Judy Rose, heart of the problem?

he still sounds better than orlando early. who is orlando early? thats not a sarcastic question. what has he done to earn a head coaching position here.

Cool the jets on Dawkins, he’s getting all he needs at Duke and will quietly replace Coach K in a few seasons.

Early had the reputation of being an outstanding recruiter, but I firmly stand behind the idea that the next coach will not have any previous connections to the basketball program.

thats fine. dawkins was just a suggestion. i didnt actually expect us to go after him. i hope whoever we get, even if it is early can recruit. you say early can, i hope youre right. i wouldnt mind going after someone who has no affiliation with the university.

thats fine. dawkins was just a suggestion. i didnt actually expect us to go after him. i hope whoever we get, even if it is early can recruit. you say early can, i hope youre right. i wouldnt mind going after someone who has no affiliation with the university.

Orlando Early is a PHENOMENAL recruiter. He would bring in big timers.

can someone please explain to me how the DC area affects CHARLOTTE?

and if it does - why someone with a map couldnt figure the bloody city out

if orlando early is a phenonomenal recruiter i hope we get him. out of curiosity what has he done to be a phenomenomal recruiter. thats not a sarcastic question im just interested. does he have connections.

if orlando early is a phenonomenal recruiter i hope we get him. out of curiosity what has he done to be a phenomenomal recruiter. thats not a sarcastic question im just interested. does he have connections.

He spent 4 years at Alabama, and landed some BIGTIME players. If Bobby leaves, this guy is my #1 choice on the wish list, and its not even close.

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]There is a lot of talk here about how much everyone in the Athletic Department dislikes Judy Rose. I am having trouble reconciling that with the fact that we typically keep coaches for a long time and her staff is mostly long-time employees. Maybe you have inside knowledge or were scholarship athletes here and have connections that I do not. All I can do is look at what is visible and wonder.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I know that most of our coaches enjoy better facilities today than they did a decade ago. Most of these coaches have more scholarships to offer today than they did a decade ago. Many of them are having good success with their programs.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Our women’s basketball coach is leaving, but I do not think it is because she has problems with Judy Rose. She might tell you that Judy promoting her to head coach two years ago is what positioned her to get the top job at her alma mater, an SEC school and arguably the best school in college sports right now. She might also mention that her predecessor, Katie Meier, was able to go to an ACC school, Miami, on the strength of what she did here.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Our men’s program may be facing big changes, and I will be sad to see Coach Lutz go if he does leave, but it would be hard to say that our program has been anything but successful over his nine years. Sure, we have faltered lately, and maybe that calls for a change, but what exactly do you think is the AD’s fault here? The tone of this board is to get rid of the coach, and it seems that his contract has not been renewed based on the team’s performance. Is that not what you are calling for? Coach Lutz may not be happy with his situation here right now, but I bet he understands why he is in it. Does this not mean that you agree with Judy Rose?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I have seen comments about Melvin Watkins. True, Melvin did not get immediate consideration for the Head Coach position after Jeff Mullins and that had to sting. While he did a good job in his two years here as Head Coach, his six years at Texas A&M and their subsequent success make me wonder if our AD wasn’t onto something. I do know when Coach Wat lost his job at A&M he called Judy Rose to see if she could keep an eye out for him. Perhaps they made up.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]When Bobby Kummer lost his job at A&M he came back here, and he certainly knew Judy Rose. When Rob Moxley found that he did not like it at Maryland he came back here, and again, he knew Judy Rose.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]We are in the A-10 because it is the best place we could land without football. I suppose you can choose to believe that we do not have football because of Bonnie Cone’s mythical grandson, Chancellor Woodward did not like football, or Judy Rose only wants women’s sports, but the truth is it is all about money. Charlotte does not have much.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]The 49er Club is the fundraising organization responsible for bringing in the bucks and they do roll up to the AD’s office, so it is fair to say that Judy Rose owns the money problem. I believe that there are less than 2000 members of the 49er Club, so if you take $3 million per year as a minimum that we need to do any kind of a football program that means that each 49er Club member needs to donate an extra $1500 each year. I do not think that I can do that. If your suggestion is that the Athletic Department should just go get the money from Wachovia, BofA, and Lowes I ask you why would they join us in a big way when we can only rally 2000 people to join our booster club? We have 70,000 living alumni. Where are they?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Judy Rose may not be the AD that we need, but I do not think that I am seeing any well thought out arguments as to why. Show me the light.[/FONT][/COLOR]

i dont blame judy rose for everything. it isnt her fault we dont have football or are in the a10 but she doesnt seem to be helping us move forward. back to the head coaching position. the more i read the more i like orlando early. if he can win at ul monroe imagine what he can do here. from what i read he was a great assistant coach and if he is as good a recruiter as you say he is then he is number one on my list. maybe it is just time for a change. to play devils advocate though, moxley is supposed to be a great recruiter and he hasent done an unbelievable job since hes been back, although i am optimistic about next years class.

