John Oliver's Last Week Tonight is better than the Daily Show or Colbert

Since about the 2nd episode, I have been thinking that Oliver’s show was quite possibly better. Now I am sure.

At first I thought it was due to the favorable lens of hindsight, and less time to fill combining to make his show the equivalent of a best of TDS or TCR…

But there was more to it than that. And I think this month old piece explains just why this show is so much better than I ever expected it to be…

http://www.alternet.org/media/how-john-oliver-became-sheriff-cable-news?page=0%2C0

And if you arent watching Last Week Tonight, you should. It’s fantastic.

clt says tds has not replaced the quality of reporters. The new folks aren’t cutting it.

It does make you appreciate what they had. Jason Jones and Samantha B are still gold, but after them there is a big drop off.

Jessica is okay.

I’m just surprised how much I love Oliver’s new show. I thought he was just okay as a fill in host on TDS.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:4, topic:28906”]Jessica is okay.

I’m just surprised how much I love Oliver’s new show. I thought he was just okay as a fill in host on TDS.[/quote]

I’m sure your just mesmerized by the accent.

[quote=“Jimmyhat49er, post:5, topic:28906”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:4, topic:28906”]Jessica is okay.

I’m just surprised how much I love Oliver’s new show. I thought he was just okay as a fill in host on TDS.[/quote]

I’m sure your just mesmerized by the accent.[/quote] you’re*

[quote=“J Felt, post:6, topic:28906”][quote=“Jimmyhat49er, post:5, topic:28906”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:4, topic:28906”]Jessica is okay.

I’m sure your just mesmerized by the accent.[/quote] you’re*[/quote]

You’re an asshole.

[quote=“Jimmyhat49er, post:7, topic:28906”][quote=“J Felt, post:6, topic:28906”][quote=“Jimmyhat49er, post:5, topic:28906”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:4, topic:28906”]Jessica is okay.

I’m sure your just mesmerized by the accent.[/quote] you’re*[/quote]

You’re an asshole.[/quote]Good job!

Definitely better. He did bring with him the head writer from TDS, but it’s more than that. The long form pieces that LWT does are funny yet better than what news outlets do.

So, is Colbert taking his writing staff to the Tonight Show, or will TDS probably vulture them?

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:10, topic:28906”]So, is Colbert taking his writing staff to the Tonight Show, or will TDS probably vulture them?[/quote]They’re starting a new show in place of The Colbert Report. It will be called the Minority Report with Larry Wilmore. I bet a lot of the writers just go to that show. I doubt Colbert takes many of the writers with him since the show format is so different.

I imagine a few will come along for the ride.

So for those of you that like Last Week Tonight, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee is even better. And I say that as a fan of LWT. This is the same Samantha Bee formerly of The Daily Show.

Check it out: