.

If we still played games there, Davidson fans would brag that their place is better.

Yeah, too bad NinerMike Jarvis broke his wrist that game.