[QUOTE=ninerfan55;232436]he still sounds better than orlando early. who is orlando early? thats not a sarcastic question. what has he done to earn a head coaching position here.[/QUOTE]

google is your friend.

http://ulmathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/early_orlando00.html

i believe my posts above show that my mind has been changed.

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]There is a lot of talk here about how much everyone in the Athletic Department dislikes Judy Rose. I am having trouble reconciling that with the fact that we typically keep coaches for a long time and her staff is mostly long-time employees. Maybe you have inside knowledge or were scholarship athletes here and have connections that I do not. All I can do is look at what is visible and wonder.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I know that most of our coaches enjoy better facilities today than they did a decade ago. Most of these coaches have more scholarships to offer today than they did a decade ago. Many of them are having good success with their programs.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Our women’s basketball coach is leaving, but I do not think it is because she has problems with Judy Rose. She might tell you that Judy promoting her to head coach two years ago is what positioned her to get the top job at her alma mater, an SEC school and arguably the best school in college sports right now. She might also mention that her predecessor, Katie Meier, was able to go to an ACC school, Miami, on the strength of what she did here.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Our men’s program may be facing big changes, and I will be sad to see Coach Lutz go if he does leave, but it would be hard to say that our program has been anything but successful over his nine years. Sure, we have faltered lately, and maybe that calls for a change, but what exactly do you think is the AD’s fault here? The tone of this board is to get rid of the coach, and it seems that his contract has not been renewed based on the team’s performance. Is that not what you are calling for? Coach Lutz may not be happy with his situation here right now, but I bet he understands why he is in it. Does this not mean that you agree with Judy Rose?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I have seen comments about Melvin Watkins. True, Melvin did not get immediate consideration for the Head Coach position after Jeff Mullins and that had to sting. While he did a good job in his two years here as Head Coach, his six years at Texas A&M and their subsequent success make me wonder if our AD wasn’t onto something. I do know when Coach Wat lost his job at A&M he called Judy Rose to see if she could keep an eye out for him. Perhaps they made up.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]When Bobby Kummer lost his job at A&M he came back here, and he certainly knew Judy Rose. When Rob Moxley found that he did not like it at Maryland he came back here, and again, he knew Judy Rose.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]We are in the A-10 because it is the best place we could land without football. I suppose you can choose to believe that we do not have football because of Bonnie Cone’s mythical grandson, Chancellor Woodward did not like football, or Judy Rose only wants women’s sports, but the truth is it is all about money. Charlotte does not have much.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]The 49er Club is the fundraising organization responsible for bringing in the bucks and they do roll up to the AD’s office, so it is fair to say that Judy Rose owns the money problem. I believe that there are less than 2000 members of the 49er Club, so if you take $3 million per year as a minimum that we need to do any kind of a football program that means that each 49er Club member needs to donate an extra $1500 each year. I do not think that I can do that. If your suggestion is that the Athletic Department should just go get the money from Wachovia, BofA, and Lowes I ask you why would they join us in a big way when we can only rally 2000 people to join our booster club? We have 70,000 living alumni. Where are they?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Judy Rose may not be the AD that we need, but I do not think that I am seeing any well thought out arguments as to why. Show me the light.[/FONT][/COLOR]

First off, good post.

But I can give my reasons as to why Judy may not be the AD we need. I don’t think she takes enough risks for us to attempt to grow as a program. As you stated, the 49er club is horribly underfunded and has few donors. What are the reasons? I believe one is lack of enthusiasm. Lack of enthusiasm is caused by alumni not feeling connected to the University. Therefore, why not attempt to connect more people to the University.

One simple step would be to pay to have games broadcast on an FM radio station. Yes, it would cost money, but the potential audience would be an exponential increase over the current AM station.

Another step, semi-annual gatherings for alumni in Charlotte and other major metropolitan areas. To do this, data collection is essential. The admins would have to try to collect alumnis’ contact info right at graduation. For example, require an address to receive a diploma, then pass this information to the sports program. Then, determine which alumni live in, for example, Washington DC, and call them to tell each alumni about a free gathering in the city. Again, it costs money, but alumni would begin to feel more connected if personal interaction occurs from the University. As to this point, blanket mailings will not work. It’s like a form of junk mail. The University needs to actively build its base through personal contact. For example, my 10 minute meeting with DuBois does more for me than 3 years of mailings ever did. The way the current system is set up, Alumni have to actively seek out to be plugged into the University.

Another step would be to change advertising venues. Billboards in my mind are not the way to go. Why not take out advertising space in the Observer for 10 games of the season with specials on tickets if the ad is mentioned? If enough advertising revenue is sent to the Observer, it might actually affect some of the reporting done on the Niners in the paper (since pulling ads could affect revenue).

In yet another step, why doesn’t she perform more interviews for the local media. She should plaster her face as the face of all Charlotte Athletics. Even if its Headline News local edition, mention of the University on the TV should help.

