Katz's Top 50 for next Year : We're 42 on His List

Way too early fo polls I guess, but at least we made the list. He didn’t do his homework though:

[b]WHY NOT: The 49ers still aren't a consistent road team and until they cure that blemish, they'll struggle to crack the top 20. [/b]

I guess our 10-4 road record last year wasn’t that impressive after all. :rolleyes:

Katz’s Summer Sizzlin Top 50

You beat me to the post. He has Wake Forest at number 1.

Very early for a poll but exciting. However Katz is off about our road wins. We did well on the road. What I believe killed us was our home losses to UAB and to George Washington especially.

If we could ever cure the “Savvis Center blemish”, a lot of things in the world be all right.

With that said, I think he did pretty good with the Deacs. I would not be surprised if WFU is a top 5 team this season.

How in the world does he put the Tarholes #2? GA Tech was a final four team, lost only one player and the holes flamed out in the second round.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

how are we one of the lesser known teams in conference usa. also, how does he put marquette ahead of us, they have relatevly the same team that they had last year and had a lousy recruiting class.

He has Cincinnati way too high, and no Memphis.
Strange poll. Some hits, a lot of misses.

[i]Originally posted by ninerfan55[/i]@Jul 19 2004, 06:37 PM [b] how are we one of the lesser known teams in conference usa. also, how does he put marquette ahead of us, they have relatevly the same team that they had last year and had a lousy recruiting class. [/b]
I think he put this together on a whim with little to no research.
[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Jul 19 2004, 06:40 PM [b] He has Cincinnati way too high, and no Memphis. [/b]
Memphis is at 19.

Whoops.

Wake could very well be #1 but they’ll have to earn it for sure. They’ve got a schedule like Michigan State played last season. The schedule is tough, the Preseason NIT, at Cincinnati, Illinois, New Mexico and Temple and home games with Richmond and Texas.

All five starters plus six other letterwinners return from a team that won 21 games and advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16. Only Todd Hendley, who transferred to UNC-Wilmington, and two non-scholarship players are gone from last year’s team. Statistically, Wake Forest returns 98.2 percent of its scoring and 97.1 percent of its rebounding.

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Jul 19 2004, 06:41 PM [b] Whoops. [/b]
It's alright. They're easy to ignore. :D

You can’t have a PRE- season poll without having UVA in it, UVA comes in at 33 ! :lol:

That tells you how early it is.

Actually, Katz may be on to something. He didn’t say we couldn’t win on the road, just that we weren’t consistent.

Think about it. Last year after the opening debacle against GW (BTW, ranked ahead of us in Katz’s list), we beat Syracuse, plus the respective demolitions of NC A&T and UNCA. With a 3-1 record and another chance to make a statement early in the season, we go to Alabama and lose one we could have won. So there goes an opportunity for the Top 25.

We get back on track and beat AppState, Davidson, and Old Dominion. There we are with a 6-2 record, go to Rhode Island with yet another chance to make our case for the Top 25. We give that game away and there goes the next opportunity to crack to polls.

So what do we do. Well, we rip off four straight wins, including a good one against Southern Illinois on their home turf. Once again, poised for the Top 25 with a 10-3 record. We head off to Memphis where, once again, with a chance to make our case for the Top 25, we not only lose but we get our butts kicked by the Tigers.

I could keep going, but it would be the same thing at Saint Louis when we rolled into Savvis with a 15-5 record coming off a big W against Louisville. We all remember how that game ended! :angry:

I don’t know how this guy stays employed by a major media source. He is about as credible as Gregg Doyel.

Katz “broke” the story that Tom Crean was 100% going to Kansas when Roy “I don’t give a shit about Carolina” left.

[b]I don't know how this guy stays employed by a major media source. He is about as credible as Gregg Doyel.[/b]

Easy. He’s so far in Coach K’s hip pocket that ESPN is afraid to get rid of him for fear that Dickie V might quit the network w/ one of his fellow Dookies gone. The only thing surprising about this list is that he doesn’t have Duke #1.

I think Chris Paul is a very nice player and would LOVE to have him at Charlotte, but am I missing something when he’s projected as a top-3 pick in the draft? I mean, he’s 5’10" and doesn’t have a consistent jumper???

[b]Actually, Katz may be on to something. He didn't say we couldn't win on the road, just that we weren't consistent.[/b]

I don’t think we were inconsistant on the road last year. We lost at St. Louis and we lost at Memphis, which we consistantly have. You can say we gave away 'Bama and URI, but we pulled one out of the hat at ODU and ECU gave us a gift at their place. So it evened out a little. The teams we lost to on the road were legit, and we beat some legit teams as well. 10-4 isn’t the mark of inconsistency. That whole comment just didn’t make sense.

The GW game was a fluke. Sure we gave it away, but with Curt in the lineup we win going away. Pops took away any inside scoring we had while Curt was watching in street clothes. Iti had 4 fouls in 5 minutes, so that didn’t help either.

I agree with your can’t get over the hump analysis, though. Nothing new to 49er basketball. The teams that kept us from getting over that hump were no slouches, though.

Wow, Iti only 6-8?

Who’s measuring these kids? I mean that’s false advertising and up there with these coaches falsifying resumes…

[b]I think Chris Paul is a very nice player and would LOVE to have him at Charlotte, but am I missing something when he's projected as a top-3 pick in the draft? I mean, he's 5'10" and doesn't have a consistent jumper??? [/b]

YES, you are definetely missing something. Chris Paul shot 50% from the field and 46% from the 3pt line. That seems pretty consistant to me, quite a bit more consistant that JJ Reddick the greatest shooter ever to live(according to some).

He is by far the best point guard in the country and according to the reports from the 20 and under tryouts possibly the best player in the country.

Who would go ahead of him in the draft???

X, I agree that we had a very good road record last year with some solid wins against Syracuse, Southern Illinois, and Cincinnati, not to mention the overtime heroics at Old Dominion, East Carolina, and TCU. Just when I realize that 10-4 could easily have been 13-1, plus the “what if?” home games against GW if Withers had played and against UAB if someone else in addition to Withers had played!

Anyway, food for thought. Three months until MM…

GO NINERS!!!

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Jul 19 2004, 03:59 PM [b] Who would go ahead of him in the draft??? [/b]
N. Aleksandrov 6-10 210 SF (Serbia), and M. Andriuskevicius 7-2 240 C (Lith) according to NBAdraft.net

I would take Chris Paul #1 though. He runs the team like a verteran, has a deadly shot, excellent handles, and is a relentless defender. Not to mention he plays great in big games