juco prospects

i was just on jucojunction looking at some of the prospects that have us listed. the first guy i saw was tyree evans who was in attendance for the maryland game. what worried me is that at the top of his list of teams is maryland which makes me wonder if he was there to see us or maryland or both. he sounds like the kind of big time scorer that we are gonna need to replace lee. also on the list of prospects that had us listed was chop tang who i have read a little about and it seems like he is a good shot blocker. thats all i know about him. finally i saw dominique keller has us listed. it sounds like this guy is in the charlie coley mold. big time athlete who is active around the rim. anybody have any thoughts or any other information on any of these guys or any others.

What prospect is going to put Charlotte high on their list until they know the outcome of the coaching situation?

55, this thread belongs in the Recruiting forum, where you will find:

[b]Dominique Keller

Chop Tang

Recruits at the Maryland game[/b]

FWIW, I still think Evans has way too much baggage from his off the court activities.

Just get the freakin’ juco’s out of your program!

[QUOTE=HP49er;281615]What prospect is going to put Charlotte high on their list until they know the outcome of the coaching situation?[/QUOTE]

Yeah…so let’s give Bobby an extension,have a mediocre year and talk about how happy we are to be in the NIT. What could hurt our longrange recruiting a lot more,imho,is continued mediocrity,lack of excitement with the program and almost no TV exposure.I’d rather risk an uncertain coaching future in the short term,than another couple of years like the last few.I think this team has much better parts than last years,now let’s see Bobby get the most out of them from here on out.Than i’d be the first one in line to re-up him.

first. i agree that evans may have too much baggage. however, if he proves that he doesnt then he is the type of big time scorer that we need to replace lee. why get rid of all the jucos. would you rather have coley a juco player or david booker a four year player. i dont think we should build our program around them but i think juco guys can fill needs and help round out a class. its amazing how i start a new thread, get three replies and not one response is an actual answer, just people yelling. calm down.

[QUOTE=ninerfan55;281621]would you rather have coley a juco player or david booker a four year player. i dont think we should build our program around them but i think juco guys can fill needs and help round out a class. its amazing how i start a new thread, get three replies and not one response is an actual answer, just people yelling. calm down.[/QUOTE]
I agree with your statement completely; my comment was basically targeted at the OVER-use of juco’s and I didn’t make that clear.

We’ve had great luck with JUCO’s and transfers in the past… Stephens, Coley, Drayton… then we’ve had some real winners (sarcasm) like Carlos, Coleman, etc.

i agree that when scouting juco guys bobby and staff need to be very careful but we have to understand that we need to take the best players we can get no matter where they come from.

[QUOTE=HP49er;281615]What prospect is going to put Charlotte high on their list until they know the outcome of the coaching situation?[/QUOTE]

I realize some people think we can’t recruit without the coach having a multiple year contract, and it has to be of some concern to the recruits, but what I see is that the past two years have been excellent, perhaps the best back to back recruiting years have ever had.
If Bobby believes in this program and wants to be here for a long time, it’s up to him to the convince the admistration and the recruits of it. Hopefully, he can and will do that.
It has been posted here a number of times that Lutz has a clause in his contract that basically gives BCS teams financial incinitives to hire him. If I were a recruit, I would be feel that if the coach wanted to be somewhere else, maybe I should also.

The uncertainty is being used against Charlotte daily and that affects not only this season’s recruits but the juniors who are being watched as well. We would have been better off recruiting-wise for the contract issue to have never been made public.

[QUOTE=lucky57;281620]Yeah…so let’s give Bobby an extension,have a mediocre year and talk about how happy we are to be in the NIT. What could hurt our longrange recruiting a lot more,imho,is continued mediocrity,lack of excitement with the program and almost no TV exposure.I’d rather risk an uncertain coaching future in the short term,than another couple of years like the last few.I think this team has much better parts than last years,now let’s see Bobby get the most out of them from here on out.Than i’d be the first one in line to re-up him.[/QUOTE]

HP didn’t say whether or not to give Bobby an extension, just that the lack of having a long-term contract is having an effect on our recruiting - which is a true statement. Would you want your kid coming here if you had no clue who his coach would be?

Thanks forD for clarifying.