As for gameday advertisement, current advertising is deplorable. Paper signs at the entrance may be ok for a minor swim meet, but not for a Men’s Basketball Game. Why not rent 12 spotlights and shine them into the sky? That would raise more questions from outside spectators than paper signs. For most games, though, can 10 students be rounded up to carry large signs for games at University City outside shopping centers and have coupons for any inquisitive people? If Leather and Lace can pass out fliers on campus, why can’t the University pass out fliers around the places outside the University?

As for football, she had to know that would hurt us in any conference alignment. She should have been pushing for the study to be performed 10 years ago. They were going to look into it around Sept 11, 2001, and yes that was a horrible day, but it should not have been an excuse to stop the study. It just seems to me that the organization wants to play it safe and conservative. But to play it safe is to be happy with the fact that we are a mid-major.

As for coaching personnel, she may be doing ok, but the money and support is what bothers me. She needs to find ways to make the alumni feel wanted. As for outside support, the Observer has said that City of Charlotte should rally around the University, but she needs to find avenues for the University to reach out to the City.

[QUOTE=Nugget;232454][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]There is a lot of talk here about how much everyone in the Athletic Department dislikes Judy Rose. I am having trouble reconciling that with the fact that we typically keep coaches for a long time and her staff is mostly long-time employees. Maybe you have inside knowledge or were scholarship athletes here and have connections that I do not. All I can do is look at what is visible and wonder.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Judy Rose may not be the AD that we need, but I do not think that I am seeing any well thought out arguments as to why. Show me the light.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Well, well written. There are some on here that have never, for whatever reason, buried the hatchet for whatever transgressions they believe she is responsible for. You speak the truth in terms of retaining coaches, none of which I have ever heard speak ill of her upon departure, including ex-soccer HC John Tart who I have talked to. She is not just in charge of bringing football, building new baseball stadiums or renewing or not renewing basketball coaches. She heads an entire program, one of which has two ranked programs (baseball and golf), conference champions (track and men’s tennis), reigning conference regular season winners (softball and women’s soccer) and first rate facilities. She may not know every athlete that goes through the program, but she spends at least five nights a week at the school at events or in the community where she represents the university at virtually every significant event. She counts among her best friends Mac Everett, Ike Belk, Dale Halton, Mariam Hayes, Mike Minter, and the like. Sure there are people who don’t like her for whatever reason, but they are dwarfed by those that respect the job she has done leading a whole program. There isn’t a CEO in America that doesn’t have critics, and she is no exception. It was only a few years ago that I visited a Florida board and read, from a slew of posters, that Jeremy Foley should be fired for not being able to get a more well known coach than Urban Meyer. You cannot please everyone and as the saying goes – when you try to, you don’t please anyone.

The AD has done some very good things, good bball coaches hiring and got the money to build Halton and the practice facility.

But during this troubled times we need to hear something and see some vision and just plain communication. We all know that this week our program is under big changes but it appears that we are passive and that South Alabama and others are calling all the shots for our program.

Orlando Early seems like a quality coach. He’s at the top of my list, as well.

Orlando Early seems like a quality coach. He's at the top of my list, as well.

I figured if I was patient enough, I would find something that you and I agree on. There it is.

If Bobby Leaves, I hope we push like hell to get Early. Unfortunaley, Dr Phil will probably pull something lame like going after that nerd that got fired from Wyoming…

[QUOTE=Chisox17;232495]
Unfortunaley, Dr Phil will probably pull something lame like going after that nerd that got fired from Wyoming…
[/QUOTE]

That possibility does have me a little worried.

That possibility does have me a little worried.

ditto here

[QUOTE=TheProvider;232487]Well, well written. There are some on here that have never, for whatever reason, buried the hatchet for whatever transgressions they believe she is responsible for. You speak the truth in terms of retaining coaches, none of which I have ever heard speak ill of her upon departure, including ex-soccer HC John Tart who I have talked to. She is not just in charge of bringing football, building new baseball stadiums or renewing or not renewing basketball coaches. She heads an entire program, one of which has two ranked programs (baseball and golf), conference champions (track and men’s tennis), reigning conference regular season winners (softball and women’s soccer) and first rate facilities. She may not know every athlete that goes through the program, but she spends at least five nights a week at the school at events or in the community where she represents the university at virtually every significant event. She counts among her best friends Mac Everett, Ike Belk, Dale Halton, Mariam Hayes, Mike Minter, and the like. Sure there are people who don’t like her for whatever reason, but they are dwarfed by those that respect the job she has done leading a whole program. There isn’t a CEO in America that doesn’t have critics, and she is no exception. It was only a few years ago that I visited a Florida board and read, from a slew of posters, that Jeremy Foley should be fired for not being able to get a more well known coach than Urban Meyer. You cannot please everyone and as the saying goes – when you try to, you don’t please anyone.[/QUOTE]

some invalid points here…there are plenty of former and current athletic department employees I’ve heard say plenty of negative about her mgmt style.

her “friends” are not the topic of discussion here. But since you bring it up, NOBODY has ever questioned how good of a person she is. She is a good person. But she is not a fit AD at this juncture.

and comparing her to Fla is ludicrous.